Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids (Saturday, 4/19) postgame (R)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Apr 19, 2014.

1. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 lurking, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Just, no mark. Kyle Beckerman ranges forward for RSL, scoring and assisting on goals, and hes still a d-mid. He was definitely playing back.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-san-jose-earthquakes-keep-clean-sheet-vs-col

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their's no way your as ignorant as you come off as.

Shea hasn't played well the past 2 games. He's a steaky flash in the pan player. He's not an everyday starter in my opinion still, but its pathetic he's one of the better options we have.

JJ - He will continue to have streaky good days and bad days, thats expected from a rookie.

Görlitz/Beitashour - Thats because Barks can't get 100% healthy, other wise I still think he's on par with your love Child Beitashour. You need to get off the Beitashour is gone train, players come and players go. Have you even seen any Whitecaps games this year? Beita is much more physical this year than in years past. What will you do if he pulls some dirty tactics against our own team like he did when he stomped Donovan? Claim high hell?

Busch - He makes his own choices, how is it on the coaches not Jon? Clearly they give him direction but Jon can choose to play the ball as he pleases. He's never had good distribution dating back to his Fire & Crew Days and he's always distributed the ball the same.

How can you say we've turned Adam into a guy who bashes other guys for no reason? He did that on his own, he didn't display such actions or play during the preseason at all. Every player makes bone head mistakes, he's not a dirty bashing player by any means.

I agree on the no-protection for Gordon. He was getting smashed all night long.

Once again

Attached Files:

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I agree with lurking that this was actually kind of a step forward game. I never really had the feeling that CO was going to score. And I thought Gorlitz played great. So many great passes. I was hoping that what I saw in preseason would translate to the real games, and it did. Just about every time he had the ball, the possession ended with a great pass. He's got a great curling in diagonal ball from the right side.

Djalo was also excellent in his limited minutes. Put a ball on a platter to Gordon, but at that point Gordon was basically immobile. Sad to the Dja man him hobble off. Kinda seemed like he wasn't 100% when he came in. He didn't quite have the burst that I would expect him to have.

JJ Koval had kind of an up and down game. Worst I've seen him do so far, but a few good moments. I think Pierazzi would have done well in this game. It was an easier game to play in the midfield, with CO's diamond 4-4-2.

Harden was good, though he is susceptible to speed, and a few times he had to kind of lunge to try to work around someone beating him. Definitely a good guy to have on the team as depth.

I was feeling pretty good about the Quakes chances as the game wound down, but then Jahn came in for Gordon (wanted to see Schuler), and the next thing you know the Quakes are down a man and Djalo is going out too. A double whammy of badness.

soccerbone repped this.
  4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we hit the cross bar twice early in the game... I assume that is on frame... literally.

Tone Capone repped this.
  5. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I liked Gorlitz a lot, quality distribution out of the back, unfortunately Harris was in front of him. Harris can't buy a pass in the attacking third.... really snuffed some promising opportunities. On the other flank Salinas had one of his poor decision making games. Couple the weak flank play with a plodding Gordo up top and a mediocre game from JJ in the attacking third and the offense really didn't have a chance. Still, defensively I thought we were more consistent with JJ and Cronin in the middle and the back line played well. Going forward we need to see what Schuler/ Wondo looks like. Gordon is a much better 25 minute sub than a starter. Not much going on up top with him except dead ball situations. We kept it clean on the road with Harden at LB, not bad, take the point and move on.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't really get all of the Attila the Harris bashing in the in-game thread. I mean he wasn't great, but he wasn't bad either. Funny thing about him is that I would assume, OK, he's played forward, he should be able to shoot, but that seems to be the weakest part of his game. What surprises me is that his passing is actually not bad. He combines pretty well. First part of the game, the Quakes attack tended to be more on his side.

As for Jahn, my theory is that the coaches are coaching him up to be more aggressive. He is one of the most naturally timid players I've seen in MLS, so I'm guessing that the coaches are working with him on that. So he probably comes into the game and he's got this mantra going on in his head "Be aggressive, Adam, be aggressive!!" Then he makes a challenge, gets in a bad hit on a guy, and he's gone. That's the problem with trying to make a player play against type. It will tend to come out forced, unnatural, and awkward, and that results in bad things, generally.

7. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they keep JJ Koval as the starter even with all the mistakes. The players can't give up on the season, but I think it's down the tubes already. So, if we just let JJK get some more experience playing in the middle (and not make the mistake of converting him to a R back) we'd probably have a good player by about the 2/3 point in the season. He can improve, I suspect, just by dissecting his own film and getting more experience. He'll be better too if he's not playing with Harris.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apart from everything else, the subs were terrible, and that's on WaTF. How can you keep Flash in the game a full 15 minutes after he should have been pulled? And how can you send in a player who's only good for 15 minutes? Don't you watch these guys in practice? Yes, we all love Jello-man, but dumb subs just add to the frustration. The Jahn sub may have made some sense, but the foul did not. When you send in guys that late in the game, don't you tell them specifically/explicitly what you're expecting from them? Or is it just: go out and have fun! Oh, and score a goal too!

9. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

10. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since the end of the shootout era, the latest that San Jose won its first game was its 4th game in 2005. Until this year, 5 games and counting.

