San Diego Boca FC thread

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by athletics68, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how so

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that the current NPSL rules block the Xolos from forming a team due to the territory belonging to existing teams in NPSL. As it was exceptions had to be made to get Flash and Tiberones in.

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what you've said, that doesn't make sense
    did Boca have authority or the direct decision to block Xolos and if so why
    I do remember reading about Boca and Flash trying to come up with some sort of agreement on where they were going to play and something about Boca supporting Flash inclusion into the league
    I don't remember Tiburones being involved however

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not authority but they do have territorial grants from the league in my understanding. It's part of why Flash coming in was so contentious and why Boca forced Flash north away from downtown as part of their compromise allowing that team in.

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone knows if Boca flat out said no to Xolos coming in or if an agreement could not be reached
    it wouldn't make sense for flash and boca to play in the same(sub par balboa) stadium or highschool stadium
    this isn't london where clubs have lots of history and good supporters even though clubs are literally only miles apart
    I still think Boca should have allowed Xolos to buy them out in a way and take advantage of the Border/southbay region

6. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    New press release announcing US Open Cup qualifying match Saturday up on Boca website:

http://bocasoccerschoolsd.com/

Poorly written, but contains lots of info on off-season changes

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on if the originally scheduled game for the 24th (SD Flash v Boca/Monsoon winner) has been rescheduled?

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the game was scheduled for the 17th but was cancelled to due to rain so now its scheduled for the 24th

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the second round was already scheduled for the 24th with the winner of the Boca v Monsoon game playing the Flash. What happened to that game?

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously it will get rescheduled to another date after the boca-monsoon, maybe even in midweek next week
    btw is it monsoon or mansoon?

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monsoon. The Boca had a typo.

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, Jamel Wallace played last year with the Richmond Kickers so he obviously has the talent for NPSL. Good pick up. I wonder what type of compensation these guys are getting?

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualifying for the Lamar Hunt/U.S. Open Cup is underway among teams in the National Premier Soccer League West Conference.

The NPSL will have a total of 6.5 berths (up from 4 last year) allotted by US Soccer.
    The NPSL Western Conference (6 teams in the North, 6 teams in the South) has been assigned 1.5 berths. A Western Conference NPSL club will square off with a representative from US Club Soccer for the .5 spot in the 2012 competition.

Five of the NPSL teams have already been determined
    2-South: Jacksonville United, Georgia Revoution
    2-North: Brooklyn Italians, FC Sonic (taking the place of Erie)
    1-Midwest: Milwaukee Bavarians

The West Conference will have a pair of round robin tournaments to determine the other 1.5 places
    West Northern Conference
    Group A
    March 10: Game 1: Sacramento Gold 2, Real San Jose 0
    March 17: Game 2: Real San Jose at Northcoast Tsunami
    March 24: Game 3: Northcoast Tsunami at Real San Jose

Group B
    March 10: Game 1: Sonoma Sol 3, SF Bay Area Ambassadors 3
    March 17: Game 2: Sonoma Sol at San Francisco Stompers
    March 24: Game 3: San Francisco Stompers at SF Bay Area Ambassadors

April 1: Final hosted by Group A

West Southern Conference US Open Cup

March 24: Phoenix Monsoon at San Diego Boca
    March 24: Fullerton Rangers at Santa Clarita Storm
    (Games originally scheduled for March 17, postponed due to weather)

A – March 31st – SD Flash vs winner of Monsoon / Boca at SD Flash
    B--March 31st – Hasental vs winner of Rangers / Storm at Santa Clarita
    TBA – Winner of A & B play each other to represent the West South .
    Location to be announced

A date and location of the match between a Western Conference representative and a US Soccer Club will be announced afterwards.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 18, 2012 SAN JOSE -
    Real San Jose Saturday night gave a rude welcome to the expansion North Coast Tsunami, defeating them 2-0 in a U.S. Open Cup Qualifying game on a bitterly cold night at Yerba Buena High School.

Grevein Pacheco, the game's eventual Man of the Match, scored in the game's fourth minute to give RSJ the lead. RSJ scored again in the game's 47th minute when George Mayer hit the back of the net.

Head Coach Nick Arellano said the defense was good, but mentioned another reason as a key factor in victory.

"The defense was good," Arellano said. "But (returning forward) Johnny (Gonzalez) makes everything work better because he knows how to create space for himself. I'm very happy George Mayer scored."

RSJ's performance was also noted by Alex Exley, head coach of the Tsunami. He said he thought his team gave away two "silly" goals, but said RSJ deserved to win.

"This is a much better team than the one we saw (at a practice match) in December," Exley said. For his part, Exley noted that the away game was his team's first competitive game.

RSJ midfielder David Barnett, who himself fired hard shots on goal, said the victory was a emphatic sign of improvement over last year's team in which RSJ posted a dismal record. Barnett said "good question" when asked if the 2011 RSJ team could have beaten North Coast. He said he didn't know the answer.

Arellano, the manager, sounded optimistic as he looked ahead to his team's season.

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw part of the phoenix-san diego game and I do have to say the coach and the players did look off in the 1st half, second half though the team and the coach started to believe too bad I didn't get to see the penalties
    as for the flash game wow..I had boca written off since it was the day right after the phoenix, major props

16. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Great games! Congrats Boca!!
    Flash seems to comfortable and not hungry enough.
    They need some younger and faster players. Where was Underwood? I heard he is back

17. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
  18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please remind me, didn't Boca have a great year last year, but was disqualified for illegal players or something?

19. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the sd Flash

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're thinking of the Flash. And they only had to concede 3 games due to a player ultimately being ineligible to play (which was largely the player's fault for lying). They still went on to win the Western Division South. Boca finished dead last and had a terrible year.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancaster finished dead last, Boca 2nd to last
    the Brit didn't lie, it was the flash management who went ahead and played him without clearing him

1 person likes this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected. Forgot completely about Lancaster (but then with only 3 wins who wouldn't ;) ). As for the Brit, he lied to the Flash management about his status, or at the very least misrepresented it. The team and indeed the league too should have cleared him better, that's true. But it was also not something that was necessarily easy for an NPSL side to accomplish either on their own without league support, so they took him at his word, which was a mistake. One I'm sure they'll not make again.

23. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Depends whose story you believe, I guess. ;)

I still think a slice of the blame has to be reserved for the league. They really shouldn't be letting teams register ineligible players in the first place (regardless of whether the player has misrepresented himself or the team is misrepresenting him). Although, as pointed out, keeping track of such things at this level is easier said than done.

On a more this-season note, good start for the Flash, and sounds like a "blah" start for Boca. Yan sounded pretty peeved in the article.

Derby this weekend should be interesting as always.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Boca's coach wasn't even at the game I can't say I'm shocked they had a few miscues early in the game that cost them the game ultimately. Frankly his absence for the league opener is just weird.

And yes, the Derby should be very interesting as always. I love the animosity between the two ownership groups, it enhances the game between them. Even if it does stray into being petty like how Boca has an interesting take on how a league table should look on their website. They list themselves as top of the table despite only having 1 point and list the Flash on the bottom despite their currently in 1st place as far on the table as they can from Boca. There really is no love lost between these two...