Post-match: Russia vs. USA: the midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Nov 14, 2012.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Poor reflection on Jozy. But Bradley is certainly coming into his own in the attacking game.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Klinsmann has already explained why he doesn't play Jones there. The matter has been gone over any number of times on BS.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones can make some nice passes from deep for us, but I think he is served better when asked to do less. JK is never going to do this, but I'd move Jones to the 6 (with Williams backing him up) and put another two-way (or even attacking) mid to pair with Mikey. Sacha is a possibility, or even Landon or Clint.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has, and I disagree with his reasoning. I think he's asking Jones to do too much and it is resulting in erratic play. Not out of control, just erratic. Maybe this is still the best option, but I think the US would improve with Jones as the 6.

5. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is incorrect. Just watch it again. Williams clearly was deep for the vast majority of time. Bradley was higher up the pitch along with Jones 80% of the time. Early on there were some moments when Bradley was deeper but it was mostly circumstantial.

WrmBrnr, Mr Martin and Pragidealist repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Generally when Bradley would (frequently) drop deep to collect the ball from the center backs.

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    A more interesting question was what they heck were they once Cam came out?

--------------Aguedelo.............Boyd
    ----Mix---------------------------------------Sacha
    --------------Jones----------------Bradley
    ------------------------------Edu
    ----------Johnson--------------------------Chandler
    ---------------------------Goodson

???
    It looked like some version of the 3 5 2. In that case, the Dmid (Edu) becomes a CB when needed.
    Usually there are two wingbacks (not the CBs) but I couldn't tell who they were. Where they Jones and Sacha or Mix and Sacha? I saw Jones out wide a lot but couldn't tell if that was by position or just the run of play.

Mix, I thought is normally an 8, but I think so are jones, Bradley and Sacha (for club)

I got why they went to a 3 5 2, but I had a hard time figuring out and seeing their roles. Anyone else?
    There ar

8. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes as he often does. It was also part of his responsibility to support attacks and get forward when he could. He did score. Williams was never that high up.

Pragidealist repped this.
  9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    When Russia was countering Williams often had to vacate his spot in front of the backline to slide over and stop the ball, that's his job. What was worrying is that Jones and Bradley were caught out, simultaneously, multiple times. A more talented attacking team would have been able to create higher quality chances than the Russians did. They still were able to get a lot of shots from these unbalanced situations but we were able to keep them from getting any golden chances.

There was one counter in particular where it was Williams and our backline against 3-4 attackers. Johnson slid over to mark the guy on the ball, Williams had to slide over to cover, and Chandler prevented a potential goal by moving far inside and challenging the trailing Russian runner on his first touch.

10. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Does. Not. Matter.

Best Team > Best Players.

11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Organization and movement was poor. There needs to be a understanding of who is doing what. There needs to be a leader. All of these players are talented enough to succeed.

Bradley plays like a general, but does not lead like one.

This was a problem with the whole team too.

exref repped this.
  12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I've said this elsewhere but without the creativity of Dempsey and Donovan from the "wing forward" positions Bradley and Jones are going to be asked to do too much.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    No. Williams played higher up but played a more positional manner like Edu or like Holden's partner Muamba. Bradley played the deep position but played a much more dynamic role popping up all over the field. He did the same against Scotland and Brasil.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The way some posters were building up Russia's fullback attack I was expecting the Marcelo of the Steppes to be terrorizing the US flanks. But really JK could've just gone with a diamond/triangle midfield.
    ---------------------Altidore
    ---------------------------Herc
    ------------Jones----Bradley----Diskerud
    -----------------------Williams

Though obviously he wanted to run the rule over Gatt.

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    That is not at all what I saw and it doesn't fit what they have 1) played most recently for JK and 2) play for their clubs.

Williams was a dmid with Bradley and Jones playing dual 8's in front of him in a 4-3-3

16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He also wants a 4-3-3 which is tactically more flexible.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's what I saw. It's what the formation diagram shows. It's what the heat maps show.

18. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I would have to see the heat map. I don't care what the formation diagram shows.

Otherwise we will have to agree to disagree, which is fine.

19. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Two important numbers in this discussion: 32 and 25

Jones will be 32 at WC14, and Williams will be 25. We need a fit, in form, natural 6 capable of playing multiple games on short rest. Williams is in the driver's seat. Jones is the veteran sub.

This, and Jones's tendency to roam beyond his 6 role when he plays for the US, are leading JK to groom DW for the 6.

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Jones was a little more disciplined, he would be a great 6.

Michael Bradley is still improving a lot each game. It is getting borderline scary how good he is when he gets into the zone. Are we sure he is American?

bornsteinforlife and Pragidealist repped this.
  21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would also add that Sacha looks nothing like the person who was struggling at Chivas. Teams he play for tend do better when he is on the field for some reason. It might be the stache. Hopefully he doesnt shave it like he did with his hair.

22. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Are we sure he's human?

bornsteinforlife repped this.
  23. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please see the linked chalkboard: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-11-14-rus-v-usa/chalkboard

Click on Bradley, Jones, and Williams on the left, then click on Distribution on the right. It is CLEAR that Williams is playing more centrally and deeper, while Bradley and Jones are playing higher up on the left and right, respectively. Jones does have quite a bit of activity on the left wing, but that obviously came late in the game when the base formation changed.

24. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are underrating how well jozy played. he looked much better despite a few hiccups.

there is a difference between being a little tentative and not even showing up.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Disagree. I already looked at the data.