Sampdoria [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by dor02, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Snake777

Snake777 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Sampdoria 2009-10 [R]

Sampdoria Striker Antonio Cassano Returns To Full Training

Sampdoria striker Antonio Cassano has returned to training after missing more than a month of Serie A action, the club's official website has revealed.

The former Real Madrid and Roma man has returned to training alongside the first team after missing six Serie A matches. Coach Luigi Del Neri at first stated that Cassano was left out for tactical reasons, but then more recently claimed the player would only be included when fully fit.

At the beginning of the season, Cassano was the main protagonist as the Blucerchiati occupied first place in the standings, but they suffered a dramatic dip in form that ended with the 27-year-old's absence.

It remains to be seen how his return will affect the team and when and if his coach will use him in the line-up.

Meanwhile, veteran goalkeeper Luca Castellazzi, who is reportedly on the verge of a summer move to Inter, is still training separately.

The Genoa-based club will face struggling Lazio this weekend at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I'm not sure what to make of it. I still believe that Del Neri has benched Cassano because of his form and temperament. I do feel now that he needs to return under the condition that Cassano has taken his head out of his own backside. We missed his invention against Inter and we had no forwards against Parma bar the unknown Scepovic. We need to beat Lazio but they managed to beat Parma recently and we couldn't do that.

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

2-1 against Lazio and it was a good win too. We had the better of possession but we could have scored more. Guberti scored from a great free-kick and Pazzini scored after a Semioli flick. Guberti was very good, playing a part in both goals and showing his amazing flair. The Italian Cristiano Ronaldo?

Cassano came back but he didn't do much? He tripped over the ball when he tried to back-heel to a teammate and he should have lobbed Muslera at the end instead of trying to dribble past him.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Cassano didn't really have much time to impress but it was good to see him out there. Also, Muslera came out way too quickly for him to lob the ball. That play happened in a matter of mili seconds.

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006

It was fantastic anticipation from Muslera because the play happened so far outside the box, but also I think Cassano's lack of match sharpness was a factor. In peak form he probably would have found a way to flick it past the keeper or something.

But great to see him back, for sure.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I disagree. His first touch was excellent but after that, he could have lobbed the ball. I do agree with AmericanKaka in that he is lacking in awareness due to being out for a while so on other days, he might have tried the lob shot.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good job Cassano!

Cassano 7 Al rientro da un infortunio, non è sicuramente al top della forma. Nel primo tempo si vede negare il gol da un salvataggio sulla linea di Marchisio, poi fallisce il vantaggio a tu per tu con Chimenti. Nella ripresa sembra calare poi esplode improvvisamente il suo genio calcistico, concentrato nella conclusione improvvisa da trenta metri che sorprende Chimenti e regala tre punti preziosi ai blucerchiati.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeSBs6zlys&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- SAMPDORIA-JUVENTUS 1-0 HIGHLIGHTS AMPIA SINTESI DOMENICA SPORTIVA 29°GIORNATA - 21/03/2010[/ame]

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great lob on his part and Sampdoria is now level with Palermo.

I didn't watch the full game but Juve didn't deserve a point due to their recent form. I feel that it is Sampdoria's turn for CL action!

FORZA DORIA!

9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    On the one hand, I would love to see Samp qualify for CL.
    On the other hand, I have no faith that our management would not gut the team in the offseason by selling Pazzini or Cassano or both, failing to resign Castellazzi, loaning out Poli, etc. etc., leaving us to embarrass ourselves.
    The good news is the rumors of Del Neri moving on... he's not a CL quality coach.
    If we could somehow keep our stars, reinforce at a couple of key positions (we have the worst set of sidebacks in Serie A, for example, even worse than Juve's), and get a coach with balls, then it would actually be fun to see some CL action.

Allow me to fantasize that Garrone would actually open the wallet to support a CL campaign, having achieved qualification on the cheapest possible terms...

OUT:
    Semioli
    Tissone
    Ziegler
    Zauri
    Fiorillo
    (maybe $5 million for the lot of them if we're lucky?)

