Sacramento joining USL Pro in 2014

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuietType, Dec 3, 2012.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My source was blueballs whom you've already talked to. I neglected to ask him for his source however. It could be nothing.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    athletics68, Yeah, I haven't seen anything about the owners suing each other, and they just announced their stadium deal with ASU. I think that Phoenix Wolves are going forward. The el-lay Blues just announced a new GM, so they look to be in it for a while. Sacramento looks to have two western rivals, and two shorter road trips. That's good. But really, USLPro needs four or five more western teams and to play regional leagues, so that Sacramento aren't traveling to Tampa Bay and or Antigua.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

falvo repped this.
  3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    This thread may become more Quakes-relevant if the following proposal comes to pass:

MLS working with USL Pro on reserve league integration - NASN

RD84, QuietType, DotMPP and 1 other person repped this.
  4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that is HUGE news. I'm surprised I haven't heard about this already, as this would be in effect the merging of the two leagues into a major/ minor league system. I noticed their wording as "third" division - they want to maintain NASL as "the second" division? Why not just bypass them or pretend they don't exist?

This would almost certainly mean Sacramento would be the Quakes' minor team. Yea!!

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that they'd choose USL over NASL. And also good for the Sac team as it would seem to make sense that they'd become the Quakes minor league team (for lack of a better term).

7. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. As far as I know in baseball the major league teams can call up a player midseason from the minor league team if players on their team get injured or start performing badly and they need to fill a position. Or if a player on the minor league team is performing very well a impressing they can get called up to the major league affiliate. It would be awesome if it works the same way here!

8. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might get to contemplate this for real:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/13/gringo-report-different-kind-chivas-usa-oakland

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJTillIDie repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly... interesting. :eek:

If their plan to eventually join MLS indeed comes to pass, then the revised MLS list of all four of Northern California's major cities would probably consist of (in alphabetical order):

• CD Aguiluchos USA
    • Sacramento Sacramentans
    • San Francisco San Franciscans
    • San Jose Earthquakes

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice that last year, they won the championship of their league. Thus, they are already started.

It's only a failed business model if they stick to players of Salvadoran heritage. But they say that they intend to be inclusive, because they are all Americans! So we'll see. They've just announced a new coach, who has had experience in El Salvador's first division, so that has to be a good sign too.

Maybe they'll face plant, maybe not. For the sake of the beautiful game, I hope that they are successful, though I certainly don't expect to see them in MLS in my lifetime.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't really matter if they're inclusive or not in the make up of the actual team. It's the fact they're the bastard child of a single Salvadoran team that will kill them. Just as it's made Chivas USA a laughing stock. The same rules apply. They won't lure in most Salvadoran fans because they'll not want to root for a team tied to a competitor of their home team from El Salvador. And they'll struggle to lure in any other fans who aren't Salvadoran due to the perception (rightly so), that they're just some other team's bastard child. There's a reason Chivas USA is contemplating re branding.

It's not a matter of IF they'll face plant. It's a matter of how fast will it happen. Which is fine. I don't think these bastard teams are of much use to improving the home grown game anyway.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have come down to the mechanics of it, and NASL teams not wanting to cede a certain amount of operational control to MLS. For this affiliate system to work there needs to be a certain degree of integration between the technical staffs and organization of the clubs. USL Pro owners may see that as no big deal, NASL owners may not want to be yoked to another club.

Sacramento becomes our natural partner, but that also would mean that USL Pro entries are needed for Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and LA/Chivas USA. Wouldnt be suprised if RSL partners with Arizona's entry, as that is where their academy is located. Colorado would need to set up or find a partner, but that may be more relevant to a midwestern extension of USL.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Won't be able to complain about time change or jet-lag.....
    [​IMG]

Goodsport repped this.
  15. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know exactly how this "partnership" MLS-USL will work, but for sure it will be something that can benefit both parties, but mainly the quality of the sport in the country.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess this new USL Pro-- MLS reserve League loan agreement will have to wait another year? Not sure how good this thing will be for the Quakes this year....

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each Sacramento Sacramentans road game would still involve a somewhat long trip for them (as would any games in Sacramento for the other three teams), but trips for games between CD Aguiluchos USA, the San Francisco San Franciscans and the San Jose Earthquakes would be pretty short. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also not to say they couldn't fly from SJ-Sac (depending on the cost/benefit). I had a friend who worked for Intel in Folsom, and every now and then he would commute to SJ on their jet. Less than half an hour for what would be a two hour trip by car! :)

There's also the Capitol Corridor train. ;)

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How long does that take?

20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longer than by car, unfortunately. :(

21. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have my doubts also. After thinking it over more and more, they aren't ever going to get a suitable stadium in built in either Oakland or SF. Unless the Quakes give them a Gals-Chivas HDC rental deal, I'll believe they will be in MLS when I see it.....

23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType repped this.
  24. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Please ask Blueballs to elaborate on the Phoenix FC owners suing each other... Thanks!