San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the quote,my guess is our FO has read the rules and made sure that they hit the requirement exactly, whereas the other sources are probably another club without full access to information and dont know everything that Thompson was involved in.

Im not too worried at this point, this isnt something the FO decided to do at the last minute, they were gearing up to homegrown Thompson last year. We will find out soon enough I guess though.

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives' statement that Tommy would be a top 5 or 10 pick certainly ups the ante and means a lot is at stake whichever way it ends up going.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    note that color combo ;-)

10. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    white socks with non-white shirt?! what is this, the 2009 quakes?

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though to be fair, that only happened in one or two games and thankfully never again since then. ;)

But definitely change the white socks in that photo to blue socks and they'll have achieved San Jose Earthquakes primary uniform color combo perfection! :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well.....we are idiots for not utilizing that partnership anyways, let them have it. The stupid shall be punished.

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit hypocritical for us to be trying to block this sacramento affiliation. Very anti-competitive, much like what the Giants are doing to Lew Wolff's A's and San Jose. But I guess MLS is single-entity so we get out of anti-trust rules like that.

16. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://owhentheyanks.com/2013/08/14/ussda-san-jose-earthquakes-now-or-never/
    Hey I just found this article written a few months back, and I didn't know we had this much talent in the academy! Ive known about Bashti (And im really excited about his talent) but i didnt know we had this many potential first team players. but this kid Bashti can be really special. He gets called up to all the USMNT youth camps and he's played in 3 reserve league games this year as a 16 year old. With the "big boys"!

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  17. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So what happens when marcinkowski and mackintosh are available for us to sign?

19. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McIntosh will be available in 2 years, and JT in 5-6 years I believe. (If they both decide to graduate college) No rushing them tho, Goalkeepers are like fine wine. Doyle told me Bingham is definitely the goalie of the future for our club.

20. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so, his Mohawk was badass.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

22. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I generally agree with the piece but the premise that truly elite players are going to college is simply false. Club soccer in the U.S., which includes the development academies, hasn't yet produce "elite" (as the rest of the world defines it) field players. It has produced a few players who seem capable of transitioning directly to MLS (recent example Fagundez, hoping TT could be as well) which is a start but a long way from where things need to be.

24. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are a long way from matching some of the other MLS club academy programs. I'll use FCD as an example since I since relocated to the area. Despite traditionally poor attendance at FC Dallas games, it is phenomenal to see the reach and brand recognition that FCD has in the Dallas metroplex. They are in my opinion the largest youth club soccer team in the area and probably account for nearly 1/2 of youth soccer players in the area. Other notable clubs are the Texans, Andromeda, Rush, United, Solar, etc. but they lack the pull and participation that FCD enjoys.

I spend most weekends at one youth tournament or another and see hundreds of kids of different ages, abilities, and gender all wearing the FCD kit. While driving you are bound to see FCD stickers on cars if you are paying attention to such things. It is no wonder that they have so many homegrown signings with sports being a high priority for youth in the area and such large participation.

The coaching is generally very good at the youth level and the coaches regularly confer with the true academy team and its coaches by giving updates on 'special' players. There are differing levels and players have the opportunity to advance in level and be challenged. There is a vision here that I wish the Quakes were able to emulate.

Here is a situation where FCD could learn to market like the Quakes and the Quakes could learn to 'academy' like FCD.