Sacramento joining USL Pro in 2014

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuietType, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all four of Northern California's major cities each had an MLS team, they'd probably consist of (in alphabetical order):

• Oakland Oaklanders (Oaklandites?)
    • Sacramento Sacramentans
    • San Francisco San Franciscans
    • San Jose Earthquakes

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland still qualifies as a "major" city?

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento bills itself as the "City of Trees". Perhaps the name could reflect that.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sacto Sacs.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of a Styx song... "Too Much Time on My Hands"

proud smurf repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the Bay Area's three major cities and one of Northern California's four.

In any case, would its MLS expansion team (if it ever eventually got one) be called the Oakland Oaklanders or the Oakland Oaklandites?

-G

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goodsport repped this.
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either of those would be good too. :thumbsup:

-G

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland Stompers would be the historic name to use (since the Clippers are a basketball team now). But the best name would be the Oakland Relocations

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even though the Clippers lasted for 2-3 years and the Oakland Stompers lasted one.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither name is all that well known compared to the bigger names of the day. But it seems at least anecdotally that Stompers is more visible these days than Clippers. That and being that the Clippers name is also ised by tje basketball team in LA it would also be less desirable from a marketing perspective (and maybe legal one).

12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why the Oakland hatred? To each his own. I prefer Oakland to San Jose and certainly to San Diego, where I believe you live.

Back on topic, I hope Sacramento can succeed in USL Pro, whatever its team name.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not hate, just facts. Oakland is not even near the top 5 in terms of population anymore (it's hovering just above Bakersfield at this point) and is soon to lose 2 if not all 3 of its major league sports teams. It's a legitimate question, is Oakland even major league anymore. It's certainly a much smaller and less major league town than Sacramento at this point.

As for preferring it to San Jose or San Diego, that's your business but your hatred of both cities, particularly the home town of your favorite soccer team, is puzzling.

14. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't hate San Jose or San Diego. I just prefer Oakland to either one, and you took a big leap to infer that I hate San Jose or San Diego from my comment. And maybe, I leapt to a conclusion about you hating Oakland, but I remember many anti-Oakland comments among your many Big Soccer postings.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope that one day both the USL pro and the NASL can put aside whatever differences they have or had and possibly get a USSF division 2 sanction as they had two years ago. I think a national coast to coast 2nd division could do wonders for the game in this country....

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think you actually hated San Jose or San Diego. Consider my earlier response a teaching moment and you appear to have understood the message. So well done.

Also you are misremembering. As and Oakland A's fan I'd be pretty hypocritical if I hated Oakland. I loathe Oakland's leaders and government (if you can call it that), but that's not the city itself just the morons running it.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't happen unfortunately with the personalities running both. Not several decades at any rate. The best we can hope for short term is that one league folds and the other picks up their surviving teams.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Considering the leagues that were in place 20 years ago, WSL/APSL/SISL, I can't see how either the NASL or the USL will still be around in the next 20 years. I mean I hope they will last that long but its not likely, especially not if they keep fighting one another for players, status and/or prestige....

19. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just did a quick search of your past posts using "Oakland" as the search word and easily found several that are anti-Oakland, criticizing its neighborhoods and residents, in addition to its leaders and government.

Now, that I've admitted to being a little obsessive and adept at wasting time, I'll move on and reiterate my wish that Sacramento can be a good home to professional soccer.

PS. If I ever require your teaching assistance, I'll send you a personal message.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did that same check, couldn't find but one that was critical of its neighborhoods. And none critical of its residents. Found about well over 100 critical of the Oakland Coliseum. But then who isn't critical of that dump.

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there are firm rules in place for NASL, but almost none for USLPro. Thus, USLPro have the Charlotte Eagles, who have a pitiful attendance average, play in a lousy high school stadium (that has sink holes!), no beer at games, and a host of other weirdness. The club is a Christian missionary organization, so they don't seem to care how much money they lose, and it seems that their owners have very deep pockets.

And there's a new USLPro team sprouting up in Phoenix, and they had two or three teams in Puerto Rico briefly, but they all folded in season, because they didn't have enough money nor decent business plans. USL are every bit as unstable now as they used to be, you just hear less about them because their top flight is D3.

NASL have just admitted the Cosmos (who may well be out of business in a couple of years) and who just announced that they can't get it together for the Spring half of the NASL season, so they won't start until the Summer/Fall half of the season in August. (Gives you warm fuzzies, no?) And NASL have also admitted a team in Northern Virginia, for the 2014 season, who may not have a place to play.

I am hopeful that the lower divisions stabilize. I want to see long-term successful teams. (The Eagles have been around for 20 years I think.) The USLPro Pittsburh Riverhounds are in the final stages of building a sweet little stadium just across the river from downtown Pittsburg. It's very cool looking, but only two sides have seats, well, maybe three. So there's good news in the lower divisions, but still a noticeable lack of stability.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be rocky for a while. That Phoenix team you mentioned may never play a game. The owners are apparently suing each other.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL has trouble enough running their own house, I don't see them taking over USL. USL is messed up to be sure, but they have tons of youth teams, women's teams, and their USLPro, which is D3.

NASL includes the bogus Cosmos, who look like they can't get their act together at all.

Even so, it would be nice to see all of MLS, NASL, and USL under one roof. But that would require the shitte who run USL to stop running USL.

Back to Sacramento, I sure hope that they are successful, because I want to see the popularity of the game grow, all around the country.

Oh, and USL D2 (before the schism with NASL) used to be coast to coast. But with the Portland, Wankouver, and shittle franchises joining MLS, USL lost those clubs. So Sacramento, el-lay (who may be in trouble financially), and Phoenix (whose owners may be suing each other). Yeah, great stuff.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

I see that they just nailed down a stadium deal.
    http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/OdeenDomingoFC/174444
    No mention of owners suing each other, but you might be right.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

QuietType repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if the Quakes should use them as their farm team and if Sac will sign a lot of Northern Cal based players? I'd think playing in an actually full USL season set up , it would be a lot better than playing in a 10 game only MLS reserve league

Sactown Soccer repped this.