San Diego Boca FC thread

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by athletics68, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccernation.com/sd-boca-lost-cms-1238
    its not even a match report, so I'll save you some time
    main thing:
    "San Diego Boca FC lost 3-1 to Santa Ana Winds

San Diego Boca FC lost 2-1 to FC Hasental

According to the owner Yan Skwara, "It is time for more changes...." More soccer news on how San Diego Boca FC will start to rebuild with winning in mind on SoccerNation this week."

I wonder what changes his talking about, we already recruited "good talented" players for the Def and the Mid, it might be as serious as changing coaches or perhaps just a change in training regimen

2. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just broken on Facebook: apparently a scheduling conflict has resulted in a timechange against Rattlers (Lancaster's team). Time is now 2pm at Balboa, not 7pm.

4. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
    I heard from a little birdie that was at the Boca store today that it looked like they were signing a pretty decent experienced midfielder. He was teasing me, and wouldn't tell me who it was, but he said its someone with extensive USL and Indoor experience. Any guesses?

5. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Ze Roberto be mentioned, I bellieve on Twitter.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great signing, an experienced player who can play CB and DM well, that's exactly what Boca needed at times

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully we'll see our new signing and what he can do
    you gonna be there NT?

7. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning on it...finally!! Might wear a red Aztecs Soccer tee that I got from the asst. coach just to be a homer. Who knows, though.

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca win 4-1 over Lancaster
    the first 15 minutes or so were unwatchable, so many mistakes from both sides
    but Boca capitalized on them and were up 3-0 before the second half
    the only positive from Lancaster was their #18 who regularly juked Boca's LB
    though he was also poor in not letting the ball go
    which was quite common from players on both sides

people trickled in but the time change really affected attendance
    2nd half started and both teams improved, eventually Lancaster got a penalty and scored
    the game opened up a bit but then regressed back to mediocrity with the occasional flank run from Boca which did result in a goal for #14 Roget

oh, and did anyone see Ze Roberto? was he on the field and the announcer made a mistake or was he on the bench?

9. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Ze wore #9 with the pink boots. Played midfield just in front of the defensive line.

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah thanks, your thoughts on the game?

11. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it there. Unfortunately, I Google mapped it wrong, and walked all the way up the hill to the other bleachers, and on the wrong side, to boot, so I was a bit bushed even by gametime. But it was a very good match. Not feeling too analytical right now, but I loved our GK.

Good sausage sandwiches made by the guy in the Boca Jrs. jersey. I didn't go to the souvenir table except to figure out how to walk back to Park,which has been a confusing affair (I take the #7 bus down from Hillcrest). Pickin's looked a bit...not slim...but irrelevant. Lots of Non-Boca, Non-NPSL stuff there. Not that that's necessarily bad, but I can just as easily get a Man City jersey at the actual Boca Store.

Good professional staff. No condescension whatsoever. Very helpful, but not overbearing. Glad I had no need for that "Xtreme" ambulance. Gonna go look that up now, though, as fire and rescue topics are intriguing to me.

I had forgotten that the promotion match in Mexico was today, and was pleasantly surprised by a score update about that. Go Xolos! I've been hoping for their promotion.

So...I dunno. Disappointing slide lately, but today might have put an end to it. I came on a good day. And I do hope to make it again next time.

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL NT, usually I park close to the baseball field and walk down, good legwork and nice view

don't know what was "very good" about the match besides the on target strikers from the boca players, none of the goals were made from good build up play except the cross from Muhammad to Picou
    that one was a beautiful cross and credit is given
    but I still see the same players making late hospital passes and not distributing fast enough, there was more calmness to the midfield but there's more work to be done before the derby

that's the first time I see that stand, usually there's hot dogs, tostilocos etc. on the right(the counter next to the merchandise) but nonetheless they were good

glad you felt good enough to see the game

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    old 2 month video reiterating the club's views and goals through an interview with Yan Skwara

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvjxH5-l5as"]YouTube - ‪San Diego BOCA FC‬‏[/ame]

14. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PAPO has quit the team! Just got a call from my lady saying that papo is no longer with San Diego Boca. I spoke with some players back a long time ago and they knew this was going to happen sooner or later, they said Papo always seemed like he didn't care, was always late and lazy on the pitch. I think this is good for BOCA.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised but at the same time not so much
    I would like to know
    1. if he didn't care then did Boca just keep him for cosmetic reasons and or because there was no one else?

2. Why now?

3. did Yan know this the whole time?

Hopefully the next coach builds a better relationship with club and players

16. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Heard he quit Monday from a few players. Now what?

17. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too late, now, apparently. I ordered pizza last night, and that same Brazilian mid, whose nae I can't remember, delivered my pizza. He said he thinks it's over, now. No playoffs. But I do hope that any change is for the better.

