Saint Louis University 2011-2012

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sport Billy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I agree. I liked what he said about trying to change the tempo of the game. I think that the college game sometimes is too fast. Mainly due to the substitution rules. Would be better if subs were like it is in the interntaional game - just three and that is it.

2. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC

well...i don't know if u notice, but he doesn't make any changes anyways, so u don't have to worry about speeding up the play of the game...take advantage of the rules which allows u to make subs, and get some energy off the bench to players who are hungry opposed to someone who knows they will play the entire game if they start.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If you look at the box scores of most of the current elite programs that have a good rep for sending players to the pros like Maryland and Akron, they don't sub a lot and instead try and mimic the FIFA rules. Not always, but a lot.

Virginia did this as well so it's no surprise that's how McGinty coaches.

4. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    So what is a lot of subs???

MD has averaged 6.3 a game for their 12 games.....and if you think that is because of blowouts they have 6 one goal or tied games.....for them.....5.2 sub a game

Aron yes at 2.9 / game

Reference #'s

UNC 4.7 / game
    Wake 4. 6 / game

5. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Six is too many.

How come you never see SLU on Fox Soccer Channel? I guess it is the Akron game of the week?

6. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    UCSB 3.1 (note, I just took total games played by total games, didn't waste time looking at box scores, so if a player subs out and subs back in later, it only counts as one sub).

The sub thing can go two ways, if you are very deep with talent, why not give the bench more experience for the growth of the team? While not subbing much is better to prepare the players for the next level. You can play a lot of subs, in a few spots and still have the majority of the players play all of the game.

That said 6 seems like a ton.

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    SLU could be on Fox Soccer Channel if they wanted to pay the 10K to be on it. All it takes is $$$. SLU Athletic Department needs to pony up.

8. bravessoccer

bravessoccer Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Probably not going to happen.

9. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I flipped through box scores to capture the number of players in game. VERY few reported minutes played so the numbers reflect who made it on to the pitch and nothing more .

10. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Bills lose A-10 opener to Rhode Island, 1-0...anybody else think it's going to be tough to recruit when you only have 2 wins approcahing mid October ?

At least the Redbirds won....;)

11. soccerslu

soccerslu Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good point, but wait ... instead insert the usual drivel about player development ... haha. By now we see there are better players sitting on the bench and/or playing out of position, and maybe 2 recruits (no defenders) that have the skills to start and be developed now.

insanity/stupidity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

12. billikensoccer

billikensoccer New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I have been gone for a while but cant help but comment on this bs. Let me put an end to it real quick. This point is so small it really shouldnt even be a part of it. Some good teams sub a lot some sub a little. Overall, who in the hell is Mcginty suppose to put in? There is so little talent on this team to begin with, some even starting, who the heck is going to come off the bench?

13. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    I think the point was at the next level, subs are limited, so if you want to get to the next level, you need to train in college to play the full 90. The inference was that the top players expect that they are pro material (or close to it) and could be influenced whether to attend a school or not, based on the probability, or lack thereof, that you would get the chance to play the full 90.

Cuts both ways though, if there are less subs, less players get to play, so if you aren't part of the starting 11, you aren't likely to see the field much on the teams that aren't subbing much. The top talent is also probably confident enough that they are part of the best 11 that this might not matter much though.

14. billikensoccer

billikensoccer New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Players have been playing 90 since 16 and 17, it's nothing new once u get to college. I really doubt a recruit made a decision on a school because he looked at the subbing patterns. If your good enough you will play.

15. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    A Friday/Sunday conference schedule would likely require more subs than a wed/sat too.

16. soccerslu

soccerslu Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately, we lost to umass today 1-0 on a pk. Now, we are 2-7-1. The worst start in 12 years. OK, not much we could do to change losses to akron and indiana, but the last 5 games without a win against unranked teams could have been improved using line up changes that could have increased our chances of giving up less goals and/or scoring a few more.

17. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both SLU and UMass played very defensive, 11 men behind the ball.Both teams could have attacked more.

[​IMG]

Umass hunkered down and built up a bunker after the hand ball / pk was called.

18. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just really really really hope we can make the A10 Tourney considering it's at home.

19. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Weren't you the one who said that they were going to win the A-10 tournament? What made you think that? (Which I don't think you ever answered!)

Now you hope that they just make it?

How things change in a couple of weeks.

To not make it whein it is in your stadium would be disappointing.

In terms of Fox Soccer Channel - they should do it. What better way to show what the school is about?

Subs - my point was college rules should go to international. Game is played at a much faster pace otherwise.

20. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I still believe that they can win the A-10 Tourney. My reasons are:
    1. Early season schedule. I think I saw that it was the #1 schedule in the nation. Xavier and Charlotte are good, but they're not even as good as Notre Dame or South Florida (2 teams we beat)
    2. Playing it at home. Playing 3 games in 4 days or whatever is tough, but it helps to be able to sleep in your own bed, to be able to go through your normal routine, to have the crowd on your side.
    3. When you play a lot of freshmen and younger kids, it takes a while to get everyone going. By the time of the A10 Tourney, they should be settled in on a definite lineup and positions. I don't know any details or anything, but I'm still hoping that Sweetin can come back at some point. Even if he can only give 20 minutes a game, we could really use his speed on a wing or up top.

I think they'll still make the A10 tournament and once you have those 6 teams, everyone has a chance to win. They obviously have a long way to go, and obviously I'm biased, but if they can get in the A10 tourney, I think they're going to win it.

21. Horse Stinger

Horse Stinger New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Billikens playing Duquesne and Bonnaventure at home this weekend. Must win games if they want to play in the A10 tournament hosted by SLU. Defensive inconsistency and trouble scoring goals...not a good formula for success. I'd like to see Chad in the CB position...his grit and experience might help solidify a weak spot.

22. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    2 wins for the Billikens this weekend. Both on late goals by Robbie Kristo. Still looking for a consistent scorer.

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    LaSalle? Let the excuses begin.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Robbie Kristo is suddenly looking like he could become a dominant college player.

25. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    good yes...dominant? i would say not... I'm not sure scoring goals against bonaventure duquesne and la salle allows for conisderation as a dominant college player