IN:
    Marilungo (back from loan)
    Maresca (buy from Olympiacos... less than $5 million?)
    Barzagli ($8 million? Wolfsburg has no hope of qualifying for Europe next year)
    NEW RB WITH PACE (Pisano from Cagliari???)
    NEW LB (Kolarov? especially if Lazio is relegated $10mil?)
    Total: just over $20mil

Something like this:
    DT: Mihaijlovic
    Cassano-Pazzini-Mannini
    Poli
    Maresca-Palombo
    Kolarov-Barzagli-Gastaldello-Pisano
    Castellazzi

Now that is a starting 11 that could go places, although there would be no depth to the squad. Too bad it's a complete pipe dream.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Sampdoria do make the CL and Del Neri leaves, Cassano and Pazzini should stay. Why would Pazzini go to a team like Juve if they fail to make the CL? Castellazzi better stay because if the rumours of him going to Inter are true, he's wasting his time.

I wouldn't go after Barza. I don't think he's that good and he can be a bit error prone. I wouldn't about object to getting Maresca. He could do with a return to Italy.

Kolarov will probably go to Fiorentina or Inter Buenos Aires.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another look....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BZp07l5mzA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Emanuele Dotto - GOL di CASSANO in Sampdoria-Juventus 1-0 (21/3/2010) VIDEO[/ame]

12. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    No doubt Samp couldn't lure him if Inter came calling, but why would he go to Fiorentina who have no shot at the CL and whose coaching situation is totally up in the air? They are being cheap now anyway after splurging before.

Still, Samp will no doubt remain even cheaper.

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good point. I originally thought that Fiorentina would splash out more money for Kolarov but when you consider that there are all these cheap new players at Fiorentina like Comotto, Natali, C Zanetti and Marchionni and that they couldn't get Cassano on loan, there's a good chance they'll struggle once Prandelli leaves. If Kolarov does leave for Inter, it's one thing but it would be good if we got him too, especially if Mihajlovic comes. He'll have another Serb to guide him.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After losing 2-1 to Bari and drawing 1-1 to Cagliari, Sampdoria have gone back to winning ways with a 2-1 win over Chievo. We should have got a penalty in the first half though. Now we are level with Palermo on 51 points and in contention for CL action.

Guberti has been playing well. He scored against Cagliari and he set-up the Cassano goal on the weekend. Pazzini is fourth in the capocannoniere race with 14 goals and Cassano is next with 6.

15. Snake777

Snake777 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So glad to see Cassano back...

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's also been scoring more of late so that's even better!

The Genoa derby is next. I expect another rough and physical game. The last few derbies haven't been for the faint-hearted and from memory, we have lost the last three. Time to play with some balls, ragazzi!

FORZA DORIA!

17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    We managed a huge win over Milan, one of an absolutely incredible series of fixtures coming up in the closing weeks that affect the race for European places. Palermo only managed a spectacular injury-time comeback from 2-0 down, so we're alone in 4th at the moment.

The Goal Twins took care of business and Cassano is really on a roll.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very good win. It was a tough game and in the first half, it wasn't that great. Gattuso should have been sent-off and Guberti was running all over the place. He was blocking Ziegler's runs and he tried to get the glory. Del Neri got his subs right and Bonera got what he deserved. Cassano had a good game but aside from the goal, Pazzini wasn't that good. It was a good header though. Zauri had one of his better games and Storari made some vital saves.

Roma are next and it will be tough getting points against them. Eyes should be on Cassano once again.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma 1-2 Sampdoria

Sampdoria were defensive throughout the game and made the most of their opportunities. Storari made some great saves in goal and Ziegler played well at left-back. Pazzini is now equal third in the capocannoniere race thanks to his double against Roma.

Livorno are next and although they have been relegated, we can't take them lightly. It's a game like this in which the players may end taking their foot of the pedal.

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    An epic victory, yet so tense is the closing set of matches, with head to heads against both Palermo and Napoli and everything on the line, that it is hard to celebrate.

This match worries me a lot actually. The temptation of letdown or lookahead are colossal. And we lack the true quality across the squad to just sweep them aside; we have to be focused and play our game.

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True. We lost to them away so we can't rely only the home advantage to win.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hats off to Samp. They played excetionally well against Roma.....

23. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not in the first half they didn't....the second half they woke up, but Roma should of closed the game in the first half 2-0.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah thats true but Samp turned it on when they needed to. Unfortunately for roma, the game is 90 minutes not 45.....

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Riise was caught out on both goals. He's not a man-marker but he left Pazzo free for both goals.