Salt lake made me to be proud of the MLS.....

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Brrca Fan redded, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    But the game and the playing surface made me wish for a better team then the Rapids and a better stadium. I am happy for the score line , but over all the worst game I have seen in MLS. Hope some of the folks come back for the next game.

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Salt lake made me to be proud of the MLS.

That was far from the worst game Ive seen in MLS.

Frankly, although I understand the proximity rivalry, I wish MLS would have schdueled anyone but the most defensive team in the league for the RSL home opener.

The attendence put Chivas USA to shame. I will be interested to see how many fans show up to tonights Chivas game.

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Colorado wasnt all that defensive, they were just bad offensively. Real Salt Lake has its own offensive problems. The result seemed fitting.

And Im glad the league scheduled Colorado, because the important thing for RSL was a win to send the first home crowd home happy, and that happened.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

I agree. Tonight's their real test. (Next week is technically a Galaxy home game.)

Anyway, for an expansion team RSL looked good. And once they get their passing together they're going to be just fine. (BTW, Fitzpatrick was a real coup of a signing.)

But Colorado! Ugh ... Who was the moron who hired Clavijo?

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously you missed some of the "classic" soccer of '96, or haven't watched some of KC's mid-summer games. ;)

6. Brrca Fan redded

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Oh, please don't remind me of those ulgy days.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was indeed painful to watch. Nobody was on the same page, horrible passing, the ball escaping players cause it doesn't have grass to slow it down and a slew of other things that bothered me. The one big positive was the crowd and I applaud SL for being there. The negatives are numerous and I don't think Checketts can get the team out of the stadium fast enough cause it SUCKS! The PA announcer, same as the mofo in Columbus, HE WON'T SHUT UP! I HATE hearing commercials in the background crowd noise and announcements... TO ME IT IS THE BIGGEST F'N INSULT TO THE SPORT AND PLAYERS ON THE FIELD TO ANNOUNCE ANYTHING ASIDE FROM WHO SCORED A GOAL... as to WHY MLS allows that crap I don't know. I literally go apesh!t when I hear the announcers going on about sponsors and the $2 pizza available DURING THE GAME! I swear watching home games on tv for the Crew and ReAL will probably make me have an early death. I seriously CAN'T STAND IT!

Ok, aside from that go MLS... you have a ways to go yet but your getting there.

8. Brrca Fan redded

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Ok, aside from that go MLS... you have a ways to go yet but your getting there.[/QUOTE] MightyMouse
    What did you do with all the avatars I sent you.

9. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing all that red in the stands, I'm thinking the US game there is going to be a site to see :)

10. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I am so glad RSL got the late goal and the 1-0 win... it would have sucked to see the excellent 25k in support treated to a 0-0 draw. That happens far too often in MLS - when the big crowds turn up, the product is usually crap. Look at San Jose late last year, pull in their biggest crowds of the year and can't put one in the goal - no way to keep fans from coming back like being shut out. The game overall was pretty poor today, but I think the late goal and the scares from Colorado that followed will be enough to get most of those fans to come back.

11. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    The game was decent, not even close to being the worst MLS game I've ever sen.

The playing surface is not that bad.

A better team than the Rapids would have beaten RSL and ruined their home opener.

The stadium looked great, even though it wasn't even 2/3 full.

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    I had been thinking recently, after watching the first two weeks games, that the level of play had really gone up. Then this game.

You are right. Worst game I have seen. Clint, Dipsy and Jason are not in sync with each other.

Nice avatar

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So announcing who has recieved a card, or the amount of injury time is an insult to the crowd? Damn.

Funny, I could have sworn I've heard announcements made at Liverpool (among other places). I guess they don't know what they're doing either.

Relax, it's not the end of the world.

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think the Rapids controlled possessoin most of the game though it evened out later in the 2nd half. Their starting strikers Cunningham and Peguero were unavailable. Obviously the team isn't deep at that position.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first thought as well. Too bad it did not look that way when we were in Birmingham.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. It was not the greatest played ever but it certainly was not the worst. Sent the crowd home happy and put a good number in the attendence register.

Not a bad start.

16. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sounds like you need to get laid... :eek:

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Really? I'm not flaming you, but I didn't think the Rapids seemed to control possession. I was there and it seemed fairly even - of course, each team had moments where they held the ball...

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Move to England, and leave us alone (you'll be happier...MLS will never meet your expectation level)

19. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego

the stadium is more empty than Spartan Stadium.

20. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

What delicious irony.

21. ED Fajardo

ED Fajardo New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Fairfax,VA
    The atmosphere looked pretty good, but the game was pretty bad on both sides. I did wtach it all, though, and hope the crowds are there all season long. That said, I think part of Colorado's problem may be that they're too dependent on there keeper,psychologically. It seems that if they're tied late in the game, they pull back offensively, beleiving that there's no way anyone can score on their keeper. There's no way that an established team like Colorado shouldhave been this bad (flat) yesterday. Not that they should have killed RSL, but one expected better of them.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

A certain ESPN2 announcer ... much to his discredit.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, I believe that it was Wright who had the say. Balboa keeps stating that he's just an ambassador, and if you followed the saga of a new coach (Apparently the Rapids were only willing to pay a bit more than what most assistant coaches make) this stinks of another cost-saving measure by Charlie Wright and KSE. It's fairly obvious that KSE has no interest in spending more than the minimum on the Rapids until the stadium opens. They own a sports network and are showing less than half of the away games...

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I believe Galarcep criticized Balboa for the Clavijo hire.