San Diego USL (potential) expansion thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by msilverstein47, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    When you say fail, do you mean both, or that the USL Pro will come out on top?

You said it, rumor.

versus

Hey man, don't talk badly about PBS. I love Sesame Street.
    And since Sesame Street has been around long enough, I will bet on Big Bird and Elmo.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Optimus Prime "one shall stand, one shall fall" no way a city will support both. Who fails? Probably whoever is there last.

By the way the RSL rumor is by the same reporter who's been right on every other rumor he's broke so far.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shortly after meeting with NASL the Flash stopped mentioning the possibility of moving up. The realities of how much that jump from NPSL to NASL would cost killed that idea dead. right now there is no possible NASL team in the pipeline. However if RSL is interested as is claimed, USL could be a very real possibility.

And as mentioned the guy hinting at it is very rarely wrong.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mr_tony_had_that_one.jpg

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed you did. Though to be fair RSL's "plans" may be just as much fluff as Boca and the Flash's plans ended up being.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL has said nothing, its only rumor from Strauss (although he is legit). Boca and Flash have essentially been whoring themselves to get "upgraded" for years. Well at least Flash have, not sure we can count Boca aka iCon FC as anymore.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #232 athletics68, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    According to SD iCon's website they might just have the same delusions of grandeur as the Flash and their previous Boca ownership. They're splurging and have opted to play at Torero Stadium supposedly (which I don't imagine is cheap compared to simply renting a high school stadium like Boca used to do at Balboa). And they even released a rendering of their proposed future stadium...

[​IMG]
    If that rendering looks familiar it's because it is the San Diego Flash's rendering of their proposed USL-1/MLS stadium from a decade ago. iCon have apparently appropriated it and simply erased the Flash logos and placed their own on it. Thanks to Kenn for pointing out the old rendering several years ago.

[​IMG]

kenntomasch repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, where'd you get that bottom image? ;)

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^

:thumbsup:

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are the Flash & iCon working together now? Or just plain plagiarism?

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the latter based on the working relationship the two clubs have had since the beginning. That or maybe the iCon ownership dug it out of one of Boca's old files somewhere since both the current NPSL Flash and outgoing Boca ownership had ties to the old USL A-League Flash.

Either way it's a pretty bush league effort even for a bush league like the NPSL. It looks like a cut and paste job that took 5 minutes in pagemaker.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, Pagemaker is a desktop publishing program and has - if I recall correctly - limited image manipulation capabilities. Photoshop or Paint or Gimp, more likely.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably Photoshop, though if they were using PS they need to get a better graphic designer. I mean that is such a poor effort I could replicate it with MS Paint.

14. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Looking at those two pics takes me back to those "find the differences in the two pictures" pages of the Highlights magazine at the doctor's offices of my youth. So how many differences are we supposed to find. I've only gotten 2 so far.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3... you missed the obvious one. The ribbon that says ICON Park. I mean hell they didn't even change it to "stadium" or "field". They even kept the "Park" suffix.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to give iCon credit for their bluster if nothing else. They're describing themselves as, "San Diego Icon FC is the highest form of high quality professional outdoor soccer in San Diego."

Which is ironic given that they've never played a game, they couldn't even create their own stadium rendering and no one has proofread their website. Still it seems to be a trait common among these NPSL and PDL sides. They all have grand plans when they show up and then they fade away after a few years when they come to the realization they bit off more than they could chew. iCon's own predecessors with the Boca are just one example. Come to think of it so was the USL A-League Flash's ownership.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to imagine now, but they were the darling of the league for a little bit. I was in the league at that point and (before we knew anything about a certain owner) we were all like, "Wow, this has the look of something really big."

Turns out the look is all there was. And not for too long.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does explain the ill feelings through that developed between certain members of that former Flash ownership group that persist in the SD area to this day (and even manifested in the split and animosity between the new Flash and Boca FC). And now you have iCon continuing the pilfering of the former Flash legacy on a small scale while being dismissive of the existing Flash.

Frankly it's time for new blood and fresh ideas rather than the dysfunctional status quo in San Diego. I'm hoping the RSL thing pans out if just for that reason alone (nevermind their bigger bankroll and far more likely ability to get something done).

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No scarf designs? Really? Not yet?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean as long as we're projecting players for a team that doesn't exist yet, why aren't there already San Diego-specific scarf designs?

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs a scarf in San Diego? They need to come up with something more regionally appropriate. Like an RSD micro brew.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL has those players now, either as homegrown players on the first team or in their academy. The reporter was merely theorizing what the roster would be WHEN (not IF) RSL starts their USL team. Listen, its gonna happen. RSL just needs to announce it. This article was just another "leak" of what everyone in RSL land already knows. So this is good insight from reliable RSL blogger of what that team might be.

In my own discussions with them, we all agreed that along with the players mentioned in that list, RSL will sign USL-only players as well. I think this is useful and relevant info for San Diego fans who want to watch USL in the near future.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they be doing what LA is doing and stocking their USL team with players from below as well as above or is RSL going to have players that actually play at all 3 levels?