San Jose Earthquakes Stadium - 2015 Can't Come Soon Enough!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chopped up in the burger. Its fresh meat though.....

2. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ? AEG checking in our progress ?
    :rolleyes:

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You didn't stop to chat? Or did he tell you to go home, there's no change at the site?

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I have a different perspective, not being male or a person who goes to soccer games to ogle the players, but I would just as soon eliminate bimboism, Is the idea that we will attract fans who would otherwise be going to the beach or watching beach volleyball? I'd like to believe that our team doesn't need to resort to these kinds of cheap tactics (especially since the girls they hire invariably know nothing about soccer or the team.) And that we can provide better role models for our daughters.

markmcf8, proud smurf, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.
  5. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just spent all weekend at a cheerleading competition. My wife and I were against our daughter joining a team. She argued for months that our son being on a traveling baseball team and a club soccer team is equivalent. We didn't have a legitimate arguement Now after hundreds of hours a year practicing for her club and high school she is going to major in Dance at the University of Michigan on a cheerleading scholarship next year.

My entire family would be interested in watching the performances without ogling. The idea that you would describe something that my daughter loves as bimboism is truly offensive. The fact that you think that she couldn't be a role model is even more offensive. Your post is demeaning to thousands of young ladies who participate in this activity. You are sexualizing these ladies as much as any drunk ogler at the game.

6. Elichaz

Elichaz Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I keep looking at this thread hoping that someone has heard something new. What do any of these posts have to do with 2014 stadium?

QuietType repped this.
  7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a big difference between the adolescent cheerleading squads of High School and younger, and the blatant sexualized performers of many major league sports teams..

Yeah, not sexualized at all...

TyfaneeSue is speaking from the experience so far of the Shakers squad, which you seem to not be familiar with. There are no performances or gymnastics or dances put together for the crowds by the Shakers - they do little more than wave signs to get the crowd to cheer and pass out swag. (at least at this point)

TyfaneeSue's greater point is this: soccer does not need cheerleaders. Who leads our cheers? The Supporters' Groups do, and individual fans. With sports like American football and basketball, there are a lot of interruptions during the game. Breaks between plays, time outs, etc. which soccer doesn't have. It's 45+ minutes straight, a break, then 45+ minutes more. Cheerleaders in soccer would be an actual distraction from the game. Happy for you and your daughter (that's awesome!) but the Earthquakes don't need actual cheerleaders, nor do they need sexually-dressed attractive females (like the Sacramento Kings Dance Team) to attract people.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder that "Shaker squad" are very far from been a cheerleader, the FO use them so young (and maybe old) fans will give them their personal information for MLS marketing purposes, there is not "CHEERLEADING" going on at all, so yes that should be call for what it is bimboisn.
    With all the respect, what your daughter do and what the Shaker Squad does, is two different things.

BTW, there was a thread a but this "shaker squad" that was started a while ago, if you guys like we can continue this conversation here : https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...make-debut-in-2010-wednesday-2-17-10.1336001/

and now back to the main topic of this thread.....

billreeves and QuietType repped this.
  9. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport repped this.
  10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ::sigh:: no one is showing "disdain" for people like the woman in that article, who is genuinely a passionate Quakes fan. We are expressing disdain for the use of the shakers squad for eye candy rather than their outreach. We don't need cheerleaders, we don't need sexualized eye candy. We do need a fan base-building street team like the shakers, however.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. mojoQ

mojoQ Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Arrillagaville
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All attempts to hire scantily uniformed young women to "enhance" the Earthquakes experience have been been failures, starting with the Alexi Lalas Shakers. I don't know if it is different at NFL games or NBA games, but at the Earthquakes, these girls really do seem lost. I think that is is because people come to watch soccer and know the game well. It's actually kind of sad to see these girls running around, not knowing what to do, and if I had a daughter that wanted to do this I would share my feelings about it with her. Moreover, I hope that the team does not go out and a spend a lot of money trying to get something like this to succeed, because any such "success" will be at the expense of the overall soccer experience, which is very good and getting better.

QuietType repped this.
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Honestly, I like this generic version much better then what we've been shown so far, it has an elegant old English style to it.

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did someone say "Olde English"?

[​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    *Urp* :sick: Terrible stuff, fit only for wanna-be gangbangers and teenage delinquents.

krudmonk and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I didn't know that the Quakes had a "Street Team". I would just merge the "Street Team" with the "Shaker Girls", call it the "Street Team", continue it as a co-ed thing, and be done with it.

QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer the "Blue Crew" with better T-Shirt launching equipment and a larger ammo reserve.

Beerking, Albany58 and markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    At least something that could clear the first 5 rows of people. :ROFLMAO:

DotMPP and Earthshaker repped this.
  18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have a few acquaintances in common with one of the girls. She's apparently college educated and politically active. I'm not sure how being a cheerleader negates that.

Goodsport repped this.
  19. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes her a bimbo who doesn't know anything about the sport.

Goodsport repped this.
  20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one was claiming that. We're saying soccer doesn't need that. And as has been pointed out, the Shakers don't do "performances" like you initially posted, so you don't seem to know much about the Shakers squad to be here defending them from criticism.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This isn't about the girls themselves, who may well be lovely people. It's about the organization's decision to objectify them. Like those ads for tractors that show bikini-clad women poised atop the engine. And maybe that helps sell tractors, but the sizzle in soccer should come from the game.

DotMPP, QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1,000,000.

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem to be put in an awkard position at the games, looking so lost, with little apparent role to play in all this, or knowledge of the game. So, we in the SG's do invite them in to learn what we do so they can more effectively join in on cheering on the team, while (hopefully) gaining some pointers on what's going on on the pitch.
    When they're just left to prance around looking hot yet dopey and confused, it's a rather sad sight.
    Maybe a class is in order:
    "Ladies, welcome to Earthquakes 101. I am your teacher. Let us begin."
    [​IMG]

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then may I suggest they assist with one of my pet peeves, and that is helping newbies find their seats. Invariably, these people show up late for the game and then proceed to stand in the aisle blocking your view. I am on the El Camino side, and it is particularly bad, as far as where I sit. The signage for seating at Buck Shaw is terrible, so, it is hard to get too mad at these people (well, except for arriving late). I have complained to Kaval in the past, and suggested improving signage and using the Blue Crew to help, since the security people are hopeless and helpless, though, it really shouldn't be their job. Kaval responded quickly and promised action, but, nothing really changed.

25. Elichaz

Elichaz Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have the same problem in GG..everyone just stands up looking around them they realize they should be in G