Ryan Miller @ Halmstads BK (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Jan 6, 2010.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFHP0ocQbLo"]YouTube - ‪AIK - Halmstad 2011 Highlights‬‏[/ame]

Miller played the full game again in central defence today as Halmstad continued their journey towards relegation with a 0-4 loss away against AIK. All four goals were scored by former USL/PDL player Teteh Bangura and the reports indicate that the Halmstad defence were awful once again. The one positive thing for the club was that the two teams above them also lost their games this round.

2. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFUgbjV_ts"]‪Halmstad - Elfsborg 2011 Highlights‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Another soulcrushing defeat for Halmstad today as Elfsborg managed to score the game winning goal in the sixth minute of added on time. Miller played the full game again and I thought he looked solid, better then the last couple of times I've seen him this season.

After watching this game though I really think it would take a small miracle for Halmstad to avoid relegation. The team have only managed to collect 7 points in the 17 games played so far, that translates to 0.41 points/game and to make a comparison even the worst Allsvenskan last place finisher of the latest 20 years had an average of 0.50 points/game.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is he playing in central defense again?

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's 1-0 loss was the second straight game Miller was out of the squad, and the third straight that he did not play in. Halmstads are 12 points from safety which is two more points than what they have earned from their first 21 games.

5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Their starting right back is one of the few good players that Halmstad have and pretty much all their central defenders are weak so they were desperate to try anything.

Not only is he left out of the squad, but the player who replaced him is the assistant manager who have been retired from football for over two years :eek: Probably not a highpoint in Millers career, but pretty telling of the state of things in Halmstad. They are almost certain to be relegated now, it will be interesting to see if they start selling off players to save the clubs economy in this window already if they lose another couple of games.

6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miller made his first appearance in almost a month coming on during the 88th minute in a 1-0 win over Trelleborg

7. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    There were rumours last week that Miller was going to return to his previous club, Ljungskile. But like you said he was back in the squad this round for Halmstad which I guess means that he will be staying.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Miller slams the door shut!

How does one say "difference-maker" in Swedish?

9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing 20 minutes as a substitute last Monday in a 2-2 draw with Gefle, Miller returned to the starting lineup today in a 1-0 loss to Kalmar.

10. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I watched the game and I thought Miller had an ok performance. The game overall was very typical for Halmstad this season, in the first 20 minutes they had five good scoring opportunities without getting a goal and then Kalmar score on their first chance after the Halmstad defence left the path wide open for a Kalmar player. Here are the highlights:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnaGnGKQBs"]Kalmar FF - Halmstads BK 2011 Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

This result means that it's almost set in stone that Halmstad will be relegated as they are nine points behind the relegation playoff spot with only five more games to play. Also the two teams above them still have an extra game left to play.

11. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gg0LSJcRN4"]Halmstad - Syrianska 0-1 Goal - YouTube[/ame]

Halmstads well deserved relegation is now a fact after todays 0-1 loss against fellow bottom club Syrianska. As expected this was not a pretty game, neither team showed much quality but Syrianska had slightly more fighting spirit. Halmstad on the other hand just look so very, very empty. Miller didn't have the greatest of first halfs and also provided the header assist to Syrianskas goal (although I don't think he can be blamed for it since it was pretty random). In the second half he was less noticeable. This results ends Halmstads 19 straight seasons in the swedish top tier.

Code:
    Mjällby AIF        27     9     4    14     28-38   31
    IFK Norrköping     26     8     6    12     29-43   30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Syrianska FC       27     8     3    16     27-41   27
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Trelleborgs FF     26     7     3    16     37-57   24
    [B]Halmstads BK       27     3     5    19     23-52   14[/B]

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2011 Swedish Allsvenskan season came to an end today. Halmstads finished the year bottom of the table with 14 points from 30 games. Miller played in 16 games (11 starts) and picked up one yellow card. He also started one and came off the bench in the other of Halmstads's two cup games. I believe he saw most of his time as a center back this year. Halmstads gave up 58 goals which was 2nd worst in the league.

13. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    With their loss in todays final game Halmstad became the worst team to have played in Allsvenskan since the 1989 season. This was the climax of the downward slope that the club has been on for the last three years or so. They have declared their intent to cut their costs by one third for next season so we will see what that will mean for the squad (and Miller who still has one more year to go on his contract).

14. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Time for a preaseason update on Ryan Miller and Halmstad. As you may or may not remember the club had a disastrous season last year and was relegated to Superettan (swedens second division). Miller also had a rough time moving in an out of the starting eleven and spending alot of time in central defence instead of right back. He also received some flack from the fans for his performances.

