Sacramento is in USL Pro

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by CShine, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType repped this.
  2. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    damn i used to live five minutes from Hughes. born too soon. i did get to see the Sacramento Surge play tho...

3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AWESOME!! When do we get our own forum?

:geek:

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that you need to get at least 10 folks to request that the mods add it...or it goes something like that anyways...

mangerson repped this.
  5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mangerson repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So after looking it up it doesn't seem like Sacramento is steeped in good former sports names so are there any favorites for the name the team vote? Colors you would like, are there many people from Sacramento on Big Soccer?

8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the name Sacramento Gold - which is currently our NPSL team. Not sure if they could steal the name or use it as well. Colors are nice. The Gold name works on many levels, specifically that if it weren't for gold, Sacramento wouldn't be what it is today. Also because of the Golden State, gold being valuable and "first place." That's my vote.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  9. Blaugrana stunna

Blaugrana stunna New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is going to be huge for SACTO! I wonder what EPL team Smith was hoping for in the interview with sacpress when asked about international friendlies in 2013? If unrealistic, a huge club from Mexico or South America would be good too because of the large hispanic population.

10. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I love the idea of a Sac team but I can tell you NO EPL or MLS team will ever play a friendly on their plastic pitch, EVER!

bullsear repped this.
  11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Sac State back in the late 90's. Back then, we had the famously bad Geckos. I actually thought the team name was OK, but a bit irrelevant. I never saw too many lizards around the capital city. Sacramento Gold is OK. But I'd prefer either a plural name or a "FC" type name.

As far as colors, I do like gold, as long as it's of the Vegas variety. I don't like darker shades. In fact, vegas gold and a silvery gray might be good.

What companies are based in and around Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto (the cities in the TV market)? I like seeing mockups with potential sponsors (I have no clue how to do mockups, otherwise I would).

12. Blaugrana stunna

Blaugrana stunna New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are 4 MLS trams that play on turf, including Seattle and Portland (just sayin')

What would be a good int club to come to Sac, if not from the EPL?

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    over the last couple years, a few championship and BPL teams with less prestige have played friendlies out west. I know Venture has had a couple friendlies and a partnering with them to coordinate friendlies would be good idea.

This works well for the visiting team as they want a couple matches in a a two or three week window.

Here in Charleston we have had Sunderland, Bolton, Portsmouth, and were supposed to have Nottingham Forest before they were sold and their new owner pulled the plug on the preseason tour.

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, Sacramento!

15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking of our immigrant/foreign resident population in the region, a Mexican team would get a draw of course, but would be neat to see a Russian/Eastern European or an Indian club come here. Likewise, a Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese club. I've ran into a number of English and Australian lads around here. There are too many target audiences..

The Earthquakes and Chivas USA played a friendly here a couple of years ago that drew 7,000+. I'd like to think a visiting club and our home team could draw even more.

16. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    And those MLS teams all train on real grass at their practice facilities. Seattle (Sigi) has been pushing real grass for their stadia for years now. Will not happen for a meaningless match.

Will have to look for teams that are not in big leagues (Denmark, Sweden, etc.) to play on plastic. They will most likely have to play at the baseball stadia to make it work in their favor.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Portland and shittle have plastic pitches now. So does, or did, Toronto (have they changed over to grass yet?). Don't Wankouver play on plastic? There's another team or two who do also.

Mind you, I think that the BogusTurf(tm) pitches suck like a Dyson, but some MLS teams play on that crap now. So you have to think that MLS teams are willing to play in what amounts to a giant cat box. EPL teams maybe not. MFL teams, I'm not sure. Haven't at least a couple of them played a friendly or two on the plastic carpets?

And it's too bad they put BogusTurf(tm) in a Hughes Stadium. It used to be grass, which is just so much better. <sigh>

But I'm willing to bet that Sacramento can attract some MLS sides for friendlies, Portland and San Jose are likely candidates.

And good luck to Sacramento!

- Mark

QuietType repped this.
  19. Mach_1

Mach_1 New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go for that ... although I suspect that many others wouldn't.

20. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Solons.. We shouldn't be taking names from prior baseball teams, but that's just me.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fake turf is really unfortunate, what bad timing.

Let's remember that the exhibitions don't necessarily have to be played at Hughes. The ownership will likely have games at Raley Field since they've had soccer there in the past and they are the same ownership as the Rivercats. Playing games at Sac State is also an option.

I hope the real goal is to have their own stadium, built downtown. Playing on plastic at a community college is not the best nor a long term solution...

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Representatives?
    Assembly? (I hate singular terms.)
    Solons is actually cool.

What animals or birds are common to Sacramento? Herons? Cougars? Bears is done to death, but not in soccer. How about "Corrupt Politicians!" That's a scary name! <I joke.>

Also, it's not really my business what they call themselves, as I'll be rooting for Sacramento from afar (mostly).

Oooo! They could call their team the Elks, just to twist Elk Grove! That would be nasty.

Maybe something with a magpie?

I'm looking forward to this.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is D3 we're talking about. Playing a high school could be a long-term solution. I don't see it as a problem to share a stadium with a college soccer program. The big drawback and Hughes is the track. Sac City has a good track program, so they aren't going to get rid of the track. Do they have a separate soccer facility? Even if it's just an open field now, the Sacks (Sac FC) could maybe come up with some cash to put seats around it and make that a proper soccer stadium.

Build their own stadium? On a D3 budget? Someone would need very deep pockets and a lot of commitment. Good luck!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

24. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I'm from Sacramento and I am THRILLED to hear this. Finally getting our own soccer team is awesome. Hopefully, sometime, they'll get considered to become and MLS expansion team.

QuietType repped this.
  25. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Same as N.O.'s basketball team becoming the Pelicans. :(