Ryan Miller @ Halmstads BK (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Jan 6, 2010.

1. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

What might his other options be? What leagues might he be capable of joining?

2. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't think he's going to make any big jump up into much higher ranking leagues, but he would fit well in the norwegian league for example if he wanted to try something new. Just speculation though, I have no idea what his options really are.

3. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    What about MLS? How would he compare to the MLS fullbacks?

4. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't really know MLS well enough to make a comparison.

5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to know anything about MLS. A player in Europe is always better than one in MLS. ;)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I saw Miller play a bit for D.C. United. He certainly seemed good enough to be a squad player in MLS, though perhaps not a day-in, day-out starter in the league at that time. Of course, he has many years more professional experience now.

7. KIAPCoach

KIAPCoach New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing him to an old college teammate of his, I heard he is twice the player of Justin Morrow and Im pretty sure Justin was involved in the all-star game this year!

8. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    It looks like Ryan Miller and his Halmstad will have to settle for third place and a place in the promotion playoffs against the third lowest team in Allsvenskan. This after they have lost a lead with only minutes left to go two games in a row. Todays game was really extreme where Halmstad were up 2-0 in the 87th minute against the worst team in the league only to end up losing 2-3!

I'm not entirely sure exactly how that happened but of course these last two results are not good confidence boosters in preperation for the promotion playoffs. There they will most likely play either GIF Sundsvall or Syrianska, and I think both those teams are definitely beatable for Halmstad from a footballing perspective but they have to be a bit worried about these recent late game collapses...

9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Miller and his Halmstad will play GIF Sundsvall next week in the promotion playoffs. These are two teams of very equal quality so it's really impossible to know how the double meeting will end. Like Halmstad their upcoming opponents have also struggled with form and confidence lately. Sundsvall are also a team who likes to always play an attacking short passing game which might not be the best for such a high pressure situation, and that might work in favour of a more cynical Halmstad. I also think that Halmstad has a sharper finisher in their icelandic forward then GIF Sundsvall who rely more on small volume scoring from a larger number of players.

For Miller personally this was a really good season and he ended up in tied third place of the assist league (a total of six players were tied in that third place but still very impressive for a fullback).

10. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Halmstad are now very close to returning to Allsvenskan after having won the first promotion playoff game 3-0! As you can see in the video Miller assisted on the second goal with a "no look"-pass.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Scandinavia is the place to be. Does anyone have the numbers of how many MNT players or MLS playrrs in general who haved transfered to those 3 leagues from MLS.

12. ajsockrboxr

ajsockrboxr New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A very strong performance today by Halmstad in the first leg of the promotion competition. Helped by some schlocky goalkeeping by Sundsvall on the first goal, but very strong nonetheless. They were vastly the better team today on the pitch. Miller once again was very effective both ways, defending flawlessly and recognizing and executing a nice run to create the second goal. And he was close to an earlier assist on a ball from him that rolled inches past the post. He's been doing it all year.

13. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Halmstad won promotion back to the top league today even though they lost the second goal-filled playoff game 3-4! Miller perhaps didn't have his strongest game defensively today but that doesn't really matter in the end since the club are now back in Allsvenskan. Remains to be seen if Miller stays on for next season or not since his contract ends now.

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  14. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet! He could definitely be an assest to numerous MLS clubs but if I were him I'd explore those 2nd Bundesliga options. Quality league.

Edit: via Google translate:
    http://fotbolltransfers.com/site/news/25691

Sounds like he'd lean more towards Germany than MLS. Although, it does seem like an extension is possible at Halmstad.

16. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It sounds like he will be signing with the Timbers. http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2013/...rs-to-sign-defender-ryan-miller-from-halmstad

He should have a chance to fight for the starting right back position for the Timbers. His main competition will probably be from players like Jack Jewsbury and Sal Zizzo, who are really midfielders but are unlikely to be able to start in the midfield next year due to more talented players being added in those positions.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid pickup for the Timbers. I thought for sure he'd stay in Scandinavia or move to the elsewhere as there was reported interest from a 2nd bundesliga side. Nonetheless, like you said, he'll have an opportunity to not compete but probably earn that RB spot. Good for him. Porter's quitely assembling a nice roster.

18. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Miller confirms that he has signed with Portland Timbers in a message to the Halmstad fans in todays paper:

m vann and Testudo repped this.
  20. ajsockrboxr

ajsockrboxr New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Classy move by the young man to address the fans. Halmstad will miss him--still not clear why they didn't try harder to bring him back. But he will be solid for Portland--great pickup for them!

21. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Looks like this thread is a wrap. Good luck to him in the Rose City.

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  23. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club: