S.L. Benfica vs. C.F. Chelsea: Champions League - Quarterfinals 3/27/12 and 4/4/12 [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We couldn't beat a Chelsea B team, were not beating a Chelsea A team in London

2. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    A funnier thing is a couple weeks back. Man City Vs. Chelsea. Essien got an accidental hand ball. Man City won 2-1. on his peno

It's more like a B+ or A- team. I think you guys still have a chance. Tactically speaking, EPL's style of football is very predictable.

Manchester United always plays off its wingers... not suprised why they are performing poorly in Europe now these days.

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica played well up until Aimar came off. I don't understand that substitution at all. Unless Aimar was hurt or asked to come off, it's a dumb move by JJ. That said, a tie would have been a fair score. Nothing is lost yet, but Benfica will have to play their best game of the year to advance to the next round now.

4. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looked like this was going to end in a scoreless draw, but Chelsea got one down the right flank. Why am I not surprised. I hope JJ takes Emerson with him when he gets the boot. Chelsea looked like crap, but rested several of their starters, so this turned out great for them. Benfica couldn't even score against that lineup at home. A lot can happen in London, but I think Chelsea can rest some more players and easily hold off this slumping Benfica squad. JJ's had enough time to right the ship, but he's not the right guy....

The next couple of weeks should not only end JJ's tenure with the club, but will most likely end Benfica's hope at winning the Liga or progressing in the CL. I believe they receive Braga and then go to Sporting. The game in London will cement total failure. Those games should be fun to watch.....Oh, I forgot the beer cup. Man, I think we'll lose to Gil Vicente too. Now that would be a wonderful end to the season....

How did you guys feel last year when Porto humiliated us at home in the Taca and Liga??? Wait until the end of this season. It's like your girlfriend just dumped you for the fat retard living down the street.

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the main problem was resorting to crossing into the area over and over again and watching Terry and Luiz gobble them up. They are shaky in set-pieces but in normal crosses without a crowded area they are excellent. They get long balls every week at the EPL, Benfica should have kept the ball on the ground, sit relatively deep and play the ball diagonally between their CBs.

6. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    JJ has to take the blame blues were here for the taking :( gave them to much respect should of gone for the jugular

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I have been accused of being overly harsh on JJ but honestly, does this guy ever learn ???

Emerson sucks and yet he continues to use him. Cant understand JJ. In the January transfer window he had an opportunity to get on loan a LB from AC Milan. JJ decided that he did not need him. He ended up going to some EPL team on loan. Today, Luiz and Terry are doing a great job on clearing our crosses. Does our coach change strategy ? Nope, lets squeeze the square peg into the round hole. We need some creativity so who does JJ take out ? Yep Aimar.

Im sorry, I kind of frustrated at JJ and his lake of foresight and lake of foreskin

8. Cliffzinho1010

Cliffzinho1010 New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ive defended JJ all of his tenure at SLB, but its quite clear, he freaking BLOWS in big games, he becomes way to tactical and analytical. He takes out Aimar?why?! to save him for the next game? hello this game you need 90mins outta of Aimar, ....Garay was sorely missed as well,..... he plays 4x4x2 every game why change now, dont understand....well at least Uefa is happy that and English team is still left thats y there was a no call on Terrys clear penalty....

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You won't hear me say this often, but SLB was robbed. Clear PK in front of 2 officials within 10 feet of each other and they miss Terry's handball. Dodgy calls all game, couple with some great keeping from Cech and Luiz. Very unlucky.

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Agreed. If JJ comes up empty (beer cup doesn't mean much), I think he's gone. He's a good coach and has added stability to the revolving door of coaches at Benfica, but he has come up empty more times then not in decisive games.

11. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So, I guess the question now is this...

When the white handkerchiefs come out, will they be donned as burkas?

I've done enough trash-talking on Jorge Jesus in the past to last me well into next season, so I'll keep it elsewhere. The defense lost the game today. You can try and pin the blame on Jardel but there are not a lot of central defensive combos that would've allowed Kalou to get a touch to the ball, let alone score it.

12. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    sorry to hear about the result boys but its not impossible to still pull this off...a bunch of BS calls against you...missed PK call...which, by the way, the commentators had no problem in saying it was a good decision not to call it because it wasn't intentional...********ing asshole bitches...when they called a PK against us in London, it was right though even though our Dman (Dossena, who I ********ING HATE) wasn't looking at the ball so it was unintentional too...stupid ********ing commentator bullshit...

secondly...that was a ********ing back pass I don't care how you spin it...so another PK missed call for Cech handball...

