San Diego Flash

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by ButlerBob, Dec 16, 2010.

1. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks i just added them on my FB. talking about FB junk take a look at SD Flash FB and SD Boca, Tiburones FB looks interesting to me as they keep their fan base updated in the clubs progress. Boca spams my FB with their annoying store ads and flash just post stuff from soccer nation, i had to remove boca fb from my contacts.

2. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you this. Flash aren't going anywhere besides the NPSL for at least another season. If you want to have a professional soccer team here in San Diego you are talking about having at least $5 million dollars to spend in one season and have a good fan base and flash doesn't have either.

LA BLUES WORST MISTAKE!!! Their biggest crowd was like 300. People got sick of them playing the same team week after week after week and stopped going to the games completely, i really don't see LA BLUES lasting another season in the USL PRO unless more teams go in and make it interesting for people. Their administration was giving out tickets in swapmeets and local games almost begging people to go, that right there shows people don't care about teams not even in the US with horrible playing fields. HORRIBLE competition.

3. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree entirely. And, not wanting to sound too smug about it, it vindicates Hollywood's decision not to go pro yet. The whole reason Hollywood decided against it was those exact same reasons - not enough local teams, wasting money on travel, etc etc.

Blues owner Ali Mansouri wanted to go pro anyway, so he walked out of the Hollywood ownership group and started LA Blues Pro and went to D3 on his own - and this is the result. Meanwhile, Hollywood left USL entirely, joined the NPSL, and almost won the national championship.

There needs to be 3-4 teams all joining USL Pro *simultaneously* for it to work. Hollywood, Flash, the new "mystery" team, plus one other from the west coast somewhere - then they can join the Blues and it might work. Until then, not a chance.

4. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I looked at Boca first and saw exactly what your saying, so I didn't sign up.
    Flash is ok. Tiburones still too much stuff.

5. PATABOLA

PATABOLA New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Monsoon Country
    Club:
    Club América

I hear that PASL-pro is moving to outdoor league very soon.

6. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I hope not. We have enough leagues already. It will just dilute the pool of players even more. Too many teams in one area can do a lot of damage.

I agree with Sheff, why move up to higher levels with the costs so high.
    I was involved with a group looking into NPSL a couple of years ago. A bare bones program for 1 season was a minimum of 40K Bare Bones. No revenue expected for 2 years with good marketing. I would leave teams as they are for another year or so and have them build their fan base. You must have paying customers in seats to survive. Even if you get big sponsors, they want their name in front of thousands of fans, not 200.

Come out to the SDSU v USD game Sunday @USD 8pm. Last year there was around 5-6K in soccer fans. Now that is a turn out! Flash or Boca should be doing something at their gates to promote their teams.

7. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
    looks like they are starting the push north...
    [​IMG]

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Flash hung on to win 1-0 in Phoenix tonight.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like flash is yet again the team to beat:notworthy:
    they have beaten everyone in the division except for(funny enough) boca whom they tied with
    best GD, best defensive record

14. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Eric Wynalda no longer involved with the Flash? I was surprised to learn that he was involved with the new amatuer darlings of the US Open Cup, Cal FC.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's still on flash's website as a board member and consultant, I was equally surprised when I saw him with Cal FC which apparently he has been in charge of this year

16. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I noticed the change on Wikipedia, but it must have been changed recently.

17. zsoccerfan

zsoccerfan New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just came across this on the Flash website. It includes a Press Release about some kind of merger.
    http://sandiegoflashsoccer.com/investors/

18. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. Also of note, I didn't realize that Warren Barton, the swot from the Fox Soccer Channel, is Flash's coach!

19. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SD DERBY!!! Saturday June 16, Balboa Stadium Flash v. Boca, ya'll gonna be there?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I will actually. I need a break and there's nothing better than downtown dinner and then some soccer.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    flash were the better team, boca was holding up the ball for way too long when it tried to counter attack which was the only real viable way of hurting flash, they did score first but credit to flash for coming back and scoring 3, also a good number showed up for the game and I heard highlights will be on KUSI

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash win the San Diego Derby for 2012!

23. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome game, 3-1. I liked the guy who kept screaming "I love you, Warren!" Lots of unsurprised children :eek: I had my legs up on the rail on the first row and one kept running by using me as a hurdle. She said "well I have to exercise!" My gf thought that was hilarious.

Great game too, btw :)

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well all knew the Flash originally had aspirations of being in a higher league than the NPSL but due to circumstances beyond anyone's control D2/3 soccer imploded right as the Flash entered the scene a few years ago. Well it looks like things have settled down enough for the Flash to make the first overtures to the NASL about moving up to full pro soccer at the D2 level.

http://www.prlog.org/11909622-flash-look-to-the-future-and-second-tier-pro-soccer-with-the-nasl.html

Credit to kilometers for finding this info.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.