S.L. Benfica vs. C.F. Chelsea: Champions League - Quarterfinals 3/27/12 and 4/4/12 [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have no problem with benfica fielding an entire squad comprised of foreign born players. However, I expect them to play well and win some trophies. Let's see how the season ends. If we fail to win the liga, we should focus on a new direction. I'm thinking new coaching and we might as well grab a few Portuguese players from the liga that have potential. I would rather lose with a hard fighting Portuguese side. Of course, most of us will always complain because we are Portuguese and expect better....

2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ramires: " we knew we had to exploit the left side".

If JJ had common sense, he'd plug the left back position with Capdevila in the 2nd leg.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    4 clubs played today (APOEL, Real Madrid, Benfica and Chelsea)

3/4 featured Portuguese players in the starting XI

only one who didnt was the red-clad team based in Lisboa, Portugal.

4. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Haha, its hilarious how nearly every one of your posts are merely to get a rise out of other people. You're like a drunk girl at college party being purposely really loud and/or flashing some skin to get attention. THAT's pathetic.

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who cares? Our NT started doing much better after the Bosman ruling, did it not?

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yeah i guess but still would be nice if benfica had more portuguese players alongside the other 3 teams yesterday

regardless having so many portuguese players in the last 8 of the champions league proves that Portuguese players are quality

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    True but it also shows that young Portuguese players are also in a hurry to leave our league as soon as they can $$$$$$

8. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's the thing, all season it seems like 99% of Benfica fans have been wondering why in the world is Emerson starting. Only JJ seems to know. Emerson will take what should be a simple play or pass and complicates it. He's also not very fast. I believe Emerson is suspended for the Braga game, so if Capdevila has a solid game, I want to see how JJ justifies starting Emerson in the 2nd leg.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It's a catch 22. Cadevilla is a great player but SLOW

10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    And Emerson is fast ? Honestly, Im not sure why JJ even has Emerson go up the field. He cant even pass the dame ball, too slow to get back when he turns the ball over...... The kid simply can not play the position at this level. Everyone that plays us knows.

11. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    dude..you couldn't have said this any more correctly...this guy's a douche...plain and simple.

12. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agreed...but LB/LWBs are not a hot commodity right now...God knows we are looking for one too...in fact, for a time we were linked to your own Capedevila only, he's much too old...we, like you, need someone strong at the back and fast on his feet to burn the left flank...we have that on our right with Maggio (though he's getting up there in age as well) and you guys have I think Rodriguez???...not sure...you can correct me...

I think both our clubs were looking at Domenico Criscito, a Neapolitan LB/LWB who plays in Zenit right now...he's very $$$$$ though...in this role right now, we Dossena who I hope to God we get rid of ASAP but even he would be an improvement I feel over Emerson for you guys...

13. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    In December we were looking at a loan agreement with AC Milan for their African LB. Sorry can not remember his name right now. JJ decided we were ok and said no. I think he ended up going to some EPL team on loan. :(

14. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, you are talking about Taiwo...he's a good LB...not sure if he is the answer since even Milan let him go on loan but that's probably because they had Antonini who can play both sides LB/RB and CB if needed...supposed to have a promising future though...

you guys, like us, need an EXPERIENCED, HARD CORE LB (but a few years under 30--Taiwo is about 25 or 26--good age but little if any serious experience) and you need him now...you plug up that hole and even JJ can't fark up the lineup enough to lose...

15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gutted about the result. Just have to win in London. A one goal win means Benfica progesses (the game cannot end 1-0 Benfica, so obviously any other result), lets see what they're made of

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not necessarily...but it's still possible.

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, game can't end one nothing, any other win and Benfica goes on aways.

18. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    0-1 win for benfica = extra time and if score still the same then its pens
    0-2 win for benfica = benfica in the next round
    1-2 win for benfica = benfica win on away goals rule

JJ and his team just have to take their fingers out of their arses and play football to win

19. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Emerson was going to quit football if it wasn't for Benfica signing him. I mean this in the nicest way, even though there is no nice way to say it but I wish he did quit. He doesn't belong in the pedigree of soccer. What Benfica/JJ saw in this guy to sign him I'll never know...JJ is in denial about this guy. He's said several times this season that he has complete confidence in Emerson. How much worse does Emerson have to play to finally take him out the game? He's not even a reliable sub, never mind a starter. Seriously, how blind and stubborn can you be?

I know Capdevila is old (34) but there's no way he's worse than Emerson. His experience outweighs Emersons youth my miles. He was amongst one of the worlds best LB for a long time.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Emerson is horrible. I don't understand how he start over Capedevilla, whats worse, I don't understand we could go from Coentrao to that....

21. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Emerson sucks, he got toasted multiple times. It was embarrassing. Taking off Aimar was a big mistake and our quality of play dropped afterwards. It's still a winnable draw, but will be very tough. Benfica needs to play near perfect to beat Chelsea...and by watching our last couple of games...thats a lot to ask for. Those 2 PK's that should have been called killed us. Oh well.

22. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently Drogba asked for Witsel's jersey after the game. I would have told him to shove it up his ass after what he did. Guy didn't even ********ing play either.

23. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have confidence in the players to turn around this score. I think they have the hunger and ability to do it. My main concern is JJ. His persistence in starting Emerson (despite him being beat by Ramires easily) and the fact that he has been out coached and outclassed in big games most of the time is worrisome.

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I feel you guys on the Emerson debate, but at this point in the season, he must be the best LB they have, right? As much as I don't care for Jorge Jesus, I don't think he's intentionally playing him there hoping Chelsea attack him. Yes, moves should have been made in Januray or last summer, but thats in the past and Emerson must be the best thing Benfica has at LB, or he wouldn't be playing.

25. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    That might be true, but when Benfica signed Capdevila, JJ made it no secret that he didn't want him. Makes me wonder if Capdevila hasn't had much chance to play due to Emerson being better than him at this point, or JJ holding some sort of grudge.