Safe? Or Not?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by refinDC, Jan 28, 2013.

1. blueboy

blueboy Member

Oct 26, 2000

You are quite wrong - bacteria do not grow on plastic grass - in addition, the first decent rain or drizzle washes the field clean - no need to disinfect an outdoor field at all - bunch of hucksters trying to scare enough people so they buy their disinfectant to make a buck.

2. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Bacteria can survive almost anywhere. And they can flourish in surprising places.

Now as to whether field disinfectants provide any significant benefit over a good rain, if I get the chance I'll see if there is any reliable data available.

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no biology major, but bacteria can grow damn near anywhere. And they most certainly can live and grow in water, so rain is hardly washing them away.

4. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Seems to me that viruses would be more likely to fester than anything else. But, like others have pointed out, I don't know that the turf is any more susceptible to that than normal grass. Also, the thought that nasty bugs wouldn't grow on plastic grass is a little short-sighted, as virus routinely thrive on surfaces like door knobs, desk surfaces, counter tops, toys, etc.

dadman repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So, would you call work because of wet counter or doorknob?

It's not shortsighted to ignore that nasty things grow on grass and are carried by bugs that live in it?

Lady bugs carry salmonella. Deal with that.

6. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Not sure where you are going with this... And I just walked back from the break room where there was, in fact, a wet counter(top). Haven't called anyone yet.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We wash our ladybugs.

8. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    ... But, do you sanitize them?

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Scrub for minimum 20 seconds with soap and water. It tends to make them a bit more tender though, and of course some folks prefer the crunchiness.