Post-match: Russia vs. USA 11/14 [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both our goals by the way came from long balls into a target forward who headed down for a shot.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But for who? OK- Landon for Gatt is obvious, but then who do you sit for Dempsey- Jozy or Herc? Jozy's got more upside and can play the hold-up game that Herc can't, but Herc has been scoring goals like mad for us. Do you try Dempsey in the central midfield? But he's better closer to goal. I still don't think we know how the pieces best fit together, and that's a problem since we don't have much time left to figure it out. That qualifier in February is more important that usual- if we get three points there, we take off a lot of pressure from the next three games. If we don't, we may be looking up from a fairly deep (but not insurmountable) hold after 4 matches.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard made 4 or 5 excellent saves that probably would have been goals if we were playing a keeper who is 2nd string for his club like Russia was.

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another takeaway.

I was hoping Gatt was Beasley part deux.

Gatt's touch is way, way too loose for this level. Beasley's was better. And that is a low standard.

And Gatt waits for the ball when he has his back to the goal and loses it. Beasley typically could get the first touch and draw a foul in those situations.

Gatt needs to show something more at a lower level before I want to see him again.

HartwickFan, deuteronomy and juniorLA repped this.
  5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we already knew we needed CB's.

Good to see that the U23's showed well mostly. Gatt, Agudelo, Boyd, and Diskeruud can hold their heads high.

Looks like Altidore is in a funk. I have no idea why Altidore couldn't pull off the layoffs Agudelo and Boyd did. Agudelo showed a great range of passing in particular.

Williams still has much to learn about playing as a solid DM, but I'll take this game as an anomaly.

Bradley is becoming a midfield general.

6. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta give props to Jermaine Jones. Had some struggles early, but the dude was a boss at the end of the game.

HartwickFan, aveslacker, gsryank and 3 others repped this.
  7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy and it's not close.

-------Gomez
    Dempsey------Donovan
    -----Jones---Bradley
    -----------Williams

juniorLA repped this.
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He's not good enough anymore. Geoff is worse, but go back and look at the last qualifiers- Boca isn't good enough anymore. We need to get better than him at CB. Our trouble there isn't just depth, it's also quality at starter. We need Boca to be our depth.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to move on to a different league. He can dominate the Norwegian league because it's extremely weak. Some of the lower teams are near semi pro. Until he takes the next step he won't be able to compete with players like Russia has that are four or five levels above him.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore sucks BAD

11. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was stunned when Diskerud tied it up... Not a great game (what the hell, backs?), but a tie against Russia? I'm not going to complain.

juniorLA repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm not really sure either, simply because every time a news article comes out on Donovan there is a change in status.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Hate to say this, but we need Onyewu instead of Goodson. And Whitbread needs to get his chance on the field for the Nats - unfortunately we don't have any more friendlies to test him in before the Hex.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking at the back up options and thinking a healthy Bocanegra might be our only hope. Basically we are serious trouble anyway, but we desperately need three friendlies in January where we can get Gonzalez, Besler and Okugo some playing time.

CDM76 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    for those who didn't hear, Darke and Twellman said towards the end of the game that Jurgen confirmed Omar would have been on the roster had LA not advanced in the playoffs.

The good thing about the CB depth problem, is there are options waiting in the wings they just have to be given a chance.

Oh and I don't know how I felt about Jones today. I said earlier we looked sloppy with him starting the attack (which we did), but he did look solid in the first half. I guess my feelings towards him would be that he should be a bench player. He doesn't stay at home enough and is too wreckless to be a 6, he's not as good of a passer as Mikey is, and he really doesn't do well starting the attack.

Pragidealist repped this.
  16. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Let the kids play. Mix, Agudelo, Gatt, all pretty impressive.
    Defense was bad but we just don't know how things would have gone if Bocanegra would have stayed healthy.

Xenimus and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gritty fight back. Some good (Bradley, Howard, battling spirit). Some bad (central backs, poor touches, lacking a true creator). None of which are surprises.

It was a useful game to have played.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy crap, do you remember Shea's first cap? Often wingers don't look as skilled as they are during their first cap. Goetze was more ineffective against a Sweden side than Gatt was tonight.

Please, make assumptions after we have seen a player play more than one game at this level.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the only good news is that Omar likely has some experience playing in Central America thanks to the Concacaf champions league but getting your first cap in several years away at Honduras in a qualifier? Ouch

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Anyone saying Geoff wasn't pretty good tonight is off their rocker. Not his fault he gets completely ********ed by Williams' inept passing or the fact that Boca had to come out for Goodson, who was simply awful.

I still think Cameron belongs at CB, but the players around him are making him look bad.

Cameron-Gonzo please.

adi21, Xenimus, wsmaugham and 8 others repped this.
  21. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    1. Michael Bradley is a boss.
    2. I really hope OG/John/Brooks/CB of the week come good.
    3. It's clear Cameron is playing RB at his club.
    4. I think it's safe to say this is the first senior team goal by a BigSoccer member.

gsryank, luftmensch and Bluecat82 repped this.
  22. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu had a really poor game last weekend for Malaga. There was some critical errors being made by him.

Haven't seen Whitbread play for Leicester yet.

23. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Herc's hold up game is miles better than Jozy's.

juniorLA and Real Corona repped this.
  24. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Gatt has been over-hyped on this site so he obviously did not live up to it.

That said, I had low expectations for him due to the reoccurring theme that this site hypes up guys for no reason so he actually looked pretty good to me. :p

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not blameless, and he's not a perfect option, but he's the least of my concern.