'RvP could get his full debut...'

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by rgrayson, Sep 27, 2004.

1. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Hmm that does make sense. Reyes does seem to work some magic out there on the wing ;) Wenger usually knows whats best so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Arsene knows" is a much used and worthy mantra around here. ;)
    I am curious to see if RvP plays well. Reyes, IMO, will play well no matter where he's played....okay maybe not center-back.

5. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    AW has mentioned that he plans to use RvP more centrally than he's been used in the past. Perhaps the writers are thinking about how he was used in Holland.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. I mistakenly thought he had played more centrally for Feyenoord.

7. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw Robin play for Feyenoord, it was usually wide left. I recall reading a few interviews where he noted a preference for the more central role.

8. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    IIRC that's what started the arguments with the manager and earned him his "difficult" reputation.

9. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, yup.

I personally want to see him get a few games in the slot behind Henry - I started watching him whenever I could last season after the transfer rumors started, and he's got quality. Good with his head as well (witness the near header in the Community Shield).

10. gooner_913

gooner_913 New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Wenger said to Arsenal.com last week that Van Persie would be playing in a central role, as that's what he sees as his best position. Wenger also said when Reyes was bought that that's what his future role would be. Has Wenger realized that Reyes' best position is anywhere on the teamsheat?

11. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    I can't wait to see van Persie. I think he'll be a monster. He'll be our version of Alan Smith. Tough, ready to battle and won't quit. For us to be successful we'll need 3 or 4 top class strikers. No way we can compete for CL, PL and domestic cup honors with 2 or 3. That's where van Persie comes in. Reyes, Henry, van Persie and frankly one more, maybe Aliadiere. Bergkamp won't be around in a year or two. We'll need 4 because of injuries as well.

I would actually put van Persie up front with Henry and Reyes on the wing for the Rosenborg game.

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bentley plays just off the main striker and the new guy Lupoli is scoring for fun in the reserves at the moment. That's six!