Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids (Wednesday, 5/7) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 8, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. Ender500

Ender500 Member

May 4, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Barklage, Khari, and Harden were better than expected. It seemed like Wondo and Khari had good chemistry tonight.

Neuwerld and Das Moots repped this.
  3. Das Moots

Das Moots Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a team that plays down the flanks as a rule we have poor wingers.

bsman and bostero24 repped this.
  4. Rexazure

Rexazure Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    Genoa CFC
    No huge complaints for me tonight. Was impressed with our replacement men. Thought we looked a lot better letting JBP do his thing solo.

Just couldn't get the ball in the goal tonight. Gonna take me awhile to forgive Harris for that power shot from inside the box.

Really really impressed with Barklage. Coming in with little warmup and I thought he held the right side down well, especially with a tired Harris in front of him.

Big fan of letting the RB stay home for the most part and letting Stewart overlap whenever he wants.

Shea is so close to being insanely good. HOMEWORK: take 100 right footed shots from the corner of the box. Figure out how to make yourself a threat on the cross AND the shot.

Loved the interplay on the left side and the 1-2 passes through the center.

Marinquake and evade6317 repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    We DON'T know WHAT we're DO-ing
    We DON'T know WHAT we're DO-ing

Beerking, OWN(yewu)ED, bostero24 and 3 others repped this.
  6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it should be surprising how Harden plays anymore. He has turned out very good performances in his games this season.

I thought the team played quite well big improvements this game from the past few. Hopefully they continue to improve and get it going in the final 3rd. Excellent possession today. The shots just didn't fall in anyone's favor today which happens. I'm content with this point.

Barklage is showing improvements, and I know he can be a better player he was solid when he played for New York and hopefully that translates here in the coming weeks.

Jon Busch's distribution was superb tonight.

A side note, I've been watching Clint Irwin since he took over the starting job when Pickens got hurt last year, this kid is really good. I wouldn't be surprised if the next cycle he gets some serious attention with the USMNT so I look forward to that.

blurryblue repped this.
  7. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, we need a win and Watson puts Koval. His lineups and especially overuse of Harris are driving me crazy. Doyle put together a crappy team and Watson coaches it into the ground. Is there a reason all our guys choke on shots and hit them straight at the keeper?

Positives: JBP and Khari just proved they should start. Which means they're back on the bench next game. Also the D was great minus Gorlitz and Busch's feet.

Really though, before we couldn't get chances, now we can't finish. The team is poisoned and it starts with Doyle and Watson.

bostero24, leocal, Marinquake and 2 others repped this.
  8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First, the reason I stay home is to avoid that stupid chanting.

Second, what could any coach do that would have changed the result tonight? The midfield gave the ball on a silver platter to both forwards multiple times, and they both threw it away. No coach can do anything about that.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  9. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Harris is a terrible soccer player. All he seems to be able to do is kill promising attacking sequences and smash wide open shots straight at the keeper. Cato is much better—he can actually take players on and provide service to teammates.

Khari was surprisingly good. He's the only CM we have that can pass the ball forward.

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't put so much blame on Watson. But Doyle I do. I think if you eliminate Doyle the player personal would be different. You can't blame Watson for everyone missing their shots. As forwards its their job to score.

And as for Harris, not much else to choose from for Wing Midfielders because 1 is hurt, and 2 Doyle's ass didn't find any. I personally think Doyle is responsible.

11. Das Moots

Das Moots Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watson's no saint, he's as responsible as Doyle on how bad we suck.

Can them both!

Beerking, bostero24, soccerbone and 3 others repped this.
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #12 TyffaneeSue, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    I am stoked to realize that wtf reads these boards. Jbp and khari starting, good moves. If only he had taken all my advice and started billy too...well, next time, marky boy.

You know who was the biggest surprise? That guy they subbed in for gorlitz. He looked just like the brandon we saw earlier this season, but this barklage was a beast! Doesn't take away the pain of seeing gorlitz burt like that but it's encouraging.

soccerbone and evade6317 repped this.
  13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not started Harris, not run Gordon a full 90 but instead use him as a super sub, subbed earlier, used speed as an advantage against Colorado's slow defense, yadda yadda. But you will notice I used a picture of all three of our leadership. Watson can only work with what he has, and that's on Doyle. The fact that Doyle is still around is on Kaval. They are all in over their heads, and this season is not only going down the tubes fast, but we are going to be really hurting ourselves going forward with a new stadium next year. How many of these guys are going to be 31, 32 years old next year? Doyle is stop gaping this season but we're going to be forced to blow this team up again simply because so many of our guys are in the sunset of their careers.

But what should we expect, we're just a small club...

The real travesty in all this is we're hurting Wondo's chances at Brazil. This poor team we've assembled is not doing him justice and he's suffering because of it. Ironically, the FO sees #Wondo2Brazil as a money making venture and is hyping it all they can. How about #FireWatson and #FireDoyle instead?

