Sacramento is in USL Pro

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by CShine, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sac- City! Nice ring to it! ;)

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More information about the USL/MLS affiliation:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/24/mls-exec-usl-pro-partnership-can-change-soccer-us

Just to clarify the option available to MLS sides:

...league owners voted in November to give MLS clubs three options for reserve player development moving forward: 1) create an affiliation with an existing USL Pro team; 2) join the USL Pro with a standalone team; or 3) continue to participate in the MLS Reserve League while integrating matches against USL Pro teams.

also:

It was also confirmed on Thursday that Chivas USA will be the only MLS club that will not have a USL affiliate partnership or play matches against USL opposition in 2013. Durbin expects the Goats to be involved in upcoming seasons.

I wonder why the goats don't want to at least participate in option #3 above? They have a reserve league team.

I sure hope to see the 'Quakes reserves at Hughes stadium this season or next.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no name for the Sacramento side, right?

I worry about playing in Sacto in the heat of the summer, but I suppose that night games would help with that.

Here's hoping for success.

- Mark

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the GoatShaggers suck!

I suspect that they either are focused on their Mexico connections right now, or they are in such a state of transition that they just couldn't get this bit together. It might also be that they want their reserves to play against teams in Mexico. They seem to really be going back to that path. I don't think it will work out for them.

Quakes reserves won't play at Hughes this summer, but maybe next. I've got friends in Elk Grove. Maybe I can get down to Sacto for a match or two?

- Mark

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO, USLPro has a draft.
    There's a combine. And then the teams get to draft players from the combine. (At least, I think that's right.) They sign a lot of MLS rejects and some guys out of college. So after the MLS draft, some of the guys that didn't get picked get signed by USLPro clubs. (Or by NASL clubs.)

It's all kind of murky.

- Mark

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if every USLPro team is contractually obligated to say stuff like this just to piss off NASL?

"the two best organized and successful outdoor soccer leagues in the U.S." What a load. I want for USLPro to be more successful, but their track record sucks. Hopefully, some new owners (el-lay, Sacramento, Phoenix) and their new association with MLS can force them into becoming a more structured, rigorous league. We can only hope.

- Mark

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Option 3 is probably not an option since all 13 USL Pro teams have been paired up with an MLS team:

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I understand, if Antigua is matched up with both SJ & Dallas why the goats can't share with another mls side, as well.

9. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Antigua is a special case in that the team is playing all road games this year, including at San Jose and at FC Dallas. All other USL Pro teams are playing home and away games against a single MLS team.

Chivas USA not participating this year does not seem that big a deal to me. San Jose and FCD are each only getting one extra reserve game against a USL Pro team (i.e. Antigua).

Next year will be the more interesting case when hopefully there is more integration, with MLS reserve teams teams perhaps playing a full season in USL Pro. We shall see...

mangerson repped this.
  10. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    For team name, I'd go with either of these three:

Sac City - just has a nice ring to it/used commonly as a term already

Real Sacramento - like someone mentioned previously, it ties in with the Kings/also just a good name for a football club

Sacrament Untied - another option as it's common for a football club to have the name United

QuietType repped this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    What's an Untied Sacrament?

o_O

12. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Meant Sacramento lol :D

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Sacramento is Spanish for Sacrament, anyways. ;)

I hope it's nothing like "Real" or "United" or any of those Euro-imitation tags.

While we're at it, I'd much rather prefer SC to FC. We play soccer in the United SOCCER League.

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops, can't edit it now, but yes, I realize I left the "s" off.

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guamster, buddy, you have it wrong. Only four USLPro teams are going the affiliate route. The rest of the USLPro teams will play a home and home series (or two) with an MLS Reserve side. Only the GoatBangers have opted not to play a USLPro side. Not sure why they are doing that. But right now, only these pairings are going forward.

Rochester - New England CounterRevs
    City Islanders - Philly Onions
    Richmond Kickers - DCUntied
    Orlando - KC Sporks

So we'll see how this year goes. My guess is that we'll see more affiliates going forward. If Phoenix FC are half as well run and they boast, they'll probably affiliate with the SaltLickers, or the Crapids. SJ are no doubt waiting on Sacratomato. We'll see. Should be fun. Should also be a boon to USLPro.

- Mark

16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Sacramento won't be drafting any players this year, right? They'll be signing players next season, maybe at the end of this season, when some guys will be out of contract. There are plenty of good local soccer programs in California too, so Sacramento ought to be able to find some players to fill out their squad. Hope it works out for them.

- Mark

19. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    As to the comments about the name and colors, based on the emails I have had with the Sacramento ownership group, Twitter, and Facebook, they will be having a "Name the Team" contest this next year. I would assume the team colors will be based on the results of the contest.

They also mentioned they were going to be working with the local youth leagues on having clinics and other functions. I am on the Board for my daughter's league.

mangerson repped this.
  20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I'm just acclimating myself (and others) with how USL does things.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Youth as in high school/college soccer players? Or more like people in their mid-20s semi-pros?

22. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    USLPro-Sac just tweeted a story that included this line:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/25/usl-pro-ties-could-lead-next-expansion-cities-mls

23. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I was going t add to my last post... It looks like Sacramento meets all of the requirements for the USL and USL-Pro is seen as one way to get an MLS team into a market.

Basically, use a USL team to prove that the market is mature enough to support an MLS team by starting simple and building a customer base that can be moved over to MLS if it make economic sense. After all, sports is a business... as proven by the actions of the Maloofs and their desire to make money at all costs and that everything is for sale, given the correct price..

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this bit:

Now the Sacratomato owners are proven minor league team owners, in the market in question. So clearly, they know what they are doing, they have the money and presumably the commitment to see it through. Hughes Stadium is a good short-term solution, but they'll need a better stadium long-term. So, can Sacramento support a USLPro team? I think so. It's a fair sized market, and there are a fair number of people who are into soccer.

But teams like The Blues, The Dutch Lions, and the Eagles seem a little more dicey. I know the Eagles have been around forever, but their attendance is crap and they don't seem to care. I think that USL needs to add a minimum attendance goal for each team, and less than 1,000 doesn't cut it.

- Mark

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpies are common in Sacramento. They are really cool birds, and they'd give you a color scheme out of the box.
    [​IMG]

- Mark