San Francisco Expansion Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by tac7713, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Francisco is a fabulous city to visit. I like San Francisco quite a bit. I wouldn't under any circumstances attempt to live there given my own personal likes and dislikes. But it's a fabulous, internationally-known destination.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How many Americans give SF a real thought. Probably for most people on the East Coast, the only West Coast city that really exists is LA.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. "SF" is almost as "big" in most east coasters minds whom I've met.

4. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland was the nation's fifth "most dangerous city" in 2009 according to this article:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40303628?GT1=43001
    St Louis was #1. Camden, N.J. was #2
    Yeah, the beautiful city of Oakland is an ideal place to go... Sorry, no matter how nice residents say it is, articles like this effectively kill tourism hopes.
    I know StL has some great parts too and lots of fun vacation things to do, but people outside of the midwest probably will avoid it like the plague. Hell, people in Missouri and SW Illinois will probably avoid it now too.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it's true. You could do with a bit of reality. Really, it's okay.

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about the "word," not the concept. But yes, I still have trouble with the concept.

7. Paddy C

Paddy C Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Taunton
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can we please end the which-one-is-worse-Oakland-or-Detroit OT discussion/argument? I have a question about MLS expansion in San Francisco.

Is there an appropriate venue in place in SF? Someone mentioned the 49ers relocating. Would Candlestick Park be an appropriate venue perhaps with some slight modifications?

If not, is there enough build-able land to construct a new SSS??

Thanks.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, there is not currently a venue that would work in SF. Candlestick is a 71,000 seat stadium so it is far too big for MLS, without even considering it's poorly laid out and designed, has a terrible parking situaiton, and is literally falling apart. The only other stadiums of any size is ATT Park which is 42,000 seat and is a baseball park which pretty much rules it out, and Kezar which is too small.

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Candlestick is not only too big in terms of seating, but too small in terms of pitch size.

10. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Land? Who needs land when you got Pier 30 sitting empty.
    [​IMG]
    1/2 mile north of AT&T Park.

Close up. I added a stadium and some battleships : )
    [​IMG]

The've used it for the Warped Tour, Volleyball and other events:
    [​IMG]
    View's not bad.

It will never happen though. That site is destined for a cruise ship terminal.

1 person likes this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My relatives have been longtime Quakes sponsors and they had the pleasure (or displeasure depending on who's point of view) of sitting with a pretty big wheel as a player in American soccer. He had told them that he knew of someone with a lot of money who actually wanted to invest in a team and a stadium in California. We don't know the specifics and aren't really sure who it is but if its true its either buying the existing team from Lew Wolff , buying the Chivas and building their own SSS or starting a knew team. This was about a month ago and we haven't heard anything else anymore. I have my doubts it will ever happen. I can honestly say however, I seriously doubt its going to be San Francisco. The Giants took forever to get their own park and the 49ers have been harping on it for years. I doubt they will end up moving to Santa Clara just as I doubt the A's will move to San Jose. In effect, I doubt the Quakes will ever get their own park or for that matter will SF get a team or an SSS. I'll believe it when I see it.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is a Q & A with Don Garber. He said he has 3-4 people working in MLS communications in San Francisco. I wonder who they are and what they do or in they really work in SF or out of the Quakes office in Santa Clara?

Sitting down with Don Garber

http://sportingtimes.net/articles/sitting-down-with-don-garber/

13. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Maybe some computer geeky types working on expanding the footprint of MLS in the digital universe or marketing people telling the computer geeky types what they want done because they don't know how to do it themselves

14. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    San Francisco will have the America's Cup. A big sailboat race. Some of the events will take place down in that area: team bases, food, drinks, merchandising. Larry Ellison, Oracle fame, is a big sponsor and basically did all the groundwork to bring it to SF. He is the only person I know who has the clout and capital to do something. He is also probably has a decent working relationship with city officials due to the coordination for the cup. The pier actually looks big enough without expanding it if you compare it to AT&T park. Ellison did bid on the Golden State Warriors and didn't get them. Also, you talk about the stadiums having concert stages now and having agreements with AEG. An outdoor concert venue right there would be awesome. Tram, ferry, subway all relatively close. However, in that area of city, parking operators are big business. Although the pier looks "empty", I am sure they make quite a bit of money using that space when no large events are taking place.

15. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You guys should get the Quakes to move to SF..

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They can play the San Diego Galaxy.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should get the Galaxy to move to Phoenix. It's so sad they have to play in Los Angeles.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, they don't play in Los Angeles.

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and at the next major earthquake it sinks into the sea due to soil liquefaction.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's okay, they have battleships standing by.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annual Bay Area MLS derbies between the San Jose Earthquakes and the expansion San Francisco San Franciscans would indeed be interesting, particularly in a few years when both The [Corporate name] Epicenter at San José and San Franciscans Field are built and ready for use. :cool:

That is, unless the San Francisco San Franciscans instead simply want to renovate Candlestick Park once the new San Francisco 49ers stadium in Santa Clara is ready, of course.

-G

22. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ha, you should see their grand schemes for Treasure Island, which is entirely reclaimed land.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More proof that people running San Francisco really are taken from the shallow end of the gene pool... As if protecting felons and banning everything except weed wasn't proof enough.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ew... why would you want to dirty San Diego that way.

25. starbuck9000

starbuck9000 Red Card

May 17, 2011
    Sf has a whole different identity than San Jose. People from SF are not going to be fans of a team in San Jose.

anyway..would rather see SF go the USL or NASL route first. Then if they could build up a fan base they could think about a SSS and then maybe D1