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But none of that matter. The team is there to make scoring chances. Harris could have spent all game drawing pictures with crayons for all I care if the team generates chances. And they did. The forwards couldn't convert. And one of the forwards that didn't convert is one that wouldn't go away even if all the coaching staff were changed. It is nothing but Wondolowski's and Gordon's fault.

15. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this wont be a popular opinion (Because its positive) but i think we did a really good job all around.. Just couldn't finish. Attiba and Gordon have to put those away. I thought the Khari sub was right (because he was gassed) but I would have liked to see Billy in there. My conclusion Khari-JBP > Cronin-Koval.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought Salinas had a pretty good game. Harris, on the other hand, not so much.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    Not a bad game on our end, imo. We were unlucky to not get 3 points.

Finishing, obviously was poor. Hard to imagine Wondo getting a ticket to Brazil the way he finished tonight.

It was nice seeing *some* avenues of attack through the middle.

I would like to see Stewart make an overlapping run while Shea cuts to the middle. Should take one defender off shea (or someone else)

18. Ender500

Ender500 Member

May 4, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really liked how the CBs would pass to JBP or Khari instead of going for the long ball in the second half. If this season gets worse though we should start using that hashtag from quiettype, #FireDoyle, and bombard kaval's twitter with it.

19. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Back from the game. Wow, I kinda feel like I saw a different match than some of you. One between two kinda crappy teams, especially in the first half (again). I'm surprised no one commented on Busch; out of the gate he was playing like someone had just told him about a family tragedy or something. He came around eventually, not that he had all that much to do what with many of Colorado's shots achieving low orbit. They certainly had opportunities to score. Is Colorado really fourth on the combined table? Maybe I need to lower my expectations on MLS play a few notches from last year.

Likewise, I'm not all that enthused by JBP. In fact I don't feel like I need to see him play again. So maybe Khari-JBP beats (still recovering from injury?)-Cronin-Koval, but I attribute that more to Khari being able to keep his feet and make runs up the center (and even be a scoring threat). As for Pierazzi, AKA Backupalozzi, he was only effective in the center at those points in the game where Colorado (mysteriously) ceded control of it. Did he feed our forwards much? If so, I missed it.

There were nice plays here and there, and Shea made some nice runs, but I didn't see all that much that made me think, "that's why I come to these games!" Blah.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No, JPB hit many accurate forward passes as well, and plays more defense. Khari is better in front of him though because he will take the ball forward on the ground a little sometimes (wish he'd do it more) and has the good long shot. That Khari shot just over the bar was left-footed too I think BTW.

Seems like Salinas has been coached to sustain his attacks a little longer and look to shoot more and I think it was a good thing. He had some good looks. And if you can get the defense a little bit more off balance and attack a little deeper it increases the chance for a goal.

21. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorlitz possibly out for season from knee injury according to jonah freedman on twitter.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shanktastic! Two poor teams who couldn't shoot. Colorado's left mid actually shot one out of the stadium. Agree with the comment of Busch starting off poorly with two bad clearances, but Colorado was even worse. We really should have had a goal in the first 10 minutes....

The Quakes did play better with the changes at center midfield. I disagree with the Harris comments and thought he played well at both ends, minus his shot directly at the keeper. Harden and Khari had good games and JBP was better, but faded...

I agree with the comments the forwards and Shea struggled with consistency and finishing.

Cato and Koval off the bench. While they didn't play bad, it was kind of sad. Not much of a threat...

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Horrible news about Gorlitz. I haven't read the pbp, but it looked as though he was deliberately pushed into the boards.

Sam has not been himself all season, and JBP was a big step up. I think what we're seeing now is that the two can't play at the same time -- not in the roles defined for them.

Atiba had some good moves, and ten bad moves for every good one, including taking a couple of really bad shots not exactly on goal when he should have passed. Or maybe he was trying to pass. He has no game sense. At one point near the end of the game, he had the ball right in front of me and I could see his expression as the wheels slowly turned and he tried to figure out what he was supposed to do with it.

What is this fascinating with Atiba? Start Cato and let's send Atiba onto his next team. He's only played for half the clubs so far.

Khari -- as I said in my mangled riding-home-in-the-car-typing-on-phone-with-cracked-screen post -- looked like the player we thought he was the first time around. I always used to say that he was a big guy who played like a little guy. Maybe he's channeling Muma, but he no longer is getting pushed off the ball by guys half his size, and I would have been ok with a few more rockets from 35 yards out.

soccerbone repped this.
  24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad. He had a good game and I liked his play. I always cring when players try to shield the ball. The Colorado player should be fined for the play. No need...

25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    For the JBP haters or doubters out there, he had 46 successful passes and 1, I repeat, 1 unsuccessful pass, and looks like 3/4 to 80% were forward, plus 6 recoveries. Khari had 40 successful passes, 7 unsuccessful ones and I think 2 or 3 recoveries, and probably no more forward passes than JBP or possibly less. He did possess the ball forward a lot more than JBP, but that's fine - those things are indicative of the roles that they played.

soccerbone, Marinquake and TyffaneeSue repped this.