S.L. Benfica 2013/2014 Season: Signing of the Serbians Era

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Jul 13, 2013.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    They weren't sure if he'd come back after he tried to pull a Bruma but all is well. I doubt they'll get a keeper now.

2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'd love to test Oblak with the first team in a Taça game.

3. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2013/2014 Champions League Draw Group Stage

SL Benfica
    PSG
    Olympiakos
    Anderlecht

Should get out the group at least in 2nd place.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough draw but should advance. Defending French, Belgian and Greek squads.

5. SLB Eagles

SLB Eagles New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Should be an interesting group. It will be tough but we should be able to advance

6. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #181 Benfica4Life, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Avoid teams like ManCity, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Napoli, Juve, Celtic and Galatasaray in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Pots, in my book thats a win. It was inevitable we would get at least 1 really strong team. I like the draw.

Just a reminder, Estadío da Luz hosting the final, Carrega Benfica!

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Anybody got a good link to watch the game?

8. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1-1 tie in Alvalade, I'll take it even though Sporting's goal was clearly offside. Benfica were an absolute nightmare to watch! I mean they could not keep possession for more than 5-10 seconds, horrid passing. Sporting DOMINATED the whole game, they are looking fantastic. They have an entire new squad, yet play like they've been together for years! Sporting's counter attacking scares me, too much speed on that team. Freddy Montero is an amazing player. 5 goals in 3 games and he just started playing on a new team, in a new league, very impressive.

Cortez is by far the worst Benfica player on the entire squad, what a joke! He's Emerson bad. Honestly want Melgarejo back at LB.

Artur is COMPLETELY unstable. No wonder why Benfica is looking for a new GK. Seriously want to give Oblak an opportunity soon.

And we lost Enzo and Salvio to injury as if we weren't already playing bad enough, lose 2 key players to add insult to injury.

How amazing is Markovic? Kid is phenomenal and an absolute starter over Rodrigo and Cardozo. He came on and made an immediate impact on the game. Kid has 2 goals in 2 games AS A SUB! He needs to start.

9. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011

Did we watch the same game because Artur saved SLB's bacon more than once!

Sporting dominated the game, really?

A tie away against Zabordem is very respectable, considering JJ is one hardheaded dick.

portugal#1 repped this.
  10. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Funny you mention that. I was just going to say the same thing a few days ago. Cortez is a joke. I like how he runs down the flank and then fails to cross the ball. He just makes a short pass into a crowded zone. Has anyone seen this guy make a decent cross into the box? Where do they find these bums????

11. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    And to think Cortez was the best LB in the Brasilerao 3 seasons ago...LMAO!! If he was that good he would have been snatched up that season. Ugh...Coentrão days seem forever ago now.

12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    He was absolutely shit the last 2 years in the brasileirao. That's why SPFC booted him out of the squad.

13. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  14. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm sure Benfica's B team LB can't be as bad as Cortez...

15. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, at least we can forget about the liga. Time to focus on Europe. LOL! Porto has a comfortable 5 point lead (on Benfica) and a young ambitious coach who knows the liga. I don't think they'll go undefeated, but the hardest issue for them might be staying focused with the lack of competition. I doubt Sporting will play this hard the entire season and Benfica will get better, but this is a repeat of a few seasons ago when Benfica won like 13 straight and still finished second.

16. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We need to dump and run. New coach and integrate new players. The team hasn't recovered from the end of last season and I don't see the motivation or desire to play hard in these players. We need a new RB and LB on defense. Gaitan and Salvio need to be sold. Both players look decent at times, but fail to produce. Plus, they are not big game players. Put the Serbians in the midfield and Cardozo and Lima upfront.

17. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica spend so much money on buy tons of players, but are scared to dish out money on a decent LB like Siquiera or Ansaldi. Makes no sense since it's our biggest issue.

I completely agree on selling Gaitan, Sulejmani would adequately replace him, but I don't agree on selling Salvio.

We need to continue playing that 4-1-3-2, with Matic at DM, Djuricic at the CAM/10 spot. Lima and Markovic starting strikers.

What we need most is Estoril's coach at the helm! Best coach not in one of the bigs.

18. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Having Maxi and Cortes is going to really, really suck for us. They are awful. Maxi seems like he forgot to play. He has been absolutely crap this season.

Also, the different in talent between Sporting and Benfica was pretty obvious. If Benfica was playing to their potential we would've walked out of there with at least 3 goals.

19. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2 seasons ago, Maxi was listed as the Top 5 RBs in the world by UEFA and had teams like Inter interested in him. Now he's been horrid, losing speed causing him to have to commit wreckless fouls. Use to beat defenders and deliver fantastic crosses, now that's just in the past. Falling off quickly since last season.

20. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I actually thought we would at some point get Coentrao on loan with option to buy. I don't see why LFV didn't really push hard for that. Coentrao doesn't want to be at Madrid, loves Benfica, and wants to play CL football before the WC. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Benfica4Life repped this.
  22. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Considering we concede most goals from the left flank, it's ideal we adequately spend money on quality to shut that gap with a good LB. Coentrao just renewed his contract with Madrid this past week, which makes no sense. Benfica had the chance to sign Buttner from Manchester United this summer and didnt! I've seen this guy play, what a young talent! Monreal would have been a great signing too, but he signed with Arsenal to be a back up LB.

THANK GOD we didn't spend money on Cortez and he's only on loan.

23. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  24. SLB Eagles

SLB Eagles New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Salvio out 6 months? :cry:

Also I'm glad we signed a left back, Cortez for an entire season was a painful thought

25. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal