Ruckus vs. ILF

Discussion in 'Supporters Group' started by Kickballer, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Didn't know if anyone caught the feud between the two groups on facebook, but it was a doozy. Kay Rawlins even had to step in and say enoughs enough.
    I just don't get why the two don't get along?
    I tried out both groups at the beginning of the season and just didn't feel right.
    So as an outsider looking in at the several b*tch fests....It makes the Orlando supporters look bad.
    To me it looks like the Ruckus starts it by saying "look at us" we're on this or in that photo. Basically bragging how they are better.
    Then the ILF in return starts chants "F' the Ruckus" or "Where's the Ruckus" or calling them c*nts. I have heard this with my own two ears.
    Then the Ruckus calls them out.
    Then the ILF cries foul and so on and so on...

Something has to change. It's become very annoying.

2. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't get it either.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally am rather sick of the ILF's shit. They're the cause of the fracturing in Orlando's supporters in the first place.

4. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    It's comment's like this that result in ILF saying things. It always ends with ILF being "blamed" for situations, and frankly that is what when we join the "debate".

Let's see where this post goes, I'm intrigued!

5. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    This is what I am talking about. Everyone is acting like kids.
    What I get out of these three posts is... deflection to the other side.
    This post will go nowhere if that continues.
    Everyone needs to talk it out (as cheesey as that sounds)
    When ever my brother and I fought when we were little, our Mom made hold hands for what seemed like forever.

6. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm intrigued too teamAOK. What can we do to rectify this situation?
    Kickballer's right. The whole thing is childish.

7. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Very Childish! There is a lack of respect on BOTH sides. I've come to the realization that the two groups will never come together as "one" (at least not anytime soon). But nothing will change as long as either direct shots (ILF) or subliminal shots (Ruckus) are being fired in the other direction.

I believe that once the two can operate independently of each other we will both continue to grow. But I also believe that anything that happens must be organic, not forced. We all need to leave the other alone for now.. In MY opinion.

8. O-twn Beat-dwn

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be awesome if we ever get a stadium if they each one was a side!

9. ccc123

ccc123 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC

Gentlemen, this truly is VERY childish at its core.

That being said, I know I will step on a few toes by saying this on here, but the Ruckus are more at fault for the tension between the two groups.

The Ruckus are a good group of fans that are very well organized and play 'by the rules'. They do not curse, throw streamers, light smoke bombs or throw confetti. The Ruckus displays their enthusiasm by bringing creative props, singing, waving flags and fog machines. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. As a direct consequence the club has featured them more in promotions, they have gotten better publicity by the local media and have attracted a larger following and fan base. Major props to the Ruckus for all of this and their success.

The ILF are too a hardcore group of fans who are led by 20 something’s from all over the world. They might be half the size of the Ruckus but make there presence felt by being loud (like the ruckus), throwing streamers, cursing in many of their chants, they throw confetti, silly string, and have lit the occasional smoke bomb. I too say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Having watched professional soccer in Argentina, Brazil, Honduras, Poland and many MLS venues, there is nothing all that out of the ordinary with what the ILF does. They are hardly a group of ‘hooligans’. The mere suggestion of this is laughable.

They perhaps display their enthusiasm in a much more colorful way then the Ruckus. The ILF has had an undeniable influence to the game day atmosphere of Orlando City and I would say in a positive manner. As the season has gone on, both groups have grown in size.

A very small group of Ruckus members have taken to taking pop shots directed towards the ILF CONSISTANTLY throughout the season on facebook because they throw streamers and curse. The passive aggressiveness displayed by the Ruckus is annoying and idiotic. Just like the Ruckus are passionate about what the fanbase they have cultivated, the ILF are passionate about supporting Orlando City and the supporter group they have formed.

When the ILF is constantly receiving subtle insults online should they just lie receive and accept them as if nothing happened? If they were mature perhaps they would. They sing songs about referees being bastards and about having intercourse with the opposing goalies significant other though. Don't be surprised when a small number of members of the Ruckus show passive aggressiveness over the internet time and time again, a few members of the ILF react in a negative manner in person.

The Ruckus should just focus on the Ruckus and instruct their members online to do the same. Let the ILF do their thing. They are of no consequence to the Ruckus. The Ruckus have the inside track of being the primary supporter group for Orlando City. They are active in the community, seemed to have curried favor with the local media and are well supported by the club. Taking pop shots over and over again against the ILF is beneath them. As we can see with numerous examples in the MLS, fan groups are not mutually exclusive. Why start the the Sean Kelley fanpage and use that as a forum to bash the ILF? THAT IS BEYOND IMMATURE AND CHILDISH. If I were a senior member of The Ruckus, I would find the moderator of that page and have a good chat with him/her.

Cursing and name calling by a small group of ILF online or in person is immature and unnecessary. The passive aggressive nature of a small group of Ruckus members is just as if not more annoying and immature. It needs to stop.

The two groups can exist and support OCSC with minimal interaction. The Ruckus and ILF are very different supporter groups that are quite knowledgeable about the sport (i know members of both groups personally and the soccer IQ of these members is very high). I love the enthusiasm they bring. Both provide a valuable addition to the gameday experience. Let each group, particularly The Ruckus with their online suttle commentary, just focus on themselves and growing their own base. They are both an asset to the club in many ways.

10. chelseafan2424

chelseafan2424 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Well said ccc123!

11. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ccc123's post is an excellent analysis of the situation. It's well written and accurate.

Please don't lable my next few comments as "passive-aggressive". This is a complicated issue and there are "good" things and "bad" things both groups engage in.

The Ruckus does have members that can't seem to resist the urge to take pot shots at the ILF on facebook. I hate it. We have talked about this at meetings and we have asked our members to refrain from these types of posts. Unfortunately, they don't.

Of course, our members who post negatives about the ILF will tell you that hitting opposing players with streamers is unsportsman-like and "low class". They will argue that this kind of behavior tends to give all Orlando City supporters and fans a bad name (and that being their justification for their criticism of the ILF). These Firm detractors will point to the anti-Ruckus chants (described by Kickballer in the opening post of this thread) as evidence of the ILF's crude and inexcusable behavior.

ILF members react strongly to this kind of criticism. They respond with things like, "This is what we do. We are the real supporters. We will do anything to help Orlando City win. Go "F" yourselves!"

And it goes on and on. I think members of both groups need to ask themselves why there are other supporters groups popping up around the stadium. Maybe a little "honest introspection" needs to happen before the the 2012 season begins.

12. ccc123

ccc123 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Papadop, good reply. Ultimately I think we all here see eye to eye.

Streamers are rolls of paper. Nothing more. If the club does not have a problem with it, why should members of The Ruckus? The club has given the ILF the 'wink' and 'nudge' in not so suttle ways that they are happy with the activities they engage in during play.

In life, we should pick our battles. Many times we swallow our own personal opinions and just ignore a situation to avoid conflict. Lord knows we all do just that in our respective professional work envirnments and personal lives.

While i'm sure what you say is true that The Ruckus looks down upon internet 'smack', it's embaressing to The Ruckus for one of their members to open up a fan page dedicated to the team hero in the Cup Finals, only to use that as a forum to bash the ILF. It is just another example of the low brow behavior certain Ruckus members have shown in a passive aggressive manner throughout the season. That is just completely unnecessary. If The Ruckus is already telling their members not to partake in such behavior in their meetings, perhaps this suggestion should be made more forcefully both during meetings and on their support fan page.

I say let the ILF partake in their shinanigans like throwing streamers and yell 'you suck a$$hole' at the goalie. Don't start arguments with the ILF over something so fruivilous.

Again if the club doesn't have a problem with the streamers, neither should The Ruckus.

I genuinuely admire both fan groups. I REALLY mean that. Both have much more positve qualities then negatives.

I think we all agree that this upcoming season, let each club focus on their own agenda and supporting the team. Let the team deal with the ILF and their tomfoolery. I personally think all that they do is in good nature and harmless fun. The minute the club sees differently, i'm sure they will talk to the ILF leadership in person as OCSC has a good relationship with both fan groups.

I think The Ruckus and The ILF have a VERY bright future. The groups are VERY different and will attract different type of people. I doubt they will ever join hands and chant together. That said, both groups can exist with a high level of mutual respect and understanding.

