Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Club Deportivo Chivas USA (Sunday, 5/13) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 13, 2012.

1. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

2. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    every time? so he only completed one pass? i would suggest you watch the game again

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Garza reads the game well, anticipates where he needs to be...I thought he did very well (except for not getting the ball passed to him enough at the beginning) and the fans in the middle east stands -- closest to him -- were pretty excited about his play. Lots of enthusiastic shouts in his direction.

The most notable aspect of that game was how much timewasting Salazar allowed. He knew it was happening -- kept tapping his watch. But no one was penalized for it. All those absurd collapses on the field, where minutes passed while the players went to get drinks, only to see the Chivas player pop back up and start playing as if he'd hadn't suffered the most minor owwie. I'll bet they wasted at least 7 or 8 minutes just doing that. And that minute or so wasted during a sub while both players were on the field and seemed confused about it. Really?

I hope Frank learns that this lineup isn't working for us. Moreno's skill set is too limited (or maybe just not a fit with this team) for him to start. I don't think Khari is as awful as some here seem to think, but he needs to assert himself (which doesn't mean fouling). Both he and Simon could use some "this is my ball and you're not touching it" attitude.

4. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Khari was much worse than Moreno, IMO

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. They've got to come out of the chute on fire. They're taking too long to heat it up.

Beerking repped this.
  6. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was missing his man on sqaure balls to a wide open wing. I thought he was atrocious. Let's put it this way, does he look anything like he did in the video we were fed when they signed him? I have yet to see that. I did see him win a ball today, that seemed to be a first.

7. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Not good in the first half, second half was much improved, but Chivas parked the bus in front of goal. Same for Dawkins. Poor first half, but his second half was fine. Obviously we like our absent pacy wing players, but against a bunkered team, they would have struggled. I agree that Khari wasn't winning the midfield battles much. Would have preferred to have a fit Cronin.
    Gordon took a while to get settled into the game, Guvenisik looked promising, I'd like to see more of him. Beta was awesome as usual. Garza was meh. Rookie looked like a rookie, some hope yet for our babyface-Hucks, but today was no breakout performance.

I have to say though, Jason Hernandez has been poor. It seems like he is there every time an opponent scores. Really can't wait to get Bernardez back.

8. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    hernandez had a very good game today. blaming him for that goal is criminal. the blame falls on the team, but mostly dawkins, for not moving towards the long ball, and instead staying stationary and getting beat

hc897 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were thinking the exact same thing. He was either stripped of the ball, beat to the ball, made a bad pass, or brought a breakaway to a dead stop. Plus, after watching James Riley jump past him (leading to the first goal), we suddenly realized that we've never seen Simon jump. Not sure he can. Plus, he's slow and can't kick very far.

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That first half was frustrating. The team got beat on one play and unfortunately that was enough to take the energy out of the Quakes. I think Dawkins was the worst man out there for very long stretches. He couldn't combine, he defended poorly and dropped back so deeply that he took himself out of the game a lot. His second half was more promising, but he's not worth starting right now, just can't rely on him to make the right decisions. I don't think the team was all that bad. Unlucky not to finish a chance or two against a Chivas team that was about as disciplined as I've ever seen any team play. So long as we keep getting results with three starters out, I can't complain too much.

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Secondly yallop's tactics were lacking towards the end. He effectively played a 4-1-1-4. He needed a trailing forward or someone to come into the space to pick up rebounds, and there was no one. Plus, the box got so congested with our players and their players, the guys couldn't get a shot off or got in each other's way. It was poor coaching.

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for all the posts. Question: what's the record for number of unproductive corner kicks in a game? Surely we came close to the record? Although, Kennedy was part of the reason for that, he made a lot of great saves.

13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hats off to the Ultras....always a joy to hear them. Due to it being mothers day, I was expecting a small crowd, but was pleasantly surprised to see the turnout.

Had just gotten to my seat when Chivas scored. Looks like Dawkins was ball watching and a Chivas player just stepped in front of him, got the ball and took off...

