Saint Louis University 2011-2012

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sport Billy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    oops....

2. billikensoccer

billikensoccer New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I like aj coming off the bench and providing a spark like he has. As long as he plays about 20-30 a game off the bench and does well i think that is a great role for him. Mags should be starting and i think those changes may happen soon. MM gave manning a chance and I think he knows the players is not ready yet. What about benching pais for the shackelford?

Big win though, makes the northern illinois loss hurt even more.

3. soccerslu

soccerslu Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yes, that would be good

got my fingers crossed ... haha

will believe it when I see it

would have held onto rebound goal

a lucky win, probably wouldn't have happen without nd down a man ... this only means that we can compete with nd if the give us a 1 man handicap ... we still have a lot to prove with rough waters ahead.

4. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Akron on Saturday. Should be a pretty big crowd. Gotta hope for good weather. Should be a very tough game but maybe we'll have confidence and a carry over effect from the ND game and we'll find a way to win or tie.

5. sleuth

sleuth New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    St Louis
    Love your optimism, but hope for your sake that you don't really believe it. The real maybe is "maybe in 5-6 years". Hate to rain on your parade but in case you have not noticed, there is one hell of a storm out there!:(

6. billikensoccer

Aug 23, 2009
    If there is one thing in college soccer that is true, its unpredictable. If SLU sits in and plays for a draw who knows what can happen. I dont think you can try and play them straight up with the talent we have. 5-6 years? cmon. All you need is one really good recruiting class like Akron did when they got started with all of this.

7. sleuth

sleuth New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    St Louis
    All true but your the last one I figured could even imagine that SLU would ever (at least for the next 5-6 years if ever) get a recruiting class equal to Akron. I don't see the draw and MM is not the "super salesman". Sorry to say, but if it does happen in the next couple years, it will be the dumbest group of talent we've seen in years. What are the chances?

8. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    This makes absolutely no sense..

"Dumbest Group of Talent" ??? What does that mean, exactly?

9. billikensoccer

Aug 23, 2009
    What? Why am I the last one also? Trust me it is not going to be easy but tell me what was Porters salespitch to recruits at Akron before they were anything, come play at a school not many people have heard of in the middle of Ohio? MM is going to have to put in extra effort but it is possible. One great class can turn everything around.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  11. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008

It wasn't pretty...4-0 Akron

Other than a shot off the outside of the post, SLU wasn't dangerous at all. If I had to guess, the Bills were outshot 25-2...no joke.

Caldwell is a man-child...all over the field, scored a brilliant goal and set up another.

12. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    great night of soccer and a great crowd...but different levels of play unfortunately

13. who4slu

who4slu New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Big win for the SLU...2-1 over south florida...watched on line looked like got pretty chippy in the end but Shackelfor (sp?) and team came up with some big plays late to hold on for the W.

14. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If slu can beat Florida Gulf Coast and Missouri State we could actually get through this tough non conference schedule with a winning record.

15. billikensoccer

Aug 23, 2009
    True. Northern illinois and 4-0 to akron and 3-1 to indiana all arent good loses. You lose 2-0 to akron or 1-0 to indiana then you say ok but getting blown out hurts even with the notre dame and South Florida wins. Lets just hope we actually beat Florida Gulf coast.

16. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And we lose to Florida Gulf Coast....

Hopefully we can beat Missouri State and Drake and come out of non-conference with a 4-4 record. Much better than most thought we'd have. Hopefully this schedule prepared us well enough that we can win the A-10 Tourney. Should be big having that tournament at Hermann.

17. Horse Stinger

Horse Stinger New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    All the games SLU has played have been against ranked teams with the exception of FGCU. That was a game that needed to be won. According to the stats, it looks like SLU had the advantage offensively but gave up a late goal. I don't know what happened, but if past history is any indication it was probably a defensive break down.

Soccer America Rankings 9/20

Current ranking/Record/Past ranking

5 Akron (4-0-2) 4
    7 Indiana (5-0-2) 7
    15 Notre Dame (4-1-2) 20
    18 USF (4-2-1) 12
    24 Northern Illinois (6-1-0) 13

18. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Really? Win the A-10 tourney after losing to Florida Gulf Coast? Walk me through that....

19. bravessoccer

bravessoccer Member

Sep 9, 2004
    FGCU isn't that bad. They beat UCF, who is 7-1-1 and is a consensus top 15 team right now, handing them their first loss.

They may not have a name, but they are a decent side and it won't be a bad loss at the end of the season.

FGCU's schedule:
    FAU (L, 1-3), at Portland (T), Washington (T), Rhode Island (W, 4-0), UC Irvine (L, 1-2), SLU (W, 1-0) and UCF (W, 2-1)

3-2-2 out of that isn't bad.

20. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    You are right. My bad. I looked up Florida Gulf Coast last year and they had an RPI of 34.

I still don't see them winning the A-10 tournament.

21. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think you meant to link up the McGinty video from the Akron game. Your link doesn't work but just go to http://www.slubillikens.com/HomePage.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27200 and select the video player on the right to get access. It's a good, long clip of McGinty prior to the game, during, and after. I like him even more after watching it.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I saw that as well and liked him from what I saw on the video. I would like him more if he won more games. What is a reasonable expectation in terms of holding Coach McGinty accountable for results (as they lose to Drake last night)?

I realize it only has been 30 games or so. So when would you expect to see results?

I also realize that he only has one class in the fold in terms of players recruited.

23. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think a fair judgement can take place after three years. But remember he got started late with recruiting after SLU dragged their feet in hiring him; he hasn't been able to get consistent games or minutes from two of his better players (Roach and Sweetin); players that have been here for a year or more get little time (Briggs, Bellomy, Magls); he lost some experience with Estes and Brown; and he's playing 4-5 freshman plus two sophmores a night. He is still in the midst of building a foundation for success and it will take longer for him. Our goal over the next couple years is getting the program righted so we have high level, winning play on a consistent basis. I think McGinty can get us there but it may take a bit more time. It's promising to see freshman leading the way with points this fall. I just hope this non-conference schedule will help us through the A10.

24. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008

A couple good wins, compounded by some head-scratching results....tie at home agaist Mo St. and a loss against Drake was painful. Drake is solid, but never could imagine the day where St. Louis University would be down 3-0 to Drake. I guess I am just confused in the direction he is going...what is the style? The forward would suggest they should play a direct-type of game, but that hasn't worked. Possession has been spotty in the 3-4 game I've seen this year. What is the reason for being outscored 17-10 ? Injuries should be considered, but tend to be an excuse. Yes, they did have a tough three-game stretch, but even not including those games they have been outscored 9-7. I don't believe the backline has experienced injuries, have they?

With this said, no formal determination can be made until the end of next year, at the earliest....The play just appears to be a bit jumbled and all over the place right now.