San Diego Flash

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by ButlerBob, Dec 16, 2010.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true it's a sucky way for Hollywood to get in. The "amatuer" status shouldn't matter since pros are allowed in NPSL now. As for the two teams issue, that is of course of more concern, but it still has no effect on the actual outcome of a game and shouldn't matter for past results just future eligibility. Particularly with how un-knowledgeable players can be about their own status at a low level and how these low level teams have far less in the way of resources to verify what they're players are actually doing (hell quite often they have to take a player at their word). I mean I'm sure half the teams in NPSL could find a player or two on their team if they had the resources who was actually playing or still under contract, with another team.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt it was Papo Santos or someone else from Boca who "discovered" this information if true (or even if not true and made up). Probably just some poor kid from overseas who didn't realize he was still registered with another team and just wanted to play.

3. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I would say Hollywood had more to do with this. They have way more to win or lose. So if another team found the information why didn't Flash?
    Hard lesson to learn for a new team. They will have to get out their NPSL rule book and read it again.

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it wouldn't benefit boca in anyway except by limiting the success of flash

your idea though not entirely far fetched is still a little too much

5. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watch who you're accusing of things. This is as much news to us as it is to you.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just explained why Boca would do such a thing. Flash have been doing great on field, Boca only so/so. It's got to be tearing Yan and Papo up that the Flash are actually succeeding on and off field so far despite being banished from downtown.

That said it's possible Hollywood discovered it too, I'll concede that but there's no evidence of that. Frankly the league is probably the one who found the violation, but based on history until told otherwise I consider Boca suspect as well since they've got a major beef with the Flash ownership. But regardless of who found it at this level it's a dick thing to do and it's something that any team could fall prey too. There's just no system in place to vet every player as thoroughly as is realistically needed if rules like this are going to be so harshly enforced. Especially on players who are coming in from overseas.

7. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point only a few people know who gave that information, naturally people are all ready speculating who did it
    nonetheless its still opinion, and whoswho didnt outright say it was definitely you guys
    so calm your horses

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from my point of view that be the only logical pro of doing that action, and I still don't see much else, points wise even with a deduction flash are ahead

it is a d!ck thing to do, we can agree on that

9. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
    http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/spor...od_is_living_life_in_the_flash_lane_1_2576864

This looks like this is your suspect. He walked out on a team while under contract and chose to play for another team while still in the terms of an existing contract. Its all fine and dandy until you register your player card with Soccer House in Chicago. They then have to send it to the English FA. If Bury Town were peed off at him, they could be the fly in the ointment. Alternatively, someone could have seen the article on the internet and complained that he was still technically a Bury Town asset.

On a professional level you typically wait for international clearance before you play someone (which involves your player card being returned from your old team to your new federation - and then on to your new team) to prevent situations like this occurring.

Who's fault is it? They player should know he can't walk out on a team after he signed a deal, without them giving him his release. The team should have waited until his international clearance came though.

Rookie mistake from a rookie organization. Shame really, because they were playing some good soccer.

1 person likes this.
  10. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I am not accusing, only pointing out that Hollywood has more to gain. Sorry if you misunderstood my post. I did not mean to offend anyone.
    The responsibility lies with Flash.

11. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Jon (SheffWedFan) didn't know. I told him at about 1pm today.

12. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, there goes my mystery source ;)

13. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    So Is it a matter of fact- That Flash will be punished and lose 6 points?

14. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Subbed to this thread. Interesting reading so far....

15. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with this; he should definitely not be able to play until the mess is sorted out, but deducting points already won by the team seems harsh for what most likely amounts to an honest mistake or misunderstanding. (see below)

If the situation is in fact what it looks like after reading this forum today, it sounds like a misunderstanding between the player and the club. Maybe the player didn't understand the logistics necessary to register and play for a new team. Maybe the team didn't ask the right questions to figure out the player's status. As you point out though, it probably came down to the club taking the player's word for where he was playing before and what his contract situation was. Unfortunately, it looks like not everything was made clear and now there are problems.

I do believe though, that if the Flash knew the whole situation, it would have been handled properly. I know that they have waited on similar paperwork from other players before suiting them up for games, so I see no reason that they wouldn't have waited on this player if they had known.

