Rummenigge: International calendar may have to change

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Paul Calixte, Jan 30, 2013.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Do I need to define potential?

2. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    You forgot roof stadia.

3. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The best way to have a real international calendar: two breaks. So, if you want to go from August to May (middle break: Dec./Jan.), or February to November (middle break: Jun./Jul.), is up to you.

CeltTexan repped this.
  4. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The mid break would be optional for leagues, but clubs should allow players to join the national teams.

5. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    This is relatively new in Soccer history. Until the 80's, it was a top-league in the world; and it was played exactly how it is now.

The gap began in the 90's.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs are required to let players join their National teams for competitive matches (not friendlies necessarily) under FIFA rules.

7. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It is 3 foreigners max, actually. And we have the current world champs (although I do not like Corinthians)...

8. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It is not about the weather. The fall pro sport calendar in the winter is crowded: NFL, NBA, NHL. The spring one has MLB and Lacrosse. It is easier for MLS to compete...

9. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Not the place, but, there are serious people out there that have problems in how trustful those data can be:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/
    http://icecap.us/

etc.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would not be surprised if Brazil climbs back up those ranks in the fairly near future. The European economy is in the crapper in most places, Brazil obviously has both the World Cup and Olympics coming over the next few years, and right now I believe they have the 6th largest GDP in the world and it's still growing rapidly. It's conceivable that Brazil at least slots in behind the big 4 and maybe even does better than that if economic situations continue to shift in its favor.

11. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was talking about the offseason as far as games played. Klinnsman and company are suggesting that we have to play matches 11 months a year. My point is MLS players don't need to play February in Chicago to become better. The NFL proves my point.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They got rid of playoffs in 1991. Coincidence? Hmmm. ;)

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Brazil? Actually, it was in 2003. I could explain, but it would take forever. Almost anyone understands...

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hah, I thought it was 1991. I know at some point in the 90's they had a few times without playoffs. Then again, all the leagues were changing schedules constantly those days.

15. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It depends on what you call "playoffs". Usually, the top-8 would advanced for the postseason (top-4 on 1991, 1995). The few years they did not have a bracket by then (1992, 1993, 1997), usually the Elite-8 was divided in 2 groups of 4 and their winners met at the finals.

Basically, they kept a model from 1991-1992 and 1995-2002: there was a Regular Season with a single round robin (in 1995, with a twist).

16. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its just nice to have someone in Europe suggesting Europe move to an MLS style season for a change, rather than us defending us from FIFA trying to move to a Euro style schedule !! :thumbsup: