Sacramento MLS Expansion (non-local)

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by antnee7898, Apr 21, 2011.

1. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Yes, but they drive on the wrong side of the road, and that whole thing with how water swirls the wrong direction before it goes down the drain...

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I just have to ask, what direction does cold water swirl?

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    too many Cali teams already.... you guys need to be less greedy :)

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    America and Deportivo? That's not too many.

xbhaskarx, crzdcolombian and krudmonk repped this.
  5. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Cali will get another MLS team (in Sacto) after SJ opens up their new digs, sells out every game for 2+ years... and the Sacto Kings skip town... and then I put the chances at 50:50 on a good day.

6. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

The odds would go up is Kevin Johnsona actually had vision and started courting an ownership group in anticipation of the KIngs leaving. It's still not too late. I also don't think San Jose's attendance is relevant at all. San Jose might as well be San Diego to people in Roseville, Granite Bay, and El Dorado Hills, the ones who will pay for expensive seats in a Sacramento railyards facility. Moreover, as one poster said. "Sactown loves pro ball. Any pro ball. " Sac would be Portland South , not,San Jose East.

Old Man! repped this.
  7. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell would Kevin Johnson have anything to do with some sokker team? (I mean, from his perspective). If there is some large ownership group needed, I have a feeling Garber won't consider anything. Why rely on some amorphous democracy when you could choose something easier to deal with?

Sacramento would absolutely fill any stadium for a team. It won't get one until MLS 3.0, if at all. Too bad. I almost don't know anyone who wouldn't go to those games within a 1.5 to 2 hour radius of downtown.

8. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Dude. He's the mayor. Economic development is part the job desciption, along with oversight of those having day to day operational responsibilities . That's why any municipality that wants anything, can't sit on its arse and wait for thing to happen. They have to solicit it. The Brooklyn Dodgers don't move to LA when they did unless the local pols seek them out.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Every time Kevin Johnson is mentioned, I automatically think of this woman now.

[​IMG]
    I'm not a fan.

How did that even happen?

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that?

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Michelle Rhee...

His wife.

12. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he sees it. However, if he doesn't see the benefit or has any small personal reason to not go for it, he's not the kind of character who will. My questions wasn't really trying to ask about what's smart but rather who is the mayor.

13. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    KJ is the mayor... and don't expect his friends in the Capitol to step up and help Sacto save the Kings... because they're not his friends, and they have MUCH larger, statewide fiscal issues to address (like bringing the NFL back to greater Los Angeles, and preferably WITHOUT relocating a team currently within the Golden State).

14. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's the closest team to Sacremento at the moment? What league do they play in?

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Closest MLS or closest in any league? San Jose is closest at over 100 miles away. And I believe they've got a local lower level NPSL team.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed they do. The Sacramento Gold of the NPSL are the closest team.

17. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Weird/baseless comparisons aside, I don't think many people see Sacramento as "east" of here...

18. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's yet another valley city. It's more in the east valley, San Jose is in the west valley...
    Really though, it's way far away.

19. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many more teams are needed in CA? how would another team thats not far from San Jose benefit MLS?

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    San Jose is almost as far from Sacramento as Philly is from Washington DC.

Your concern is groundless.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not groundless at all, D.C and Philly are much larger markets then Sacramento, and more then worthy of there own teams

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You might want to rethink that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Depends how you measure it, and how much of the Bay Area you include in San Jose's market.

That aside, Sacramento's market, by any measure really, is similar in size to Portland and considerably larger than Salt Lake City.

In other words, there's no doubt they are plenty big enough to merit consideration. They could support a team.

Of course, maybe you don't think Portland should have a team.

23. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea, sac and portland are close in market size, but figure in that Oregon only has the Timbers and college athletics. my question is, what is the attraction or value of a 4th team in CA? is there a history of soccer in sacramento like portland had?
    what is the value of a 4th team in CA over Vegas, Orland, Detroit, or other markets that have been talked about in this expansion forum.

24. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wannit :)

aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't? Most people I know see it as east of here. Or northeast at the very least. As for San Jose being in the "west valley" I've never heard anyone refer to it as that.