San Francisco Expansion Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by tac7713, Nov 2, 2010.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dimitry Piterman tried a USL team with the California Victory and they were based in San Francisco. They only lasted one year.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So if the 49ers ever get their stadium built at Great America, they'll need an entirely new fanbase?

Nobody drives down the 101 to see Sharks games?

Lew is desperately trying to move the A's into the south bay because he likes the weather down there better, and the Giants are fighting the move because they're dicks - and not because it makes the team more accessible to potential fans in San Francisco?

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair that had more to do with Pieterman going into a financial tailspin after sinking major money into his primary Alvaez team only to have them get relegated. If they hadn't been relegated we might still have a California Victory franchise in SF today.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't ever go to a game because they played at Kezar Stadium which is too difficult of a drive from the south bay. Do you know how their attendance was?

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, though I don't know the exact numbers. A member of the 1906 might now better.

6. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    if the 49ers go to san jose....then could we see mls invade?

7. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    through who? you'll need money, a strong organization spearheading it, and land.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Niners go to Santa Clara I don't know what bearing that would have on soccer in SF. The Niners will still be the San Francisco 49ers even after they move so the only thing that changes is their proximity. But they'd still be an SF team and most of the people who go to games now would continue to do so.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Many already are. I know several personally.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since the NASL days of 1974, the teams first year, I remember very few fans coming from down from SF down to San Jose. A a matter of fact, in those days the Quakes always were one of the league leaders in attendance......

To a Retro-

TA new plan to bring back the Quakes' original logo inspires thoughts about the team's auspicious San Jose start

http://www.metroactive.com/features/columns/silicon-alleys_20110622.html

[​IMG]
    STRIKE LIKE LIGHTNING:
    Jimmy Johnstone crosses the ball for the Quakes, circa 1975. From the History San Jose collection, donated by Brian Holmes. Photographer unknown.
    (2010-46-2).

11. Mattcat424

Mattcat424 New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. 49ers have always been their for a very long time. Their is no reason to leave to southern California. Believe me, it won't happen

12. Dogham

Dogham Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Broomfield, CO
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think that the Bay area with 7.4 million people could figure out how to get a Stadium done to host an MLS team. It's sad to see the Earthquake fans forced to watch their team play in the "Shoe Box" known as Jack Buck Stadium. Does the majority of the people in the area just not care for soccer? What's the missing ingredient to getting something done to give SJ a true MLS facility? Is there any real vocal movement by the supporters groups to push the issue and bring it to the forefront of daily conversation? I'd hate to see SJ lose another team for failure to get a stadium done and then see them move to St Louis, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Buck Shaw Stadium not Jack Buck Stadium. And the Bay Area isn't who need to get the stadium done, it's the owner. Period.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Silicon Valley & the entire Bay Area's mentality is a little screwey. Not sure where it came from really. I think it has to do with the rapid growth , rising real estate costs , lack of land and also the transformation of fruit and vegetable orchards into hight tech industry's has something to do with it. Yes you would think though, that a place where company's like Yahoo, Google, HP, EBAY, You Tube and Facebook (to name a few) were invented, someone would profit and benefit greatly by investing in the world's game, especially since these company's came from nowhere and are truly global. From what I heard though, when the Quakes went looking for owners after AEG bailed however, that a lot of people listened but there were no takers. Its very sad indeed.

15. Dogham

Dogham Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Broomfield, CO
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry for the incorrect name for the stadium. Not sure where that came from, but either way it has to be a group effort (Owners/Citizens). The degree of financing on each behalf is for you guys to decide, but I'd hate to see the 'Quakes move out of the area if another area around the country becomes more attractive and they are willing to build them a stadium or at least come up with half. MLS is a more stable league right now than NHL or NBA as many owners in those leagues are bleeding money. MLS is experiencing positive growth and hope to see SJ/Bay area move along with it instead of being left behind or forced to relocate due to other cities willing to step up to the pitch to get them the necessary resources to move forward in MLS>

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the exception of an unusual went winter not to mention a rare rain storm at the beginning and at the end of June, the weather for construction around here is awesome and they should not have any problem (weather wise anyway) building this thing by now. I really don't know why they are waiting so long for. I honestly think Lew Wolff is waiting to hear from the MLB on whether they will let him move the A's to San Jose. Until then though, I don't think we will see much movement on the stadium front.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "citizens" you mean the public, I can tell you there will be no public money forthcoming for this stadium. It is to be totally privately financed and that is the main reason it is taking as long as it has. With that, I can say that construction of a stadium for the Quakes is a matter of "when", not "if".

18. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too think it somewhat bewildering that SF can't get behind a team, but there can't be 2 norcal teams (please) and SJ is it for now.

Except perhaps a Yreka team, OR even better:

The Rough and Ready Independents!

Have a Secession Day match with San Jose, perhaps.
    Look it up!
    :D

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Manchester City vs. Club América exhibition at AT&T Park in San Francisco doesn't look all that great attendance wise. At least not on tv, anyway. The pitch looks kind dead as the sod was planted into the baseball infield. Its just not made for soccer. Weather at game time 61° and mostly cloudy.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only drew 11,250 officially. Thus far it was the lowest attended game of either World Football Challenge.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty sad. They could have had just as many or close to it at Buck Shaw. Sounds like someone lost money on the deal.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Also the second lowest attended of the big international friendlies in the Bay Area. Overall while the Bay had the most games at 4 we've managed to have the lowest attendance overall.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since I started watching soccer in the Bay Area in 1974, I'm trying to remember just how many games were played in SF. Can't remember too many. There were quite a few people at Candlestick a couple of years ago, but other than that, most of the well attended games were either at Spartan Stadium in San Jose , Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto or across the bay at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. Other than that, I don't remember too many outdoor soccer games in the city.

24. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'tis what happens when you try to sell a match off the back of Man City. Club America yeah but City isn't a big club in any way shape nor form. They're only where they are because of Arab money and don't exactly draw crowds.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah until they won the FA CUP this year, I don't think they had won anything in 35 years.