Sacramento Republic FC

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by Knave, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If people have a problem with "Republic" being the team name/on the logo, maybe they should worry about our state flag first.. Just saying..

Knave repped this.
  2. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Comment from the article -

Anyone want to tell him that the ownership has apologized to the supporters group and it was due to staff trained for baseball games who have no knowledge of how soccer works?

QuietType repped this.
  3. Deadestdai

Deadestdai New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    West Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not like it was the 1st time Raley Field's hosted a footie game either. Bit pants really.

QuietType repped this.
  4. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    pleasantly surprised here with the quality of the unveiling and the website and the crest and everything. looks like i got a new team to follow...

still don't like the USL tho...

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think this team's owners do either. ;)

6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front office did its part. Now it's time for people to do their part: show up at games. Off on the right foot, let's go Sacramento!

7. bloodhoundmuse

May 18, 2008
    Sactown & ND
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see how successful ownership is at convincing people to show up to games at Hughes Stadium. Positives: light rail stop, close to city center, BEER GARDEN. Negatives: field turf, permanent football lines, stadium is a dump. I still have nightmares about high school track practice in that place. :eek:

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, hopefully, the renovation of 2012 will calm those nightmares...

[​IMG]

9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the photo above and standards for NCAA football fields, this pitch may only be about 74-75 yds wide, though. Hard to tell.

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually very impressed now that I researched the promo video.. They did some serious computer effects during the game scene, namely taking away all of the ugly lines on the field, and making the yellow soccer lines white instead. They also added in the name/logo along the sidelines, and as Hector said changed the color of some people's clothing in the crowd. (I did manage to find part of myself in the close-up shots) ;) also they added the score during the "game", and we are playing the Los Angeles Blues! Haha, which makes sense how the guys were in blue... I hope they got their permission, haha.. But overall, really well done by that film company, wasn't expecting so much effort into it.

11. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wish they would have gone NASL. The organization seems much better than division three. I think that they felt USL was the better bet for a jump into MLS though.

12. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i bet they're in NASL within a few years. Sacramento is a great sports town. lots of potential. too good for USL imho... the only real model organizations left in USL are Orlando and Charleston, and Orlando will probly be movin' on up soon...

13. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owner's and coach's comments to the crowd between games made it clear that the goal of the organization is to move to MLS. I think they will pursue it aggressively.

14. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    of course their goal is MLS, but it remains unclear how many more teams MLS will add, and NYCFC, Orlando, San Antonio, Miami and maybe others are all ahead of them. NASL would be a good plan B. USL not so much...

15. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Easy....have a D2 w/ relegation - why not have it here in the US

16. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think one of the best arguments is that owners don't want to invest $100 million in an MLS team to wind up playing in the second division in front of 4000 fans with no TV deal. It would take a lot of work to get a strong second division of soccer in the US, with consistent 5 digit attendances, sponsorships, TV deals, etc. As it is, being relegated would be a massive blow to any MLS team, and a lot of lower division teams probably don't have the infrastructure to support playing in MLS. I think it's more likely that MLS will go to 25 or 30 teams than we ever see pro/rel in the US. I would bet on MLS going to 24+. If there's strong support, strong ownership, money, and a stadium deal backing an MLS venture, I think the league would be happy to add it.

QuietType repped this.
  17. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think the place to start is have promotion and relegation between the NASL and USL, just to see if it really would work in the US, before putting the MLS in. Would also help less expansion problems from forming like in OK City.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Can we please not ruin this place by talking about promotion and relegation?

19. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Well this American here cares, it was a historical fact and the story behind the team name. Let me guess British-Americans must hate the New England Revolution. The Mexican-American war was in the 19th century, we are in the 21st century.

20. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    When I said I don't give a shit, I meant that I didn't find the team name offensive in the way people were talking about the original Houston team name. I like how the name is reflective of history.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    74-75 would be in line with world standards. Hughes is 65 yards at most.

22. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used this to make my guess on how wide the field turf is:

http://www.sportsknowhow.com/football/field-dimensions/ncaa-football-field-dimensions.html

So, the field turf is maybe 74-75 yards wide. Assuming that's how Hughes was laid out. I guess the question is how close to the edge of the field turf that they put the sideline. I could easily see that being at least 1 yd from the edge of the field turf, so we might be looking at 72 yds wide, at the most.

But if you know for a fact it's only 65 yds wide, then, wow. That's tight.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The yellow soccer lines can be seen in that pic. I looked at the corner-kick hash marks, which are 11 yards from the corners. If they are right at the edge of the penalty area, that would make it 66 yards. Since they are slightly inside the area, I estimate 65 yards.

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hi all,
    New member here. Anyone have thoughts or insider info on a potential SS stadium?

I was just wondering whether W. Smith will play the Republic at Sac City college until he gets his MLS club, or start planning for a smaller stadium that can be expanded.

I always thought a soccer stadium right next to Raley field would be ideal. Just across the bridge from Old Sac.