San Diego USL (potential) expansion thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by msilverstein47, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol fair enough. although i hate the idea of it, i don't think playing in petco for a season would be all that bad. but the RSL folks are looking at oceanside, and they're planning on having their academy there at least for the time being. so we'll end up in a frisco/foxborough situation (and then add the fact that it's USL Pro not MLS).

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, USD has sold beer at every friendly (both soccer and now baseball) that I've been to there. And the Earthquakes have been playing at a similarly Catholic university for 7 years and have sold beer the whole time. Not sure where this mistaken impression that Catholics are teatotalers comes from, but it's wrong. Catholics like to drink more than most religions. I mean wine is part of the Catholic Church's most basic ceremony... that should tell you something.

Also Petco is a non-starter do to layout and baseball objections to having their field ruined by the soccer players. Qualcomm is a non-starter due to size. The only real options are USD and maybe Mesa College short of building their own stadium which appears to be RSL's ultimate goal.

3. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The ability to sell alcohol at an event is determined by the venue, local ordinance and the city/county permitting the liquor sales. Like A68 said, plenty of colleges allow beer to be sold at non-school events. I've seen beer and wine sold at non-school events held at high schools.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they NCAA D1?

The Red Stars play in a Catholic college, well a religious one, not sure the denomination, and they are allowed to sell beer.

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are worse places to be than a full-size football stadium. You only need look at Orlando City to see that. Then again, Qualcomm looks a bit out from the city center.

On top of having to dodge an MLB team's schedule (which, while politically tenable for NYCFC, probably wouldn't ever fly for a minor-league team), Petco doesn't look like it has favorable dimensions to adapt for soccer.

BTW: ceez, yes, USD is Division 1.

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualcom is pretty centrally located for most of the county, right next to a major east west freeway and between 2 major north south. Plus on a trolley line. You could argue that Mission valley is actually more the heart of the county than downtown.

The issue for Qualcom would be the size. If we could get 20,000 plus it might just work (25,000 for the friendly worked) but won't get that for USL games.

Petco is a non starter because of the summer schedule.

My choice would be USD. Pretty central, intimate setting but still big enough. But it's not up to me.

athletics68 repped this.
  7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said it looks a bit out of the way. I was going by city center, but San Diego is pretty spread out.

It's not like it's in Frisco or anything. o_O

Like I said, if it comes down to that, give the Q a shot. I wasn't too keen on the Citrus Bowl as a host stadium initially, though pretty much accepted it was the most readily-available venue. But we all were shocked by the atmosphere it provided. I think that's a large component of our early success.

Of course it shouldn't be thought of as a permanent venue, but it could possibly work on a short term basis.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd say so. a lot of us north of the 8 think that the only thing south of downtown is Tijuana (i had to drive to chula vista for work and was surprised how long it took me to get there from utc).

and that's why i think, at least early on, it's a good choice (maybe not ideal, but good).

9. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh anywhere near as far as Frisco (Oceanside would be for most of us though) San Diego is differently a car city with multiple hubs and nodes rather then just one city center, (sorry studied Geography in college) and Mission Valley is one of those hubs. Qualcom is probably actually easier for most people. In the debate about a new NFL stadium most fans I know want it to stay at it's current sight rather then move downtown. And in terms of public Transport it has a Trolley stop there already so as easy to get to as downtown.

I'd be willing to try it. I was pleasantly surprised about how good the atmosphere was for the friendly in July. And hey you guys got an MLS franchise so you are an inspiration for us.

10. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're not wrong about the nodes and hubs. and that's sort of what the county transportation committee (or whatever) have been moving towards (i used to work for a taxpayers associations and we spent a lot of time at planning and land use hearings, and the words "nodes and hubs" actually came up a lot). qualcomm is probably easier, but if the goal is oceanside, i'd say a year or two in san diego and develop a southern fan base first.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego Flash win again...

http://www.ivpressonline.com/sports...cle_232edd8f-bc61-5c71-96de-c764fc202a64.html

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion thread. Not results thread.

I don't know why you can't grasp what Bigsoccer threads are for.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there is a nice thread on the NPSL forum, go there for Flash talk.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False advance is still an advance.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I am hearing that now they will forfeit their 2nd round game.

a 1W-0-1L record with 0 minutes playes.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are they forfeiting?

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, there's bush league and then there's this. What kind of team doesn't plan in advance for their own advancement beyond round 1 of the Cup? Pitiful... USL can't get here soon enough.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a team that wants you to become an investor...lmao

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell I may try to return my season pass after this... That is unacceptable.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe you have some suitable space for a pitch in your backyard??? Hey I had to ask...

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to have a backyard first...

24. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Interestingly, SDFlash's twitter retweeted someone saying they "brought shame on SD".

Odd that the Flash's own Twitter account would re-tweet that.

25. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://twitter.com/ernyquakes/status/466451387992510465

Erny might have been saying it tongue-in-cheek and that's why they retweeted. Either way, it doesn't look good, and they know it better than anyone.