Alert: Salihi four in seven

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by shepchews, May 7, 2013.

1. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jiangsu Sainty [edit]

On 3 February 2013, Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Sainty official announced that they has signed Hamdi Salihi from D.C. United to replace injured Cristian Dănălache.[3] On 26 February, he scored his first goal in his debut for Jiangsu, in a 5–1 away defeat against K League champions FC Seoul in the first round of 2013 AFC Champions League group stage match.[4] On 3 March, Salihi won his first title in China in the 2013 Chinese FA Super Cup which Jiangsu Sainty beat Super League and FA Cup winners Guangzhou Evergrande 2–1. He forced Guangzhou's Zhang Linpeng to scored an own goal in the 18th minute. He then squeezed in his first goal in the league in another 2-1 win against the newly-promoted Wuhan Zall with a low-fly header. He scored twice (a penalty kick and a last-minute equalizer) in the following home fixture, who witnessed a tough 2-2 tie of his team against Shanghai Shenxin. Hamdi Salihi scored again in 2013 AFC Champions League group stage against Japan team Vegalta Sendai in last match in Group E

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can he defend?

James

3. ericmann78

ericmann78 Member

May 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but does he have bite? or grit?

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually scored again on Monday. He's at 6 goals for Jaingsu (4 in league play, 2 in Champions League), with another for his country in a World Cup Qualifier.

5. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Wow. Just wow. I know they're not world beaters like Columbus, but still. He's probably taken more shots on goal than the entire DC team as well...

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it another for Salihi over the weekend.

7. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez. Check this out

Alejandro 10 and pr0ner repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's absurdly well done.

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I didn't see him doing any defending in that clip, so he doesn't fit into our system.

10. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta let it go but I think we (Ben) made a huge mistake not letting Salihi get tons of minutes, used to the league and playing with the team. I think the guy is really good. This has never been explained to my satisfaction.

Alejandro 10, Boloni86 and fatbastard repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His game winner against Norway in their most recent WCQ is up on Youtube, too. Absolute rocket into the top corner after a short pass from a free kick. Amazing that he's not here...what a waste.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  12. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    nobody on our team is making that run
    nobody on our team is finishing that either

i refuse to watch any other clips because it hurts too much

fire olsen & kasper immediately for paying this guy to leave town

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shipped out of town, while Pajoy stays. Unbelievable. A shame how we treated him.

14. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really was the weirdest thing-Salihi getting shunned like that. I think ben being a local hero masked the fact it was a horrendous decision to not play him. I asked Goff a couple times why he wasn't playing and got this "if you saw what I saw you'd understand". Stupid. I watched him closely when he played and it didn't look like he was out of shape or half-assing it.

NASI GORENG, Boloni86 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  15. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    the situation last year made it painfully obvious that Ben was part of the problem

i never fully trusted Payne and Kasper to begin with but i lost all trust in Ben as a judge of talent/form based on how Hamdi was treated

i dont know any other manager on earth that would start Long Tan and Lionard Pajoy over Salihi

could you imagine explain that to him game after game while assigning him to the bench?

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's that WCQ goal vs. Norway.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff, at least when it comes to soccer, doesn't know his ass from his elbows. Plus, as I've said many times before, the dude is a complete shill for team management. Asking Goff about players is a waste of your precious breath. Just follow what the team is doing with a player and you already know what Goff is going to say about him.

shepchews repped this.
  18. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    wow. that's a nicer goal than we'll see from dcu this year. bummer

19. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff to me comes off as this really pompous guy, for no good reason. He does these puff pieces, background charactr pieces, that any decent college journalism student could do. He totally went along with Ben's program last year.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I just have a stick up my butt about him. I have run across him a number of times when I used to attend a lot of the team practices (before Dave Kasper told me that Tom Soehn didn't want people watching practices ... more on that later). And Goff to me, was a pompous, arrogant gasbag.

Back to Kasper, it's also the reason I wouldn't trust the man to sell me a bottle of water. True story (and very off-topic) ... since I work in DC and used to drive in to work fairly late from MD (true lawyers hours), I would often stop in for practices for 30-45 minutes in the morning. It had gotten to the point that Soehn would come over and greet me personally, even though I was doing nothing to draw attention to myself and was quietly standing by the gate.

One day I was off, and came by in some flip-flops instead of a suit, and Soehn actually (and seriously) asked if I minded coming out and running with the team during drills (I politely declined as I didn't want to distract from his practice). The excuse I gave him was that I'm too old to be out there running around, to which Soehn lambasted me for being a wimp ... and we both laughed it up. Soehn was AWESOME. Nicest guy in the world. So the very next time I came to practice (this time before work in my suit), Kasper was there (he almost never was out there). He comes directly at me, asks who I am, and when I tell, he tells me that Soehn had informed him that he didn't want non-media at practices and I had to leave. Now I have ZERO problem with not being allowed to stay and watch. I DID have a problem that Kasper didn't have the freaking SACK to say that HE didn't want me at practice, instead using Soehn's name as a crutch, which I surely knew it was. We have some weak kneed executives.

NicktheGreek, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's continue with the broken record - Salihi scored again over the weekend. Game winner in stoppage time.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The only remaining question is how many more goals will Sahili have than DC United at the end of the season.

23. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salihi....********

24. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004