San Diego Flash

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by ButlerBob, Dec 16, 2010.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you don't know i'm not telling you. lol

i have absolutely no idea.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if they announce Real San Diego and then the NASL brings the Flash on, would that be pathetic? You know, because the other way around has been portrayed as desperate and pathetic and counter-productive to the good of the game.

4. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize it, this could have been there for years, but Tom Nickel, the owner of O'Brien's, has contributed more than $15k to Flash.. crazy!

athletics68 repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would indeed be pathetic. As would NASL trying to move into LA at this point.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Wow talk about a dedicated soccer bar.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed this yesterday but forgot to post it. The Flash are offering a Groupon for the rest of today for a $25 season pass or $10 for two tickets.

In the Groupon they also reveal a little about the coming season. First they're playing a US Open Cup match on March 8th and second their season opener is March 22 (meaning that while the west schedule isn't released it is at least partially set). Secondly, it looks like they're moving south of the 56 for the first time since their exhibition season prior to joining NPSL when they played at Balboa Stadium. Their home for 2014 appears to be Mira Mesa High School's stadium now. Meaning trips to the numerous breweries in that area like Ballast Point, Intergalactic, Green Flash, etc... might be in order before games :)

[​IMG]

Obviously not a big change stadium wise from where they've played previously at Del Norte or Westview before it. But at least the field doesn't have blue football endzones anymore like Del Norte did. (Also the blue track is a little less distracting than the standard maroon). And it's of course closer to the center SD proper than either of their two previous homes. With Boca's demise and Yan leaving the NPSL I'm wondering if that played into them coming south of 56 this year or if its simply coincidence.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now the full schedule is out for 2014

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're playing exactly five different teams over the course of the season.

Road trips of 130, 166, 60, 153 and 125 miles.

Hard to believe they wouldn't want to move up to the NASL.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #285 athletics68, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Well to their credit they haven't mentioned moving up since they had that meeting with the NASL a long while back. I think the realities of what the move would entail ended that.

The bigger news from the schedule IMO was the demise of the San Diego Derby and Boca/iCon. But then we'd heard a rumor to that effect on BS a week or two ago from a poster. Turns out he was right. Which probably explains the Flash moving closer to San Diego's center. But with iCon dead I wonder why they didn't just move all the way back to Balboa Stadium where they originally wanted to be in the first place.

Also it will be interesting to see what the West South divisional make up is with several of the SoCal with them obviously not playing some of the 9 teams that were originally slated to be in the division.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree at all. That was what should have been obvious to most. I hope it puts paid to that talk.

That's funny.

Well you can always "Call us Toll-Free 619-303-3678" if you have questions. I have never heard of a 619 number being toll-free, but I supposed if you live in the 619 area code, it would be.

If you can't scrape together an NPSL club, I'm pretty sure that says you shouldn't be taken seriously.

athletics68 repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah probably not, you should call just to be sure they're a joke ;) . Still I've actually heard another business use that "toll free" wording also in the 619 area code on the local radio station down here. Wonder if people just don't know what "toll free" means anymore?

*edit* Nevermind, I was bored so I called them. No answer, and their machine says nothing about being soccer related or anything like that.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #289 athletics68, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Well on the plus side for the Flash (since this is a Flash thread), it does make them look a little more professional that they actually have a social media presence, a working somewhat updated website, some minor marketing promotions, etc... It's not much, but for an NPSL team it seems to be more than many (if not most) including their departed neighbors and their "toll free" phone number over at iCon.

And now to their benefit they have the entire city of 1.35 million to themselves for 2014 and a better location in said city even if they lost the minor excitement that a cross town rivalry would generate.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be interested to see how they realize their true potential now without the intimidating presence of a second low-rent NPSL team in the market, then.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I wouldn't look for much to change. They're a small time operation and I think they realize that now. But they're going community outreach and charity stuff in addition to fielding their team so it's good.

The bigger concern long term for them will be once they're no longer the only outdoor soccer option north of the border next year when RSL's USL side launches. Which they may be aware of which could explain not running back to downtown now that there's nothing really stopping them. Better to cement themselves in the fringes where they'd be forced to in 2015 anyway.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine.

But they will need another investor. And if they get another big investor, they likely won't be around to see it happen, and if they are, they won't have any say in what happens.

Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk talk. Been hearing about what people are going to do forever and ever and ever. Just frigging do it already and don't worry about Jonah Freedman and a frigging fan-owned NPSL team.

19. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    To know the story about iCON FC please go to the Boca thread. I feel it should be there. The Toll free wording was removed from Website. Thank you for catching it. New sites have bugs that need to be worked out. We hear you and will and do take action to fix it. Now over to the Boca thread......

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nationalpremiersoccerleague.com/home/789339.html

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a good move for the Flash coming closer to the city proper. It always felt like they'd been exiled when they played at Westview and Del Norte (especially since their original plans in 2010 had them playing at Balboa Stadium full time when they joined the league until Boca objected). Now they're not only in a more active neighborhood, but they're closer to ancillary businesses and breweries that can turn what was an inconvenient slog out to distant Del Norte into a whole afternoon/evening.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll the 2014 campaign starts Sunday night (3/9) at 6:30 pm with the 2nd round of the US Open Cup qualifying between FC Forcea nod the Flash. Game is at Mira Mesa HS.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above should have read Force and the Flash. Stupid auto correct.

Also very nice article about Barton. warren seems to have a solid grip on what the Flash are and what their place in the region is. hopefully he continues to be involved with the team in the future as a moderating force to the team's sometimes over ambitious goals.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash win their second round USOC qualifier against FC Force 3-0. Good game for the Flash both on and off field. Hopefully they can keep it up against Hasental next week.