Sacramento joining USL Pro in 2014

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuietType, Dec 3, 2012.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's just BS. Here's the Phoenix forum. If there's anything to be said about the team, you're likely to find it there. I can't find that post now. Sorry.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first step in minor league soccer becoming like minor league baseball is taken. Which is great new IMO. It works better with our North American mentality to have an affiliated minor system.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Sacto going to be our affiliate when they join the league?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That would be the most likely scenario as they are our closest team. Too bad they are starting their inaugural season though as I would have liked to see some of our draft picks develop with them this year....

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really excited for USL and MLS because of this. I've been hoping for years they'd go the traditional North American route and formalize a major-minor league relationship.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah seriously. They've been working apart long enough. Not sure why they couldn't ever get together and on the same page but I'm glad to finally see it.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing I wonder is where does this leave the neo-NASL? Are they going to be brought into the fold eventually as an effective AAA. Or are they going to be left to their own devices while MLS continues to cherry pick any desired teams.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a feeling, as opposed to the old APSL/A-League/USL, they seem a little more friendlier towards MLS and I wouldn't put it past MLS from assuming and/or buying them at some point in the future creating some type of promotion /relegation set up. I know the concept has always been unheard of but I think if they were to relegate maybe 1-2 franchises every year, it might do everyone wonders.

11. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType and mangerson repped this.
  12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am stoked as this will help the development pipeline and help fill the gap for the 18-23 year old players, but I am disappointed in the major-minor relationship.

I would prefer sacramento to be a rival, not a little brother.

13. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe is to early to say this, since only few MLS teams have pick their USL partners.
    But for the looks of it, geografic has nothing to do with the teams partnership, KC Sporting just make Orlando City their "partner" on this MLS-USL program.
    In the other hand neither Galaxshit nor Chivas have said anything about been partners with LA Blues

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the guys who run USL are dicks. They recently sold the league to new owners, so Holt is the head honcho now and Marcos has been reassigned. Thus, movement and change are once again possible.

USLPro is still pretty unstable. They have next to no set requirements for adding new teams, though they do conduct seminars on successful ways to market your club, how to do outreach, and so on. My big hope here is that this agreement means that USLPro gets some cash from MLS (or at least a few players on each team whose salaries are picked up by MLS), and some better local press, which might lead to more or better sponsors. I think that in the long-run, we need for USLPro and NASL both be successful, in order to properly grow the sport here in the North America.

The more successful pro teams, where players can get paid, and fans can see live soccer, the better for the sport. Even if many of those teams are second or third division, it's a place to developer players, coaches, GM's, FO staff, referees, and marketeers. Synergy my friends. More teams means a better chance of reaching critical mass.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but that could easily change. I mean I don't see why it wouldn't as it takes 1 hour at most to drive to the LA Blues complex from Home Depot Center.

16. fútbolgrande

fútbolgrande Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say geography has something to do with it. Thats why Philly & Harrisburg were already affiliated, Richmond & DC are assumed to do so, and all 4 partnerships involve Eastern Conf MLS teams. Honestly if I'm San Jose I would rather partner with a proven team all the way across the country like Charleston or Wilmington, than an unknown in their backyard. (Edit: I think their best option for now is to continue fielding a reserve team)

You're right though - geography isn't too important. Geography ranks 2nd behind whether the USL Pro team knows what the hell they are doing. Likewise, if I'm Charleston I am very selective about who I choose now. They are clearly the best USL Pro organization remaining without a partnership.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful. Pro-rel is a quick way to financial ruin for teams which is why you'll never see it in any of our lifetimes in the US (if ever). Having grown up with US sports I'm all for letting sucky teams suck. If they don't have a desire to win that's they're problem.

QuietType repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because the Blues suck.

They finished eighth out of eleven teams last season, and much more ominously, averaged only 666 people per game. I think that many observers expect the Blues to go bust after this season.

The Blues did just hire a new coach and GM, so they are willing to spend some cash. I think an association with the filth might help them. (Yeah, I know, the filth, but the Blues already dwell in The Smog, so WTF?) Whatever, it's a team in trouble. I wouldn't want to partner with them either.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

19. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be sad b/c the Blues worked wonders for Bright Dike last year. they also are where matt fondy has been working on his game, to great effect.

andrew jean baptiste also spent some time there last season. and josh suggs landed there after we released him.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You may be right about that Pro-rel but I do think eventually MLS & the NASL will somehow merge one day or at least develop some type of relationship. As it is their franchises (NY Cosmos & San Antonio) already want to be in MLS so I can't see how the league won't join them in some capacity eventually.

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it would be sad, and their women's team is pretty good. However, they haven't figured out how to market their club and they appear to be dying on the vine. I'd love to see them get much better attendance this season and maybe pickup another sponsor or three. With Sacramento coming into the league next year, it would be nice to have more West Coast teams.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Why is downtown better? Is there less traffic? Better roads? Less congestion? Easier to get to? Please explain.

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this would have said it all for you::D

proud smurf repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    A valid point. :)

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Raley Field is that you'd have to switch it back and forth between baseball (with exposed infield dirt), and soccer (with the infield dirt covered). Also, the seating arrangement in a baseball stadium is massively suboptimal for soccer.

What you need is an actual soccer stadium downtown, or failing that, nearish. Hughes is a great stadium, except for the track and the BogusTurf(tm). Which means that long-term, they need a different solution.

But we should be having this discussion over on the USL boards so that they get off their rears and create an actual USL - Sacramento Tomatoes forum.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sacramento-is-in-usl-pro.1979114/page-6#post-27111267

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark