Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids (Saturday, 4/19) postgame (R)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Apr 19, 2014.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since no one else is going there.

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Pathetic game, we played not to lose. 3 points, bottom of the league awful. Disgraceful. Unacceptable. Zero shots on goal = horrific nightmare.

nihon2000, markmcf8, ant0n and 2 others repped this.
  3. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Crap play, crap refereeing by Edvin "cautionary card-free for Colorado day!" Jurisonuvavitch, crap goalkeeping (how many times did Busch kick the ball out of play?), crap commentating by Andrew "closet Colorado fan" Passarelli. Yannick fun to watch but don't get up for a beer or you'll miss it.

Tiny bright spot of Gorlitz' first game not bright enough to have made the game worth watching.

Meanwhile, the injury list just gets longer and longer since our players have little in the way of on-field protection.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree!

6. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad when our guys have to practically pass out on the pitch and wave the white flag at our sideline to get the attention of the coaching staff that they're dying out there.

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the road, with injuries, and we largely kept Colorado from having any decent chances. While we didnt hold much possession, we moved the ball better and were more organized then in some previous games. It wasnt just a walk it up the field against us kind of game.

We had 60ish minutes of Harris, and Gordon looks done at this point of his career as a starter, so our attack was problematic. But getting Tommy Thompson healthy, getting Djalo fit enough to start, getting Lenny back, those are things we need to happen.

Was an ugly game true, but there was definite improvement.

dred, chris thebassplayer and soccerbone repped this.
  8. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    improvement,.... seriously?!?

ant0n and QuietType repped this.
  9. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not much to say. Boring game. The highlight is that a new acquisition (Gorlitz) finally takes the field in the fifth match, doesn't embarrass himself and reminds us how to spell "Beitashour." Watson already realizes Pierazzi is a bust; Koval is not much better, but younger, cheaper and will improve rapidly.

Yannick "Nolo" Djalo and Adam Jahn, thanks for the cameos. What's the record for the fastest red card in MLS history? Ironic that it goes to the slowest MLS player ever.

Next week's game is virtually a must win. Look for a Bobby Burling own goal as he channels his past life as a San Jose forward.

10. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    What's concerning to me is the wildly inconsistent (actually consistent towards Colorado) refereeing. We pick up two yellows and one red, to zero yellos and zero reds. Watch the play if you've recorded it, and draw up a spread sheet...

There were at least 7 challenges/fouls by Colorado that were up the yellow card given to the Quakes by Colorado and zero given. This should be something that the league takes up with the USSF, wildly inconsistent, very biased towards Colorado.

That said, the Quakes played poorly, no offense. I disagree with the post that this midfield was the same as the JP-Cronin midfield, I thought it was marginally better. But better is better.

Good D, very surprised Gorlitz was able to go 90+ since he hadn't played at all, and he played very well. Very pleased by the play of Harden. Goodson and Bernardez excellent as well.

No offense to speak of at all.

Djallo off injured. Gordon off injured. Harris being Harris. So what do we do next week?

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There was no "improvement" in offense, we had ZERO shots on goal.

ant0n, Beerking and QuietType repped this.
  12. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 soccerbone, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    The midfield improvement is more to do with not having Cronin and Pierazzi at the same time and being more of a diamond than empty bucket.

We still need a better AM and Im curious how JBP would do in his proper role as DM (not box to box).

Unreal that Gordon's body had to fall apart for Watson to do his job. Between him and Doyle nothing has changed with this team since 08.

And oh my God never let Harris play again. Bring back Garza, I will be so pissed if Harris starts for Gordon instead of Schuler next week.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sub would you have made that Watson didn't? It kind of ties your hands when you have two injuries you need to sub for.

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get so jealous watching these other teams with their talented playmakers. Sanchez or whoever their #7 was, was great. Columbus had one last week. But we can't find one for the life of us. We suck.

15. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    markmcf8 and darkstar10990 repped this.
  16. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    This league does not want the Quakes to win. I feel we get the most inconsistent calls out there.

Pisses me off that Gonzalez still gets to play despite his blindside hit on Wondo last week. Yet Jahn gets a red card today. On top of that, no card for Buddle who elbowed Bernardez in the 42nd. Buddle had no business keeping his elbow up high, looked pretty blatant to me.

The refs and DC will give cards and suspensions to SJEQ any chance they get.

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This weeks game was a must win and look how well we did with that.:(

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    bostero24 repped this.
  19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Offense hasnt been as big a problem as defense to date. We had scored 5 in the first 4, but gave up 7. I dont know about you, but a 1.75 GAA is a bigger problem in my eyes then a 1.25 GPG. Our attacking problems are personnel related in my view, which is a problem. But that has a pretty clear set of solutions. Get Lenhart and Thompson healthy, get Djalo fit enough to start. What has concerned me has been our defensive and midfield play. We were getting run over through midfield, allowing teams to transition straight through the center of the field. On the road, we stopped that, against a team with one of the best CAMs in the league. Seriously, Powers didn't do a thing. That is a huge win in my eyes.

So we just got a point on the road while never losing control of the game on the road against the team sitting 2nd in the conference, and people act like we just lost by 3 at home. It wasnt pretty, but it was composed, something that I cant say about other games we had this season.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    3 of those goals were in one match that SJ drew. The Quakes have 2 goals in the other 4 matches.
    I'd be more optimistic if San Jose had won one of its first three matches at home. We're back into another season of what if's and wishful optimism based on the health of players who are new to the team. Certainly, the Rapids must be disappointed with their performance, but they had just won two straight on the road.

ColinMcCarthy and QuietType repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    nihon2000, leocal and QuietType repped this.
  22. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told you so... Wait for the mid season DP signing to save some of the season. LOL.

Smurfquake repped this.
  23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Its a 34 game season. People who think this was a "must win" game are out of their minds. We went on the road, against a good team, and effectively killed the game. We haven't effectively dictated the tempo of a first half or second half once this season when we weren't behind. We were the better team when we had Djalo on the field.

Was this a wonderful performance? No, it was a good defensive performance and a bad offensive one. But it was an improvement in the area I was most concerned about.

Or let me put it this way, that was kind of the ugly performance we could crank out in the second half of last year and get results. Certainly wasnt pretty, but it got the job done. Now, if we get the creative attacking pieces we picked up (Thompson and Djalo) onto the field we can start playing prettier soccer. But winning, we needed to be able to play that kind of defensive game to do that. That is huge, that is something we havent done yet, so, yeah, in my eyes thats an important improvement.

DotMPP repped this.
  24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated. He will do just enough to keep his job, but we won't make the playoffs.

ant0n and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's what I'm saying. We are into the land of hopeful if's while the team digs itself into a hole yet again. Good defense, no offense in the road matches so far. That's the Watson strategy, same against SKC, which would be fine if they win home matches. Better do so next week.