Rubio Rubin

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Pl@ymaker, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    None of us have seen enough of him to make any definitive statements, but he's the stud forward at Bradenton right now. He's got a great feel for the game. I mean, this goal's from 2 yards........but it ain't easy.

soccersubjectively and upper_v repped this.
  2. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You are correct, places himself at the right sport. Portugal made sure he stayed away from those poacher spots. He is not as good as he is being depicted here but has got a great attitude which will carry him far. Portugal were more concerned with Flores and Akale than they were of Rubio.

3. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Tha
    Thank you, sounds like McInerney - Magee type of a player.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a Clint Dempsey type player.

I hate comparisons by the way.

5. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I don't. I'm trying to figure out whether all this excitement is about a top prospect or someone with a limited ceiling.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and I'm telling you at 16, it's not worth trying to figure out.

7. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Absolutely disagree regarding attacking players.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then my advice is not to get excited about Rubin.

9. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I think part of the reason why Richards was accepted was because his club (Eastside United) was already associated with the USL Timbers long before the Timbers joined MLS. Gavin Wilkinson was the technical director of Eastside United and many other Timbers players and assistant coaches were part of the coaching staff there. So the Timbers really did develop Richards, though they were not in MLS at the time.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Rubio turns out to be as good as Chicharito. I'm pretty sure Rubio is the kind of player who watches videos over and over again of Chicharito and studies his moves.

11. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I haven't really had a chance to see Rubin play but why the Chicharito comparison ?

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is kind of like a poacher. Chicharito is Rubin's idol and I'm pretty sure he tries to play like him.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's young, nothing is guaranteed. All we can do is hope for the best regarding his development. And a poacher of Chicharito's quality would be a welcomed addition to the US senior team down the road. But we are waaaay waaay too far from making any conclusions about Rubin's career.

14. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I remember reading reports here back in the day from people who saw the 17-year-old Landon Donovan play, and everyone, without exception, said the kid was a special talent -- they said he was playing a different game from everyone else. I think it's certainly possible to spot an exceptional talent at the age of 16.

15. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    And I remember reading reports of a bunch of other 17-year-olds whom everyone were saying are special talents throughout the years. Doesn't mean shit.

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only means shit if he is from Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy,etc.... Right?o_O

17. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, because they have a lot more talented kids in he 15-18 year old range.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rubin were starting and scoring for a club like Indepiendente or Santos then I'd say it'd be time to get yelling, screaming and running in circles with joy.

19. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    There's special talents and there's special talents. I've never read reports of any player like those I read about Donovan. Like I said, people said he was playing a different game. He was named the best player at the U17 World Cup, for crying out loud. You could see at 17 that he was the type of player that comes along once a generation.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a guy just making the bench for a club like that is nothing to be excited about?

Rubio is a new generation of American talent and he has scored goals against many good teams.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow. Aguero and Neymar both displayed elite technical skills at one of the highest levels.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin's style is different from theirs. He may not be this midfield maestro kind of player in the future but he good still turn 0ut to be a clinical striker.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I clearly have only seen Rubio only a few times, but from what I can tell, he seems a lot more of a poacher type like Chicarito, who happens to be the player that he looks up to.

I think people sometimes underrate players like that. You don't have to have the quickness of Messi or the dribbling ability of Ronaldo to be a world class player. Chicarito is a perfect example of that.

Again, I am not saying that Rubio ever reaches that level, but from the U-17 games, he seems a lot more like a poaching forward than a player maker from the midfield, that seems more like the profile of Flores.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'd be glad if he turned out to be as good as Herculez but at a younger age.:thumbsup:

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really about style, it was about talent. You brought up why guys from Argentina, Brazil (not sure about Spain and Italy since those countries hold teenagers back a lot more) get major attention as teenagers. It's because those guys like Aguero or Neymar are really good.