Sampdoria [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by dor02, Aug 23, 2009.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about Sampdoria making the CL?

FORZA DORIA!

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    dor02 - Do you think the club will make the effort to make it to the group stage? I find it interesting that Marotta and Del Neri have left after getting the last CL spot. Is there fear that they will end up like Fiorentina if they are unable to battle for two competitions? You must have mixed feelings about their move since you support both Samp and Juve.

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's very likely that Sampdoria will end up like Fiorentina next season and even though their UEFA Cup/Europa League runs weren't great, I think that Sampdoria were trying to put their effort into getting into the CL. Udinese denied Sampdoria in 04/05 but this time, we got the better of Palermo.

Sampdoria should get into the group stage and aim for the second round. I do feel that should be the mimimum goal for any of the smaller clubs who get fourth place in Italy. Even if you are Chievo, who couldn't beat Levski in the 06-07 qualifiers, any club representing Italy should surely get into the group stage (Chievo did get there because of Calciopoli though). It also depends on who stays at the club, who comes in and the luck of the draw.

By getting Del Neri and Marotta, I think Juve have seen what Sampdoria have done with a squad that lacks depth. Aside from Cassano and Pazzini, there isn't much quality there. Poli has been a revelation though and most of the others have adapted into different roles or realised their potential in the Sampdoria team.

Marotta would do a much better job than Secco (needless to say) and he did bring the two forwards to Sampdoria. I don't know if Del Neri is up for coaching a big club because he didn't last long at Porto. Despite that, I'm just glad Rafa won't be going to Juve. Del Neri will offer solidarity and a greater fighting mentality to the team and Marotta will spot better transfer targets. Rafa can't do either.

From a Sampdoria perspective, I'm scared that Marotta will try and take some Sampdoria players. Garrone will be trying to keep the two forwards. I've heard rumours that Palombo and Ziegler were potential targets for Juve but it wouldn't be as bad as losing both forwards.

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Thanks. I read about the Palombo rumor today. I hope they make it to the group stage and do well enough. I guess a lot depends on who will take over. It has to be someone that can deal with Cassano as he will be a key for the CL. As for Marotta and Del Neri, I feel they will do well as Juve rebuilds. Del Neri will not have the pressure to play certain transfers like Ferrara had to do, so either they play their potential or others will take their spots.

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The latest rumours are that Palombo and Almiron will swap clubs and either Mihajlovic, Allegri, Di Carlo or Donadoni will take over as coach. Apparently Miha wants to honour his contract or he'll wait until Inter go after him because that's where he wants to go. Allegri and Di Carlo use a 4-3-1-2 formation from what I've seen and the latter uses a DM behind the strikers. If Donadoni is the coach, Italy can kiss the fourth CL spot goodbye! He screwed himself after getting the Italy job.

6. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Garrone has vowed publicly that no players will leave Samp, and I believe him.
    The bad news: he vowed no new players will come to Samp unless they get past the play-in for the CL, and I believe him on that too.
    Financially this is an understandable stance for a legendary cheapskate like Garrone: to beef up with expensive CL level players and then flame out before the group stage is unappealing.

Incidentally Garrone wasted no time replacing the braintrust that Juve stole from him; he went out and stole Udinese's braintrust in turn, and Udinese in recent years ranks with Samp and Fiorentina, or perhaps above them, in its shrewdness of transfer dealings (although last year they got too greedy and missed the peak selling window for a number of their squad, eg D'Agostino.)

The key thing will be to retain either Castellazzi or Storari at keeper, since both have proven they can turn losses into draws and draws into wins. But Samp has no contractual rights to either at the moment. With one of them in net, and Pazzini up front, who can win a match with practically his only touch of the match, and Cassano to provide some magic moments to tee up Pazzini, plus a solid defensive unit Samp could possibly grind out a result in the play-in with their existing roster against many of their potential matchups. A lot will depend on the coach, it has to be someone who can provide continuity with the unshakeable tactical discipline of Del Neri.

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Castellazzi has been at the club for years but Storari has been very impressive. To be honest, I wouldn't mind either one in goal. They have been excellent keepers this season.

I totally agree with you on Garrone. It's good to balance the books but if you have the money, spend it!

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You guys better kick that Werder ass! I'm going to be rooting for you guys. Good having the away game first.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. It's better to be at the Ferraris for the second leg.

I hope the Ozil scenario works in our favour. Apparently Werder aren't sure if Ozil will stay or go. I still think that Di Carlo is too inexperienced for such a competition but I want him to prove me wrong. I feel that too much will depend on Cassano and Pazzo but I hope that the fans at the Marassi create a tense atmosphere for the Germans in the second leg.

FORZA DORIA!

10. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A talented player but he lacks substance. He can be a great left-winger if he applied himself. Unfortunately, Guberti at 26 is like C Ronaldo at 18.

Sampdoria lost 2-0 to Koln. This is a concern because we will be facing German opposition soon. Da Costa was in goal, who is an unknown but otherwise, we had a full strength team.

http://www.football-italia.net/aug07u.html

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    FortUUUUUUUUUna!

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GRAZIE!

Ozil might not being playing for Werder. He could be off to Real.

14. maldini_mo

maldini_mo Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He officially moved to Real today!!
    thank god, Werder have now lost one of their biggest sources of creativity.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't he going to stay with Werder for this season?

16. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    No, he's a Madrid player now, thankfully!

Good luck tomorrow Sampdoria! I will be rooting for the boys tomorrow!

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good stuff for Samp that Oezil is gone. I got money on you guys! Get it done.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I definitely agree. Ozil's departure is a positive. Now it's time for Cassano to show what he's made of and keep a cool head.

19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Probables per this link...

WERDER BREMA (4-4-2): Wiese; Fritz, Prodl, Mertesacker, Pasanen; Bargfrede, Borowski, Hunt, Frings; Pizarro, Hugo Almeida. All. Schaaf.

SAMPDORIA (4-4-2): Curci, Stankevicius, Lucchini, Gastaldello, Ziegler; Semioli, Palombo, Dessena, Guberti; Pazzini, Cassano. All. Di Carlo.

20. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Samp looking somewhat up for it. Pazz with a nice goal, but just a shade offside...

21. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    That Hunt guy looks really good. Werder is dominating possession but Samp looks dangerous on occasion; especially Cassano and Semioli.

22. llewelyn

llewelyn New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Apparently Poli had some sort of injury. Never been too impressed with Tissone.

23. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Yeah. Tissone's not much.

24. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cassano looking a little off...too much sesso with his 19yr old in the off season. Hehe. Nice save by Curci.

25. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Decent performance so far apart from Cassano.