Sacramento is in USL Pro

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by CShine, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Member

Jan 30, 2004
    NorCal
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I was talking to a friend a couple weeks ago about the Elk Grove group, and he seemed to think it was going nowhere. Don't know why, probably just baseless speculation. But that would be great to get an MLS team here ( and I agree that would kill off a USL team in 3.2 seconds.) Hell, I'd even cheer for the goats!

Robdog repped this.
  2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An MLS team in Elk Grove would be a horrible mistake, and ironically kill itself off with Sacramento's USL team.

3. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Well where can we have a legit stadium? If one can be built in Elk Grove for the Goats, then I would be all for it. It could work in part of the Large Latino communities in the Central Valley. Also we would have an instance rivalry w/ the 'quakes. It would be all good.

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So what imagery do you like for a team? Crossed pickaxes? Acorns or something else representing oak trees? Rivers? Government?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A tomato truck spilling part of its load on the street. :D

[​IMG]

7. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    River bears ?

8. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Kings are definitely moving out. I don't know what that means for soccer in Sacramento.. but it might mean something. Or nothing.

I know it means the Sounders will have real competition now in the spring and fall. They should move to Sacramento.

9. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    What about the "Hawks", as in a red-tailed hawk. They are native to the area, present a good image, and is easy to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and those tomatoes, they were likely found in on one of the roads in a town near Sacramento, not in Sacramento.

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything along the lines of City of Trees, gold, rivers.. Hawks? Meh.. There are a plethora of hawks throughout any and every sport. I'd like something a little more unique to represent our city/area.

If the NBA leaves will it help of hurt the soccer club? Theoretically, yes, because there will be a ton of people here craving sports and that much more disposable income lying around, more room in the local media for coverage. But we also need to account for the negative impacts of the Kings leaving - hundreds/thousands of jobs gone, the ripple effect, loss of revenue into the city coffers. May not be a good thing in the mid to long term, but for the short term, probably helps.

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there you have it. Team colors: Tomato red and asphalt gray.

I want to know how a D.C. United fan knows about this distinctly central valley phenomenon.

12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on all counts. As far as fan support, there is not a lot of overlap between the Kings season and the USL season, which seems to run parallel to MLS and baseball. Last season, USL finished by early September. The River Cats, being more affordable and therefore a family friendly environment, still offers sports-entertainment competition.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm a North Bay native, and I've lived all around California -- the Bay Area, LA, the Sierras. I actually have family in Davis and know the town very well. I'm down in Sacramento all the time. (Which is also why I might end up at some of this team's games.) As for United, well I didn't spend my entire life in California. For some years, right when MLS began, United really was my local team. I explained my continuing support here.

14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in suburban Maryland in the mid-to-late 90's, before I was much of a soccer fan, and D.C. United seemed to be the MLS standard-bearer in those years. At least that's how it seemed to me at the time. After the 'quakes, I have a soft spot for D.C. Hope they get their own stadium soon.

15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we'll be a Toronto FC affiliate? :D

16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the direction Toronto FC is headed, maybe they'll be our affiliate!

17. Rob31Hart

Rob31Hart New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Spartak Moscow play on an artificial turf and it's one of the nicest pitches in Europe...

18. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully the team will have a strong marketing program, that is the only way to draw fans to watch it.

QuietType repped this.
  19. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I am hoping to see some action by the team. In the next month, just to keep their product fresh people's minds.

20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard anything. Nothing new on their page, nothing via their email newsletter, nothing in the media, nothing on Facebook/twitter(though they post random soccer stuff every now and then).

I'm really worried they will not solicit input from the public in the early stages, and rather suddenly come out in a couple of months saying "hi everyone, here are our colors, team name, players, coach, and the extent of our plans/marketing. Enjoy!" Without doing focus groups or getting input from fans.

The impression that I get is the PR firm they've hired are either not putting enough time and effort into the campaign, or are ameteur. The ownership group are baseball people, and I don't even know if these are things these guys are thinking about. I just want to hear something, anything...

mangerson repped this.
  21. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've at least posted a link to this thread on their Facebook page. The link they posted is not active but if you copy and paste it into the browser it works. I reposted the full link as a comment on their Facebook page. Hopefully, that will help the conversation and keep people interested.

But, face it, any news surrounding the Kings move to Seattle or building a new arena at Downtown Plaza will drown out any soccer news in the local media, so perhaps we should just be patient. Although I agree with everything you're saying.

QuietType repped this.
  22. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the crossed pick axes idea. It encourages imagery of determination and hard work. I'm drawing a blank on how to pull in the river theme, other than using an "S" in the form of a meandering river.

The capital dome could be used. Perhaps the shape of the team's crest could be that of the capital dome. It would distinguish our crest from Sacramento Gold FC, which already uses the dome at the top of their crest:

[​IMG]

techguy9707 and QuietType repped this.
  23. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    #SacProSoccer tweeted a link to this thread. Looks like we are starting to get some traction for this team. I know it's a year or more before we see our team on the pitch but I would love to see soccer being played by some of the USL pro teams. Maybe we could see PDL Sacramento Gold FC vs a USL Pro team in a friendly.

mangerson repped this.
  24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a out of left field idea for this group? The partner with Eric Wynalda and his Cal FC. He becomes their technical director and head coach and puts together the team. My money is that he could put a winning team on the field and with using mostly if not all Cal players. These are mostly baseball guys that own the team. They can concentrate on the off the field stuff and they get a completed on field organization with great credentials. It's a great idea, so of course will never happen. LOL

25. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is great idea....until Wynalda start expresing himself ! :D