******** chelsea...i hope they ********ing choke on eachothers' cocks...

13. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm starting to think Brian De Sousa has gone so far into his sock-creation that he deliberately disguised himself as a Napoli fan just waiting for this day to come. :D

I'll put it this way-at the end of any game, there are only 2 types of calls which will ever have an unreversable/unpreventable impact, a penalty called and a red card. If you walk away from a game with a gripe about not earning a penalty, quite frankly, that still means you didn't do enough.

14. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    After today and the fact that JJ blew a 5 point lead in the league grants him worthy of leaving the Club. He for scared and changed the formation and only used a 1 striker system AT HOME when this was the place to get the result.

He proved again today that he has no idea how to adjust the team with proper substitutions and has extremely poor time management skills.

15. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ?
    so wait, so Benfica underperformed this match plus some bad decisions by JJ but because they underperformed, Benfica fans AREN'T allowed to point out that there were 2 penalties NOT called???

I'm an Italian...I follow Serie A...I know Tagliavento (which interestingly enough means "Break Wind" in English translated) quite well...he farks up games all kinds in Serie A...is it any wonder he wouldn't make the calls in this match...when I heard he was reffing, I knew there would be controversy. Now, you COULD argue that Benfica should have done more...you have a point, but it doesn't negate 2 HUGE missed calls...

Also, does this argument suggest that only overly performing clubs/teams will achieve anything? There are teams right now in the final 8 that have underperformed and some that have overperformed and yet both are here....

two Pks not called, is 2 PKS not called...just saying.

16. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My point is this. A penalty is not always a foregone conclusion.

17. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well I guess using that argument neither is a 1-0 lead? How about a 10-0 lead?

are you saying that I'm suggesting that if Benfica scores the 2 PKs that should have been awarded as per the rules of the game, they could have easily walked away with a win here...because I'm not. All I'm pointing out is that there were 2 CLEAR bad calls that could have conditioned the outcome of the game (one of which was duplicated in Chelsea's game vs. Napoli and Chelsea WERE in fact awarded the PK as per the rules of the game)...whether or not Benfica outplayed or were outplayed or could have played better...whatever...in the end, it is two calls that the brit ******** would be ********ing BALLING THEIR EYES OUT if they didn't go their way...

either way, I still think you guys can do what has to be done in London...go in there...balls out....and ********ing score two goals and end it. This madness has to stop.

18. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    JJ pussied out and changed to a more defensive lineup at home. If we played 2 strikers we wouldn't have had to play the cross game to Cardozo.

We better go into London with our usual 4-1-3-2 and attack!

As for the PKs, there was one definite. Terry had his arms to side, as soon as Maxi made contact with the ball to cross it BOTH of Terry's arms lift up making it intentional.

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Clearly a hand ball, whether it's intentional or not... there was another handball in the box missed. How can a ref not see that? Also, Ramires running down the flank that lead to the goal, was out of bounds. You can the ball over the line.

Yup. Benfica got screwed. Chelsea didn't do much, but the refs were fishy washy all game. Btw, Witsel is an impressive player.

20. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  21. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Terry's DEFINITE back pass (while sliding) and Cech handling the ball with his hands was another PK...

22. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    We lost this game for the following reasons: Bad officiating and having f*cking Emerson in the team. Anyone who still backs Jesus after 1) Dropping the lead he had this season 2) The atrocities he performed last season 3) And continuously playing that piece of shit at LB is more likely than not mentally retarded. Not all is lost yet but this could have definitely gone the other way.

And if I have ever have to hear Gary Neville commentate a match again I'll go berserk. What a f*cking idiot.

23. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And here we go with the same old story... You lost because you had poor tactics, poor subs and the defense made a mess of the play that led to their goal.

Yet you keep obsessing about that one call that could have gone the other way.

24. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You know what will make me laugh. Benfica beats Braga and Porto draws. Benfica is back in front again. They throw in the CL towel and focus on grinding out the Liga and win it. So, how will you judge the season? We win the Liga, Beer Cup, and made the quarter finals of the CL. JJ looks good. Looks like a capable manager...........could happen......I doubt it.

25. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As a Portuguese, I'm glad Chelsea won. How the ******** do you play a foreign club that has more players than you from your own country? That's pathetic. (Not to mention, 3rd sub?!)