Post-match: Russia vs. USA 11/14 [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so? Is that illegal?

Mestes and wsmaugham repped this.
  2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no reason not to sit Jones for someone like Diskerud - just to see what happens, since we desperately need to be able to create more opportunities. Jones and Bradley are too similar, and Bradley is simpler much better than Jones.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd assumption.

Xenimus repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Also, almost all of the saves that Tim made SHOULD have been made and I'm not going to sit here and go, "well, they would have been goals against other keepers" because at this level that simply isn't true. The number 1 keeper for our country should be making those saves Tim made tonight. Not saying he didn't have a good game, because he did...but the ridiculous hyperbole and overexaggeration by Twellman about how it should have been 4-0 or whatever is convincing quite a few of you.

gsryank, diablodelsol, matt021d and 12 others repped this.
  5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's nice to see a guy like Diskerud step up with a big goal. The more viable attacking options JK thinks we have, the less often we can see the multi-CDM formations trotted out, especially if we're chasing a game.

Michael Bradley, hopefully, will be our captain soon. He's become a far better player than I would have hoped for 4 years ago.

tehlazerviking repped this.
  6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I counted three shots within ten yards that he saved. I don't need Twellman to tell me anything about goalkeeping. Thanks though.

Xenimus repped this.
  7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    can I say to most posters here: SSRIs are widely available. Geez, what a bunch of whiners. We tied a top 10 team on their turf with almost no practice. I watched with non-Americans and everyone thought the USA was the better team. Yes, the defense could have been better but they were also not that bad.

adi21, diablodelsol, Xenimus and 8 others repped this.
  8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Cameron's biggest problem is he'll have one or 2 poor clearances a game. I don't think he played poorly at all. The thing is, Cameron needs somebody more stout in the back with him. For Boca's weaknesses right now, he commands the backline. Cameron individually played well, but somebody (even if it would've been Howard) needs to take control back there.

9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entertaining match. I've often found myself saying that the US played better than the scoreline indicated, but this time I think the reverse is true. The Russians bossed the game, especially in the first half, and dominated us in the midfield and to a large extent with a very solid and well-organized defense.

This doesn't mean, as is often said in situations where overall quality of play does not match the scoreline, that the US didn't deserve the tie. IMO, you deserve any result that is not the product of cheating or ref bad calls. Russia couldn't capitalize on their chances because Howard is a stud. We did better making more of our few chances. These are reflections of merit. But a friendly is less about results than about overall takeaways for future games, and there remains a lot to be concerned about with the US.

For example, the defense is shaky shaky shaky. Let alone the goals the Russians didn't score bc of Howard's excellence, both of the ones we did give up were due to defensive screwups, either Danny Franklin's miskick gifting a breakaway (again--how many times have we given away a breakaway in 2012? I'd wager it's got to be more than any other year, which proves the point about shaky D) or Clarence Goodson basically taking down a Russian player from behind in a way that wasn't even necessary to gift a penalty.

Midfield didn't do a good job of transitioning from defense to offense. This may be because we are featuring three defensively minded midfielders. Michael Bradley, esp in the second half, was an exception to this, and I'd rate him MOTM for that and his being instrumental in both goals (Howard may deserve to share that title). This was an instance of really missing Donovan's presence. Among the many great things he brings to the game is facility with linking defense to offense that our midfield was unimpressive with today.

Forwards were pretty good, considering how little service was provided. I suspect that if Jozy could just get one break and score a damn goal, he'd loosen up and start approaching his awesome form for AZ--nine goals in seven games or something ridiculous. (Btw anyone have a working video of his goal v ADO Den Haag this past weekend? I read about it and it seems awesome but all the vid links I've found are broken.) And nice contributions from Agudelo on the knockdown for Bradley, and Mix on the late goal show us something to be excited about. (Have we ever scored two goals in the same game on volleys from outside the box?)

On balance, can't really complain too much about an exciting 2-2 draw in an obscure Russian town against a Euro side that's been dominant, esp defensively, in WCQ so far. The scoreline is a little flattering but the US deserves credit for showing fight and spirit to the last minute and it's a nice way to finish a year that was, despite all the WCQ drama, overall very successful (away wins at Mex, Italy, away draw at Russia, only two losses all year--overall record 9W-3D-2L, best overall record for any calendar year ever).

HartwickFan, Winoman, dlokteff and 3 others repped this.
  10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short term, Dempsey and Donovan do replace Altidore and Gatt in the XI.

But you have to keep Altidore in the mix and have him compete with Gomez. His youth, his talent, and his success with AZ point to the bigger (possibly much bigger) upside. Right now it's Gomez's spot, but with Altidore competing. Let them battle for it. Competition is good.

11. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No defense is gonna look good when the opponent is repeatedly flying at them with no pressure.

Our defensive midfield was absent all game and we were lucky not to concede more with their unfettered access to the spot in front of the back four.

As bad as Edu is with the ball, he does know how to sit in there and break up plays much better than Williams. This was Williams first chance at the spot against a tough team and he left me wanting.

All that said, I thought Cameron did ok under the circumstances.

12. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Gross. I hope you're watching at home. :)

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Three shots within ten yards that went essentially right to him. That kick save he made actually looked much better than it was only because he put himself out of position by diving inexplicably early before the shot was even taken. The one he tipped over the bar was not a difficult save either. Another one where he got down quickly and saved a ball going to his right was a good save, but not a particularly difficult one for a number 1 keeper on any reasonable top 30 FIFA team.

Also, quit thinking that all of this is directed at you, because it isn't. It is directed at the entrie of the PBP thread, combined with some posts here.

14. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    The central defense issue is a big problem. However, the rest of the team appears to be taking shape. It is nice to have a midfielder like General Bradley. He will have to lead us through the hex.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Good - Bradley as always doing the work at both ends. Chandler looked alright, FJ is such a smooth player, what a pitty we need him at defense. My biggest take out of this game is the YOUNGESTERS, they were involded on both goals. I truly believe this is the way of the future, is not like if the old guard was that good.

The Bad - Jozy had more hustle but we all know his first touch is not that good and it was proven again. The midfield was not in sync, lots of strayed passes. Did Jones played in the first half?

The Ugly - This has to be the worst game as a "6" for Williams, the bonehead play for the first goal, the 70 yard pass back says it all. The central defense, I thought , the foul from Goodman was because of Edu keeped the forward onside and he was just trying to save the play. Nevertheless he will be seen has cause of the problem.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Right. A much better performance than the matches in Genoa and Mexico City as well. Though there was some decent play for short moments in the Italy match, both were primarily bunker and pray unlike today.

We can find better defenders, though Klinsmann screwed up by not calling some in for today.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kudos to Klinsmann. He got all his subs and rotations right, IMO. His best showing so far.

swedust, Xenimus, sXeWesley and 2 others repped this.
  18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    And to think we could have won this match if it were not for a bad pass by Williams and a bad Penalty by Goodson.

(Just looking at the bright side.)

19. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    First, I thought Gatt played pretty well for a first cap to be honest. He looked nervous to being, which was understandable. Then calmed down, was combining pretty well and showed that he can make some good off the ball runs. The next step will be to have the confidence to take people on with the dribble.

Jozy played well as a hold up player in the first half. Not quite as well in the second, but I don't know if I saw him playing as poorly as some others did.

Goodson is crap. I didn't think FJ had his normally spectacular game, but he was not helped much on his side of the field. Gomez hustles, but isn't that great at a winger, if he isn't up top I don't want to see him out wide. He just isn't that effective out there.

Bradley is probably our best player right now. I say that because it's hard to really compare good players who play different positions and I hate saying the BEST. But he is DAMN good.

Russia played well, but we had some good stretches, they just have a very well-organized defense and we are not that good at playing tricky, incisive passes

Xenimus and Pragidealist repped this.
  20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be on the bench, but he simply hasn't shown that he should start.

juniorLA repped this.
  21. Ace08

Ace08 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm going to say it again...

Boggles my mind that some of you keep sticking up for Altidore, and what's worse, actually asking for him to be a first team selection.

I don't care how "hot" he is right now with his club.....that God forsaken abomination of a "first touch" hasn't and I really don't think ever will get better. Plenty of average players, in many different sports, go on runs where they play well only to crash back to earth and revert back to what they really are.

He's not one of the top 3 strikers in the US pool. I say that with absolutely no hesitation. I'd rather invest the game time that's been or will be given to him to someone like Boyd instead.

I really have no clue what some of you see in this guy.

Statman repped this.
  22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the lack of a defensive midfield was pretty shocking, considering that all three of our starting mids had played a lot of minutes as d-mids.

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    We have tended to forget that the U23s were a very dynamic attacking side with major problems on defense.

I always felt that the four players you named plus Adu would eventually make a major contribution in this cycle. I've been puzzled that JK has given more call-ups to to Corona than those five.

As for the defense, I think there are solutions but they come from players outside the U23 team. Omar Gonzalez. Besler. Some of the younger defenders like Brooks and Hedges. I also still haven't given up on Ream. To me all of those guys should be getting PT ahead of guys like Goodson and Orozco.

Part of the problem in this cycle is that JK often tries several wrong options before giving the right guys a look. It has been an agonizingly slow process. Unnecessarily slow due to JK and his assistants having a pretty poor ranking of the talent pool. Hopefully, they will eventually get it right.

24. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game so that's why it may have seen from the T.V 1/4 of the stadium was covered in snow at he end.

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, Michael is playing so solidly in the middle that I think we should see whether he can do the job with one DM behind him and another central mid who brings more to the table creatively than Jones. This seems so simple and obvious.