I'm a little puzzled on the kits. I seem to recall at the Rattlers match, Boca had no jersey sponsor. But the derby photos show the same radio station as last year. Not even sure what I'm asking, but that's just interesting.

18. sandiegosoccerlover

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Samora - 1. if he didn't care then did Boca just keep him for cosmetic reasons and or because there was no one else? They kept him because of the relationship he has had with Yan for the last +10 years. And most of the players that BOCA started with were all PAPO's (SDCSL) players.

2. Why now? $$$ For what i have heard from players is that PAPO had told them that they are running out of money, and that they were starting to charge new players or asking them to support the club financially, now that's not a problem, but in the middle of the season? well the pressure was on and he just couldn't handle it.

3. did Yan know this the whole time? NO, the communication between them 2 was never there for what i heard. I have over 40 years of experience in the San Diego soccer community and know almost everyone worth knowing and have a lot of connections.

All those plans for BOCA to go to the NASL seem to be going down the drain for what i see.

YAN needs to get himself a real professional coach and FAST. Time to let some cash go if he wants get this team back up. Wish BOCA the good but they have to do something fast!

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca actually thought they'd get to NASL?

20. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Flash has a better chance at NASL with the owners so connected in US & World soccer.
    This is where Yan is lacking. He is to localized to SD and does not have the bigger connections to really grow the team.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well neither has a chance until they get themselves a real stadium (which neither team currently has). But organizationally I agree. Barton and Wynalda give the Flash a big edge in attracting the outside attention a team moving up needs and Alexander gives them at least as much local cred as Yan gives Boca. And on field they've obviously proven so far to be the far better organized team.

22. sandiegosoccerlover

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree gentleman, BUT flash well let's just say CLENT is just a puppet they have, the one running the show is Warren, but flash doesn't draw as much crowd to their games as boca does. In that part of the game YAN is 100x's better than flash.

Now what they do lack is in being organized. Boca is very disorganized and you can see it by what has been happening. Flash will not go onto the NASL or USL PRO because they just don't have the money for that, they lied to their players for over a year saying that is where they were going and at the end NPSL. A lot of their best players left because of that, so flash is also not as organized as you might think.

Boca in the other hand, as a business is way ahead of Flash, they have plans that they turned into the city, they have their OWN store, they have branded their teams name very well and i strongly believe that with papo's exit SD BOCA will take off to the top. At the end if i would to allow a team into the NASL or USL PRO it would be BOCA. Yan runs his business well, in the other hand, Clent is Warrens puppet. But we will see.

You have to understand just because flash has been winning their games it doesn't mean they deserve to be in the NASL or USL PRO, it's all about who has the $$ and who has the connections in the business and in that Yan has it all, warren knows people, but Yan knows the people Warren works for. That's what matters on the end.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the 300-500 people that Boca draw 100X better than the 200-300 people or so that Flash have been drawing despite Boca banishing the Flash out to the North Co. (and no Boca has not been drawing the several thousand they've been claiming to draw. They pad their attendance numbers like a late 90's MLS team)?

And Flash may not be in USL Pro as they expected, but they definitely have the wherewithal to draw in more funding via having actual connections to the greater soccer community and money that are provided by Barton and Wynalda. With Boca I fear what they have is all they're going to have. I'm not convinced at this point that Yan knows anyone, not after he tanked one team and currently can't even keep his house in order. They have a soccer shop, so what... that doesn't equate into actual connections. At this point I'm convinced Yan is more a liability than an asset. Clent may be a "puppet" but frankly that's fine since Barton is the one that will be able to take Flash to the next level and actually is connected as evidenced by bringing in Wynalda who is equally connected up the yin yang.

We shall see which one will take it to the next level, but based on their quick launch out the gate, and having actual connections, my money is on the Flash.

24. sandiegosoccerlover

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @- Athletics68
    Don't take it personal, unless your someone in the inside of flash. I'm saying what i know from my experience, being in the NPSL and knowing the inside and out of both NPSL and USL all i say is what i know from first hand. But i respect your comments.

I've been to both Flash and Boca games, and i have been to almost all their home games for both teams, im not a fan of neither, im a fan of soccer. Flash have erick winalda and alexis lalas as just commercial benefits, they don't even care about the team, you think a internationally known player is going to commit to a 4th tier team? COME ON! when have you seen any of them on the fields? NEVER, all they did was say " Hey guys we will give you so much percentage just let us use your name and say your in this project, win win situation" Don't get fooled by this methods guys.

This players have things and teams 10x's more important. So that right there doesn't really matter. I know business, and i know soccer. That is what i do best.

All i hope is for both of this teams to make San Diego proud. That is all that matters.