San Francisco Expansion Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by tac7713, Nov 2, 2010.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is probably true but no one did when he was in LA either. Of course I'm sure things and times have changed since 1995 though....

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no. He wouldn't actually do that.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #403 falvo, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    I did read not so long ago that Mark Davis is exploring to play at Levi's in Santa Clara. Not sure how true it is but I'm sure it would be better than playing at O.Co.

4. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My prediction is that if Oaktown can't quickly figure out a funding plan for a new stadium, the Raiders climb in bed with the 9ers in Santa Clara short term, while pursuing a stadium deal in LA.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, he's also apparently still working with Ed Roski in Industry to make this happen.

[​IMG]

I think it'll come down to what Oakland can offer them (which won't be much). Once they've established Oakland has nothing they can then decide if they want to go be the Niners lapdogs or if they want to be bold and retake the market they still own down in LA.

Regardless they won't be helping to create an SF stadium to help SF get a team at any level. And no one else will either. An SF team will have to navigate the waters alone. And they're trickier waters than even NYCFC is dealing with in the Queens and Bronx (and look how much luck they're having). Just ask the Giants, Niners and Warriors how easy getting something done in SF is... And they're all established teams that have been here for 50 years or more.

30King repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A little exaggerated? In this day and age, is it necessary to have such huge stadiums?

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. It's right in the range of almost every other NFL stadium that's been built in the last 25 years. It would hold 75,000 which makes it only good enough for 8th biggest in the NFL if they ever build it. Plus its not like it would be home for a soccer team or anything. It's being designed primarily as an NFL stadium not unlike Levis in Santa Clara (which is only 6,000 or so seats smaller).

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard some talk about expanding Kezar or adding the old Candlestick seats to the old relic but I don't know when they will do it. Kezar is a cool looking place for a team and many amateur soccer teams play there but to have a major professional soccer team play there doesn't seem like it will work. Access to the freeways and the rest of SF isn't the greatest either.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kez...ATykoLIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=905

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on this board suggested they do it. No one official has even contemplated the idea of moving the Candlestick seats to Kezar. They're selling off the ones they can to Niners and Giants fans and the rest will be recycled or blown up with the stadium.

And Kezar won't work for pro soccer. Not long term at any rate. It's too isolated from mass transit, freeways and enough parking. To say nothing of the venue's deficiencies including old wood benches, no real press boxes to speak of, a distant field due to the very large track, and the generally cold location. No pro team that's called the place home has ever worked out or stayed long.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #410 falvo, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Its a cute area but yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. On another front, I know Bill Peterson NASL Commissioner posted a picture of SF on his Twitter page back in December and implied that they would be getting an NASL team there but I've yet heard or read anything more after that.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he tweeted that they'd be getting a team. He just tweeted a picture of the SF skyline and basically said "guess where I am". People drew their own conclusions. But I wouldn't get excited. He seems to do that wherever he is lately.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he mentioned SF though once about possible expansion.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've mentioned dozens of cities as possible expansion. Until they have an owner in place there's nothing to any of it other than trying to keep interest in their league in a region of the country NASL has thus far completely ignored and left to USL.

14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe USL needs to announce a SF franchise, then NASL will take it seriously. Heh.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    USL tried there. They failed.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the Seals should count. Different environment now. I was also making a joke about how USL and NASL seem to be following each other around with their expansion lately.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No but the CA Victory were supposedly a higher level than the Seals were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Victory

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were USL-1 which was the D2 league at the time. So equivalent of the current NASL. And yes they failed pretty miserably.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad really. Dmitry Piterman just kinda left them to die.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #420 falvo, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Quakes coming back I'm sure didn't help but Piterman thought by going to SF, somehow everyone would flock to his games. I remember him saying, all across Europe no one ever heard of San Jose but everyone knows SF. He may have a point but the whole world knows Silicon Valley which is basically San Jose and when I lived in Europe, everyone talked about the Valley. Its not like the high tech world all flocks to SF. Still , although I wasn't involved with him, I am pretty sure he didn't care or want to know anything about the local people with ties to the local soccer , college or amateur scene in the area. In a way it was all for the best in the end as the Quakes came back but I don't think too many SF and peninsula soccer fans cared or even knew much about that team.

athletics68 repped this.
  21. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Sorry if this is going to sound naive but here goes. Why hasn't San Francisco ever supported or had an old NASL team or MLS? Is it because of the proximity to San Jose? IM naive O, northern California should be able to support two pro soccer franchises but I live in the cold tundra so I don't know the area well enough. I am only out there to visit relatives and spend time touring breweries and wineries for work.

22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Check out this thread in the NASL expansion folder
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/nasl-bay-area.1991857/

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree Piterman was chief among the Victory's problems. And him scrambling because of Alvaes being relegated and the Victory's non existent marketing didn't help matters either. But then neither did playing at Kezar. In that regard I will say that SF has never had a fair shake at a properly run D2 or D3 team any time recently. But given the city's poor track record with minor league squads in all sports I still don't see how it would turn out any differently than it did for the Victory. They might not die as quickly as the Victory did (they were essentially abandoned and out of cash after half the 2007 season), but after a few seasons they'd end up folding like so many before them.

[​IMG]

Still at least the Quakes got the 1906 out of the whole Victory debacle.

24. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #425 falvo, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Interesting you mention wineries. Former original NASL San Jose Earthquakes owner and founder Milan Mandaric actually sold the Quakes to Tony Kovac in 1978 and bought the Connecticut Bicentennials and moved them across from SF to Oakland calling them the Stompers. If you look at their logo, its has a bunch of grapes and I think his idea (back then) was to get the local Bay Area wineries involved with the team. It didn't last though as he sold the team to Peter Pocklington in 1979 who moved the team to Edmonton, Canada, calling them the Drillers.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Rosters/Stompers_Rosters.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oakland Stompers&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JXXZUsjOAYS8oQSXloCQBw&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=760&bih=640

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Stompers

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oakland Stompers&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=EqYQjYMtUWzRaM%3A%3Bhttps%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSVyfHvbQJnC9TyXxQXsk1YHbz5alJPWpoLqw6KrpIsMkGRbOkh3w%3B638%3B583%3BPXN_R70jySM3NM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sportslogos.net%252Flogos%252Fview%252Fbzl6h90j6ghujcfa9tfkrifuw%252FOakland_Stompers%252F1978%252FPrimary_Logo&sa=X&ei=JXXZUsjOAYS8oQSXloCQBw&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAg&biw=760&bih=640#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=EqYQjYMtUWzRaM%3A;PXN_R70jySM3NM;http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2F52%2F1409%2Ffull%2Fbzl6h90j6ghujcfa9tfkrifuw.gif;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportslogos.net%2Flogos%2Fview%2Fbzl6h90j6ghujcfa9tfkrifuw%2FOakland_Stompers%2F1978%2FPrimary_Logo;638;583

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oakland_stompers_logo.png

Around 1979-1980 the fair trade law was passed and a lot of wineries had a problem staying afloat. I remember my as my father was a wine salesman back in those days. Probably another reason on why Mandaric wanted out.