Sacramento MLS Expansion (non-local)

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by antnee7898, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just Heard Sacramento Want An MLS Team

Listening to KHTK 1140, as I usually do while driving, and Grant Napear, the show host, did a news update with CBS of Sacramento.

The guy with CBS said a group of investors want to build a stadium in Oak Grove, just outside Sacramento, and bring an expansion team in.

Have no more news as I just walked through the door, but figure a few of you would be interested. Pretty decent youth soccer culture in Sac. it'd only compete with the NBA kings, who might move, might not, and the AAA baseball club.

2. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Elk Grove is to Sacramento what Gilroy is to San Jose. So outside the main market and pretty darn suburban. Then you got the heat. 100+ in July and August. MLS would be smart to stay coastal in California if they maintain the Spring-Fall calendar.

Let Sac join the PDL and make the PDL have some good divisions: Sac, Fresno, Orange County, LA, Ventura, BYU, Victoria, Vancouver, Tacoma, Abbotsford, Kitsap, North Sound.

3. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    And Elk Grove doesn't have any of the quaintness or garlic of Gilroy.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Just Heard Sacramento Want An MLS Team

The group is lead by Fabian Núñez, who is a former California Assembly Speaker and currently sits on the board of the USSF.

5. Re: Just Heard Sacramento Want An MLS Team

They should rebrand chivas and move them there

6. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In spite of a lot of talk about selectivity in expansion and NYC from Don Garber and the MLS Board, there is no way this many savvy business people walk away from the following, which has become the criteria for entering the MLS Chaebol:
    (1) Financially committed ownership group able to sustain a quarter of a billion or more in operating losses before approaching pro forma break even;
    (2) A stadium solution that allows the team to capture maximum revenue; and,
    (3) A viable fan base that will put the franchise in a positive and sustainable situation.

This formula virtually guarantees a team that will not be a financial ship's anchor on the league financially, bring in a nice expansion fee, and expand the league's footprint. There are many altruistic and legitimate reasons not to expand (dilution of talent, difficult owners...) However, I subscribe to the freakonomics of it all-- that the money ultimately dictates the direction the river flows.

Good luck to Sacramento if you can pull off the three above. If not, support the Earthquakes.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind Sacramento, especially if they have their shit together. I don't see why they couldn't match the success of RSL in the stands.

But...I kind of feel like MLS needs to use the rest of its expansion to improve the national footprint and absorb some bigger TV markets (places like Detroit, Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta, Twin Cities, etc.) to make the next big step in the progression of the league.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I saw this today, I was amazed as there has never really been much interest in a franchise in Northern CAL other than in San Jose. San Francisco , contrary to popular belief , has never been close to owning a team or has ever been considered, for that matter. I think SF would be a better choice than Sacto but regardless, it would be kind of cool to have another team up in Norcal...

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, it only took three posts. Could we go one thread about MLS expansion WITHOUT some one spouting off that Chivas needs to relocate/rebrand, it's old.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts as to why you think it's necessary, because I'm pretty sure your reasons have nothing to with fact or reality.

2 people repped this.
  10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because your owner doesn't give two shits about your team.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll just quote myself:

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I remember when Major Indoor Soccer League commissioner Earl Foreman said the exact same thing about the outdoor North American Soccer league.....

........man I'm getting old! :)

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winner.

Whether or not you disagree about the club moving out of LA, the ownership group they do have is doing little for the club.

14. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007

There is a better discussion on the daily news thread today. Basically there is no proof these guys have deep pockets. The proposed location itself speaks to that. And chivas is not leaving so-cal. No way. They are actively looking at locations. Sacramento is a good market for soccer. But we are looking at long term-- after Orlando, NYC 2 and perhaps others unless a Larry Ellison type guy steps up.

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Elk Grove? This is MLS 2.0, guys....

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PDL already has good divisions in the West. I think you're confusing it with USL Pro.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, would it be Sacramento Geckos "FC"?

:D

18. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope. The franchise's existence is an abomination.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007

I used to defend KC's existence back in its darkest days when many were dictating the absolute need for it to relocate. I would do the same for practically every other team.

But not Chivas USA. It doesn't need to change anything to continue existing. It is not the life or death situation that DC is in. But if it intends to be more than a place-holder team, it needs some major changes, and one of those changes is most definitely a move away from the Home Depot Center.

The argument shouldn't be about whether it needs moving and rebranding, but in where it should move and how much change it needs in branding and ownership/management.

20. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking the same thing.

21. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Coming from the guy whose team is still wearing diapers.

Chivas USA is fine. Are they operating at a optimum level? No. But, you can go across every sports league in the entire world and all of them have multiple teams where the owners do just enough to get by or sometimes less. It's how life works. There will never, ever be an MLS where all teams operate like a Seattle does as much as a lot of people on BS think that's how it should be. That's not how sports work and thats not how life in general works.

If you do not have money invested in Chivas or you are not a fan of Chivas then what Chivas does or doesnt do isnt any of your damn business. All of you constantly talking about them moving or rebranding are being nosy little bitches. Why the hell are you so worried about what Chivas does? You are no different than the nosy all ladies at work that gossip about other people at the water cooler. Mind your own damn business and worry about what your team is doing.

1 person likes this.
  22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said. I don't understand when people get offended when they hear others say "Chivas USA should be rebranded" or "they should move" when it's obvious that they are looking to move from Home Depot Center, and it's obvious that anyone who invests in something wants it to make profit. Chivas USA has a name that allows them to play anywhere in USA. If they want to represent LA, then represent LA by at least acknowledging them.

When they do decide to move, San Antonio, San Diego, Vegas, and Sacramento could and should all be highly considered for that rebrand opportunity if they come up with stadium proposals and the Los Angeles area doesn't come up with one to at least counter.

23. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Chivas USA brand is not accepted by Mexican fans who support the Club Deportivo Guadalajara Chivas or the other clubs in the Mexican Football League.

The club should and could just be Club Deportivo Los Angeles with the same colors but they need to drop the goats name. The Chivas name is divisive.

24. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. Elk Grove is at the southern edge of the Sacramento Region with literally nothing to the west or east of town and 30 miles (or so) down to Stockton.

The Sacramento Region could support MLS quite easily with the right ownership/leadership and stadium. The stadium would have to be located in downtown Sacramento, West Sac or even Davis (Davis could pick up fans from Solano County as well as the Sacramento Region).

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just don't get all the hatred for CUSA. I agree with everyone who thinks they have a dopey marketing strategy. However, the LA Clippers of MLS are doing alright; their attendance is somewhat lower middle end, but so what? If I were going to worry about failing franchises (and for the record, I am NOT worried, even a little), then Columbus or DC United seem more obvious candidates right now. And so would San Jose, except their stadium might be just about ready to almost get started in the next 60-90 days.