The current reports out of Halmstad is very different though as the new season approaches. Things have really changed and Miller is instead being praised by the fans for his great form right now at right back, with some people even saying that he's been one of their best players so far this preseason. The club has four straight wins in their most recent games and a total of zero goals conceded in those games. Miller has started eight out of nine preseason games so far. Of course he has already performed very well at this level before when he was with Ljungskile, so things are looking positive for the 2012 season.

Alot of players have left the club during the winter, many of whom where starters, but considering last years result that might not be a negative. The replacements that have been brought in generally seem to be of high second division standards so the team should still be very competitive in Superettan. Here's how the bookmakers currently rank the teams in the league:

Code:
    Trelleborgs FF       1    1    1    1    1
    [B]Halmstads BK         2    2    2    2    2
    [/B]-------------------------------------------
    Assyriska            3    3    3    3    5
    -------------------------------------------
    Hammarby IF          4    4    4    5    3
    Jönköpings Södra     5    5    5    4    6
    Brommapojkarna       6    6    7    8    4
    Landskrona BoIS      7    8    6    6    7
    Öster                9    7    9    7    8
    Ängelholms FF        8    9    8    9    9
    Falkenbergs FF      10   11   10   10   11
    Ljungskile SK       11   10   11   11   10
    Degerfors IF        12   12   12   12   14
    IFK Värnamo         13   13   13   13   12
    IK Brage            14   14   14   14   15
    Varbergs BoIS       15   15   15   15   13
    Umeå FC             16   16   16   16   16

(Bet365, Betsafe, Expekt, Nordicbet and Unibet)

15. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I thought Miller was one of the better Halmstad players today as they lost 0-1 against Hammarby. There were not that many good performances from his teammates to compete with though. He also both got pushed into the advertisment boards which fell over and then got a yellow card for grabbing the opponents crotch in another duel with a Hammarby player.

16. Jersey Fillers

Jersey Fillers New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a total of 13 Americans playing in Sweden divisions 1-4. Anyone know of a good follow in English for Swedish soccer news? or omissions from the below list?

Baggio Husidic - Hammarby IF
    Ryan Miller - Halmstads BK
    Samuel Petrone - Mjanllby AIF
    Billy Schuler - Hammarby IF
    Stefan Jerome - Nykopings BIS
    Matt Pyzdrowski - Angelholms FF
    Brian Edwards - Degerfors IF
    Brian Span - Djurgardens IF
    Jordan Seabrook - Enkopings SK
    Lester Dewee - Angelholms FF
    Paul Torres - Nykopings BIS
    Steffen Vroom - Ljungskile SK
    Patrick Hopkins - Ljungskile SK
    Shaquille Phillips - Nykopings BIS

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the poster 'iamalfred' in this forum

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan Garcia at Bodens
    Patrick Lane at Karlstad

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is my current list, though there are almost certainly others who we haven't found or who are still finalizing deals:

Dewee Lester 1992 Ängelholms FF
    Edwards Brian 1984 Degerfors IF
    Gracia Ryan 1990 Bodens BK
    Hopkins Patrick Ljungskile SK
    Husidic Adis "Baggio" 1987 Hammarby Fotboll
    Jerome Stefan 1992 Nyköpings BIS
    Lane Patrick "Pat" 1988 Karlstad BK
    Miller Ryan 1984 Halmstads BK
    Noble Seth "T.S." 1981 Friska Viljor FC
    Petrone Samuel 1989 Mjällby AIF
    Phillips Shaquille Kyle 1992 Nyköpings BIS
    Pyzdrowski Matt 1986 Ängelholms FF
    Schuler Billy 1990 Hammarby Fotboll
    Seabrook Jordan 1987 Enköpings SK
    Span Brian "Cobi" 1992 Djurgårdens IF
    Stadler Andrew 1988 Sandvikens IF
    Vroom Steffen 1986 Ljungskile SK
    Ward Mackenzie "Mack" 1988 Friska Viljor FC​

There are about another dozen or so guys whose whereabouts I'm trying to pin down.

20. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Jersey Fillers was compiling a list of levels 1-4, I just wanted to mention that Friska Viljor is in the 5th tier of Swedish football to avoid any confusion.

21. Jersey Fillers

Apr 8, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you guys I'll go deeper, is there an 8th level swedish league lol. I added Lane, Gracia, and then Helm(free-agent). They should be up on the site by now.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Jersey Fillers, what are you actually doing with these names? It would take me about 2 seconds to sort my list of current YAs by country and publish that here.

23. Jersey Fillers

Apr 8, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I created a sortable list at http://jerseyfillers.com/?page_id=195

I couldnt find one so I made it.
    Its a bit of work but I like having the reference tool, i think it will help.

This forum is pretty useful as well.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Tim Ritter?

25. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+