I was hoping for a 4-0 blowout, but the Quakes were lucky to get a tie. They just looked out of sync. Moreno seemed to be off on many of his passes. Overall not the best performance by any means....to many bad passes, poor free kicks, poor crosses and a few weak corner kicks.

Hopefully things will be firing on all cylinders next Saturday against Columbus...

14. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salinas can beat his man? For pace he can.. That's about it. Also Garza can help the team keep possession really also, because like you said he can pass with both feet. What we saw of him today shows a lot of promise, something I could not say about Ellis and Ampai last year. He actually looks like a young player Yallop can count on.

In regards to the formation change in the second I think a 3-5-2 would have been a lot better early on because we could you would have spread the field out a lot better. There would have been more of an emphasis of playing through the Chivas backline instead of continuous crosses into a box full of Chivas players looking to take clear the ball out. It made the attack predictable and disjointed. There were times the forwards would be making the same runs. It was lazy in a way, because the forwards themselves did not look to create a play or lead an attack. They just wanted to stay up there and be served up so they could score.

Either way though, this game should have been won with the guys we had at our disposal. There really is no spark in the team right now and you cannot rely on Chavez to be that spark because he is just one of 11 players. Someone else has to be ready to step their game up and lead if they want to aspire for success.

15. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. A lot of different things contributed to a stale performance. Part of that problem was playing Baca out wide and knowing full well that Dawkins is one to likes to cut inside instead making a run down the line. So you limit your options.

16. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to play player just because he is kinda fast? WHY? If you want an effective wide player he as to be able to pass and be able to beat his man. Ampai can pass. Not as well as Baca though, so we'd be worse off.

17. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    These stats sum up the game pretty well:

Quakes:
    24 Shots
    6 Saved
    8 Blocked
    15 Corners

Chivas:
    5 Shots
    0 Saved
    0 Blocked
    0 Corners

The Houston game looked like justice by comparison.

ColinMcCarthy and Revolt repped this.
  18. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was thinking the same thing. wearing heat-absorbing black jerseys not a good idea in hot daytime weather. plus moreno and khari laying eggs today did not help.

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't worn anything but black this year huh? Getting old. Wear the blues for a change.

QuietType repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I thought the game would play a bit more evenly than it did, but Chivas went defensive after their early goal, and way defensive in the 2nd half. So that skews the stats. But Chivas's GK Kennedy is very good, and I was also a bit worried about Correa (mentioned him as a potential problem in the pre-game thread). So more reasons to think that it might be a close match.

Generally the home team has more possession and plays more aggressively, takes more shots, etc. But if the visiting team gets ahead, then it just amplifies that effect. This was pretty much the Quakes 2010 MO; get an early Wondo goal and then bunker.

Alan Gordon - what a great dude. Not just because of another clutch goal, but after the game he's talking about how Lenhart softens up the defense for him, and how Lennie is the guy and he's here to push him and clean up after him (something to that effect). Great team attitude.

The Garza assist is what we should have had last week to win (or at least tie) in Vancouver.

Every team has one of these games once in a while, where they control the game for the most part, but the ball doesn't find the net, and the other team scores on a relatively rare chance. The good thing is that didn't succumb to the loss; they have enough depth that a couple of guys with very little playing time could come in and tie the game up.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  21. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought Corrales had one of his best games of the year.

22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Where was he on the goal that came from his side again? Out of the picture, somewhere around downtown Mountain View I think, sauntering his way back to Buck Shaw.

ant0n repped this.
  23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plain fact of the matter was that Hernandez was the one that gave the ball away. And Hernandez failed to mark adequately the man who scored. Corrales and Dawkins both had their chances to cover for Hernandez' mistake and didn't. But the goal is on Hernandez x2.

24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that Yallop wants Khari on the field and so he'll put him wherever in random positions where he doesn't play well. He used to do this with Corrales too and it didn't really work. Khari is just not good enough to justify playing him out of position to get him on the field.

25. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    nope. dawkins didn't check back to the ball. thats on him.