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That assumes the ILF doesn't get into legal trouble first. You might want to read my attempt at a unity thread at The Lions' Den. Somebody hit a berzerk button, and the owner of the Jazzy Dog Cafe ended up spilling their guts.

http://orlandocitylionsden.com/topic/9062997/1/#new

14. teamAOK

teamAOK New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I just read it (did you guys see my shout-out!), and I can say that JDC's is painting himself in a much cleaner light (obviously). But ILF is constantly being painted as villains (sometimes rightfully), but we own up to our deeds and handle things openly-ish.

I have said this to Ruckus members before and I stand by it, you are more likely to see a member of The Firm show some form of support towards the Ruckus than vice-versa. Multiple games have had ILF jump into chants that we share with the Ruckus. Even at the Bolton/Antigua/PRU games have we shown solidarity in situations that had the other team/fans "attacking" member of the Ruckus or OTH. But those go unnoticed by the members.

I'm not going to say we are always in the right, but we are not the root of all evil either. Open dialogue is the first (or second or third) step towards anything.

15. ccc123

ccc123 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    JDC is toxic to 'The Ruckus'.

This guy is a freaking business owner picking fights over the internet. Why post anything about the ILF on the Richmond page when he openly has has animosity towards that fan group. To make matters worse, then he makes threats over private message to some obnoxious ILF member via facebook.

JDC, you are a business owner and an adult. ACT LIKE IT. As 'teamAOK' put it, JDC is painting himself in a much better light then the actual facts of what truly occured.

I am not saying that certain members have not engaged in negative behavior online. They have and it is completely uncalled for and childish. Both sides have engaged in negative behavior and have used social media in irresponsible ways like emotional and immature people tend to do.

As I stated before, JDC should have absolutely no issues with the PAPER streamers as long the club has no problem with them. The minute the club has any major issues with the activities the ILF partakes in, they will address it with Jared and the rest of the ILF leadership. Ruckus should focus on the Ruckus and the ILF should focus on the ILF.
    It seems like we have members of both the ILF and Ruckus who appear to be rational posting on here. Lets arrange a meeting right now among leadership from both groups right now over big soccer. Lets discuss this in person and deal with the issues like the rational adults we all are.

Set the time and place Ruckus. Lets squash this right now with plenty of time remaining for next season.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I don't even like the Jazzy Dog Cafe. I much prefer Frank N Stein's.

17. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything said on this thread. It's an important start.

One problem is The Ruckus has become a pretty large organization. Our match-day consistentcy and organization is the result of various members taking on certain tasks. We always have a tailgate. We always have a march-in. We always have our drums, flags, banners and fog fully maintained and ready to go. There's a plan and time-table published before every match. Our website is always up-to-date and our charities are on-going projects. The individual members responsible for their individual "departments" have all emerged as "leaders". (I am extremely proud of these people, by the way. And, I am forever indebted to them for their loyalty.) These leaders have formed a council and most major decisions are made after discussion within this council.
    Now here's the inside scoop...Some of these people are very "hawkish" about the ILF. Some of these people are more moderate. I think the "hawks" would become moderate if they were to read teamAOK's last post. I think the "hawks" would love to see less tension and more unity in the south end. But the "hawks" are always expecting "the next shoe to drop". And they point this out every time something happens (at the Citrus Bowl or on the team's facebook page).

I think there is a good chance that unity (an agreement that we are all cheering for the same team) will break-out one day. We just need, IMO, two things.
    1.) The Ruckus needs to not worry about what the ILF does (I disagree with the theory that we all look bad when one group throws streamers on the pitch for example).
    2.) The Iron Lion Firm needs to become a little more main-stream. They should be proud of what they've accomplished and confident with their style (they shouldn't get all bent-out-shape because an individual with a Ruckus-themed profile picture knocks their methods of support. Just say "That's your opinion." and move on.).

18. ccc123

ccc123 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    You are a wise poster.

Point 1. Agreed. Actively tell your members to knock off the internet smack and baffoonery. Be more active in letting Ruckus members know that petty attacks on the ILF are uncalled for and frowned upon. Let them know it's not there job to police the ILF or throw in their two cents about what they think about streamers in the name or guise of The Ruckus thru forms of social media. While you certainly can't control every member as large as The Ruckus has gotten, you absolutely can tell certain posters like the individual who started the 'Sean Kelley Fan Club' only to use that as a forum along with JDC to bash to ILF to cut the stupidity and childish attacks. That is offensive on many levels. News flash, Sean Kelley is actually a big fan of the ILF.

Point 2. Quit getting butt hurt over the little things. If the rogue Ruckus members attack the ILF online, don't attack back. Stop being internet thugs tell your members that actions like hinting at a 'fire sale' at JDC place of business is crossing the line no matter how immature he maybe. Understand that while most people may not have problems with streamers or confetti, there will be detractors because of the rowdy nature of your members. Ultimately the Club supports what you do. Don't get your panties in a wad because someone calls you 'classless'. If OCSC support your style and what you do, who gives a sh*t what some facebook troll has to say? Be proud of what you guys have developed and ignore the detractors.

As has been echoed many times, the two groups don't need to 'unite' and sing together. There should however be a high level of mutual respect as both are HUGE assets to the club.

19. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks ccc123 for your kind words. With age comes some wisdom.

I'm in total favor of this forum / thread. Something needs to be done soon.

I did check out the Official Sean Kelley Fan Club facebook page. Unless I missed a series of posts that have since been removed, I saw no anti-ILF content.

I did see the below post (cut and pasted from that page):

Hey supporters don't forget let's always be respectful to any opposing team. Good behaviour is a statement to our league partners, ownership groups and fellow fans.

Now, if anyone in the ILF took that as a knock on the ILF then they've proven one of my points. Our friends in the Firm need not get all upset over facebook comments that may or may not even be directed towards them. Lighten up a little. Not everyone is out to get you.

As far as the page Admin being in the Ruckus- that too is unclear. The Admin often signs his posts with -Hector. We have a Hector. Nice guy. Could only make a couple of games due to his work schedule. Never expressed any hatred for the ILF. Maybe it's him...maybe not. I'll ask the Hector I know the next time I see him. If it is the Hector I know, I assure you, he is no mover and shaker in the Ruckus.

Let's keep the discussion going. It can't get any worse. The situation can only get better.

20. ccc123

ccc123 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Some of the more 'flaming' post have been deleted. Looks like this page has quite a few lurkers.

Regardless, I am glad to see action was taken in taking down certain comments on that page.

The time has come that this petty nonsense is ended on both sides.

21. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed! Even if there is no NASL/USL merger or inter-league play on the horizon, there will be pre-season matches and friendlies negotiated. We are, sooner or later, going to run into the other supporters groups in Florida.

IT IS A FACT. The Supporters Group Culture in Orlando dwarf's those in the other two cities having pro soccer clubs. We (OCSC Supporters Groups) have worked hard and accomplished much more in one year than these other Florida groups have in their two years of existance. These other groups are even in bigger cities. These other groups wax on about their teams' histories and traditions (which is nonsense because they're both new organizations trying to cash-in on old names) yet they struggle to fill their SG ranks (as well as their stadiums).

The reason for all this: Orlando IS a soccer town. Plain and simple. We will be playing in the top flight one day. Never doubt it.
    The question: Will we, the supporters groups, be united when these other groups roll into the Citrus Bowl parking lot? Will The Ruckus and ILF be able to share a bus (or buses) when OCSC plays in west-central or south Florida?

This is what we should be thinking about.

22. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Is anyone among the ILF or Ruckus thinking ahead about the opportunities there may be if the NBA season is cancelled?

To be clear, no reasonable person expects thousands of people coming to OC matches just because there are no Magic games to go to.

But beneath that likelihood could be an opportunity that OC and the SG's ought to consider and think ahead for taking advantage of. Heck, just doing so could raise an eyebrow at MLS HQ, to say nothing of what they might think if OC actually seized an opportunity like this that resulted in a nice bump in season ticket sales, matchday attendance, blah blah blah.

Although it's hard to imagine the NBA, the teams, the cities, and media losing a whole season's worth of revenue, it's still worth it to think ahead a little bit.

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the NBA season is cancelled, then we should absolutely go after Magic fans. Think of it this way: The least expensive Magic season tickets, Promenade IV (upper rows of 200s end areas) are $695 a piece. For that price, you could get four season tickets in the supporters' section AND almost cover a season parking pass. And way too many sections go for a price where a single-game Magic ticket could buy the entire season for Orlando City.

We are definitely the greater value by far. And if the NBA tells the fans to eat dirt, we should welcome them with open arms.

24. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    We should brainstorm what the promo campaign would look like: message, theme, tone, target market(s)/audience(s), media channels, etc.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Magic is out, we need to get games on FS Florida.