That's my two cents. But since no one at the league office has asked me my opinion, they'll probably go forward with the points deduction. :(

16. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I noticed on the Flash site Underwood is still listed, but at NPSL he is not on the roster for Flash.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it was Underwood. However it seems like it's questionable if he was actually still under contract with his former team. Particularly if the contract was already repudiated a year ago. Flash may actually have good grounds in an appeal on that basis alone.

18. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Here's what i think. I don't think anyone tipped anyone off. The paperwork just took its sweet time getting back via Lancaster Gate (FA) and Soccer House in Chicago (US Soccer). Teams that I have worked for in the past, especially post 9/11, took literally months to get their player card clearances, although that had the additional issue of work clearance. Its frustrating to start the clearance process when training camp starts, and the player is STILL not cleared in 4 weeks in to the regular season.

Additionally, you have a player moving between a professional to amateur status which involves a process of forfeiting your professional status with your home federation before you can register for a new federation. Its a complex process, and I always had Group C Sports Law Firm on speed dial as they had sports lawyers and immigration lawyers on staff so we got it right.

The team took the risk of playing him before they had international clearance, probably based on the team taking the player at his word that he was free and wouldn't be a problem. I don't think anyone acted with any malice, or any attempt to deceive, just an over-excited player wanted to get on the field with his new team, and a new team that hasn't any experience with the complex international player registration system.

My hometown team, Accrington Stanley, had to resign from the St Johnstone's Paint trophy this year, after they had beaten Tranmere. They played a player who had picked up a suspension playing in some local league, and he didn't know about it. Ignorance of the rules, is no excuse, according to the FA.

This is a rule that is broken worldwide, 99% of the time done with no malice, and 100% of the time, as far as I can see, is punished, by points deduction and often a fine whether done by deceit or ignorance.

I get the frustration, but the system is there to stop abuse of professional players going to different countries and no compensating the teams that own their contracts. Bury Town should have released the player if they wished him well with no hard feelings. The player should have converted his professional player card to amateur status. Start the process early enough for your clearance to come through before the start of the season so you don't have to take the risk of there being a problem.

I am a big fan of what the Flash have done on the field this year. Its a shame that they aren't going to be in the Open Cup because of over-enthusiasm and a lack of due diligence. They are still the team to beat on the field in the West, points deduction or not.

19. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do NPSL players still have to hold amateur status?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an antiquated system that borders on indentured servitude and it needs to be changed... Last I'll say on that.

21. gobocago

gobocago New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    San Diego Boca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Soccer Fans!

This is Travis C., GM of San Diego Boca. I just read the news this morning on SoccerNation and can probably shed some light for you guys. First, all of San Diego Soccer really appreciates how active you guys keep the San Diego Soccer forums, be they Boca, Flash or San Diego in general!

Over here at Boca, we just received the news, though some of our players have apparently been posting the SN article to their facebooks since yesterday. In the NPSL, international players have to be cleared by the USSF before they are allowed to play. This can take anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days. If a player did not enter the U.S. by the age of 12, there is a mandatory 30-day waiting period. I suspect that Lee started playing before this trial period was up.

Either way, the Flash are still a very competitive side, and we look forward to our rematch against them at Balboa Stadium on June 11th! I believe after this weekend's two away matches, Boca will have two more wins and begin proving they are the team to beat in the West!

If anyone has any questions about San Diego Boca FC, feel free to post in the Boca Thread or shoot me a message. Thanks!

Go Boca!

22. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very embarrassing moment for the flash. They had to have known, so i think the 6 points taken away from them is fair. lmao

23. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like Flash's appeal failed, as the NPSL have now officially updated the standings:

http://www.npsl.info/schedules/2011/35503834.20114.html

The two games (Flash vs Hollywood, Flash vs Bay Area) have now been changed to 3-0 wins for Hollywood and Bay Area... Flash deducted 6 points, Hollywood and Bay Area given an additional 3 points each, and goal differences have been adjusted accordingly too.

24. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ah, laughing at the misfortune of others.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this forum.

Stay classy, San Diego.

EDIT: Hmm, picture won't post...just imagine Ron Burgundy's face here.