Marinquake, ant0n, bsman and 3 others repped this.
  11. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was not only weird, it was annoying. I'm sure it was by design too, given the quotes from Watson about other teams crowding the midfield. Our solution? Have your DP goal scoring machine drop into a five man midfield, have ultra slow Alan Gordon as your lone forward, and have Wondo tracking back into his own box and making tackles. Awesome.

12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've barely scored 8 goals. Thats as much as Chivas and Portland have (though the have a game on them). The difference is they have better defense and they've managed to get some wins. Vancouver right behing them with more goals scored. Colorado is not a good team and that will be made clearer as the season moves on.

We matched well with them because we are both teams that don't have good offense or possession or technical skill, but we can scrap things out with defense. Colorado sucks a little less than we do, yes.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 QuietType, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    So, the worst start for the Quakes since 2005? That's gotta look great on your resume.

soccerbone and ant0n repped this.
  14. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Watson is employing the strategy of a coach who knows that his team is poor. Defense first, sneak a goal and bunker. It worked last year to turn around the dire first half of the season. The good second half last year should have translated into a good start this year. Instead, the team is off to its worst start in its history. I attribute this situation more to bad off season management rather than bad coaching, even if Watson is little more than adequate and inexperienced.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Plus having your back line and keeper routinely boot the ball all the way past the midfield...to no one. The game was played as if the best possible outcome was a tie. All defense, timid offense.

Beerking, ColinMcCarthy and QuietType repped this.
  16. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't disagree. But it raises the question: why is the team poor? who is making the offseason choices? Does Watson have a say? Is Doyle the lone man in charge of those decisions? Are Doyle's hands tied in some respects? (DP), but not others? (Beita, Morrow, Baca = all gone)? We had an absolutely terrible start to the season last year. We knew it. Vowed it wouldn't happen again. And now we've repeated it.

And why not have Wondo as the target? Klinsmann used him there against Mexico, no?

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Thank God Portland sucks this year or we'd be all alone at the bottom..

18. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last night was just a pathetic performance, not a single shot on target in the entire game i believe. Maybe one?
    Our entire purpose was to just sit back and spoil the game and defend and get out of there with a point, even though we were win less in our first 4, we were content with a point from a mediocre team in the same conference.
    The attitude and tactics were awful, that's Watson's fault. I believe we will end up with one of the smallest points totals in MLS history & i firmly believe we will be the lowest goals scorers in an MLS season ever, i cant even see us getting 25 goals this year.
    Alan Gordon practically subbed himself, why was Cato brought on & not a more defensive player when we went down to 10? Watson & the FO haven't got a clue what thy are doing & we suck so bad & when Victor & Wondo & Goodson are at thw world cup we will stink even worse.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .........what sucks even more is knowing completely well that Portland would put us to the mat :(

TyffaneeSue, Beerking and bostero24 repped this.
  20. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beitashour has played all 90 minutes in 7 games so far this season. Let's compare Barklage to him when our guy has done that. As for "dirty tactics", please.

The coach determines how the ball should usually be distributed based on the team's style and tactics. Yes the keeper can always boot the ball if there is danger but if the coach emphasizes and works on playing out of the back during training then the team will be in a position to do so during games. The poor distribution is partly on the coach.

Jahn is not a physical player .... unfortunately our team is turning him into the wrong type (i.e. "Bash Bros.") of physical.

Don't let the doorknob poke you in the ass on the way out.

mjlee22 and QuietType repped this.
  21. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's just that Harris doesn't offer anything special at all. He can play short passes and combine decently ... that's generally his game and it's why Pareja liked him in his 4-3-3 ... but he's not going to do squat for you as a winger in a flat 4-4-2. I'm pretty sure only Watson and Doyle actually think that because we traded him for Chavez, we should play him in exactly the same role. Good theory about Jahn.

22. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed on Gorlitz. I thought he was really good, especially for his first game. A few mistakes, but good passing and some smart, experienced play. That early driven cross that looped between Colorado's defense and GK was immaculate. Reminiscent of some of the crosses Beitashour put in before his sports hernia.

Djalo too...fun to watch, and effective in his 18 minutes on the field. Two or three excellent services into the box, and definitely gave Colorado's defense something to think about.

Yeah, Harris is alright, but he offers very little as a winger. He had a couple chances to serve in crosses vs Colorado and hit the ball weakly into the GK. In our system, he would probably be better up top. Has size and speed and is good in the air.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not that thrilled with Gordon as lone forward because he is very slow. He can't win a ball where he as to beat someone to it. Lenhart is a much better option.

However, I'm fine with Wondo dropping back more into midfield. I forgot which one, but there was one year where he played a lot of wide mid, and it really didn't seem to keep him from scoring at all. He even had some multi-goal games as a wide mid, and possibly even a hat trick. What an extra man in the midfield does is to help your team move the ball through the midfield and attack in numbers, rather than the long ball over the midfield, no support and Wondo and Gordon isolated against a raft of defenders.

I know Wondo has played lone forward a bit with the Nats but I'm not a big fan of him in that role. He is also very slow, possibly almost as slow as Gordon. Watching Gordon back there, I had flashbacks to the 2005 Quakes when Alejandro Moreno was playing a target role. Slowest MLS player I've ever seen, possibly even slower than Jahn. He couldn't win anything unless it was right at his feet. 'Course the Quakes were very good that year anyway, probably because they had a guy named DeRo terrorizing the midfield.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right! That game looked like a demonstration of the capabilities of the walking wounded.

25. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We got a SS in 2005.