Rubio Rubin

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Pl@ymaker, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We all know that its very unlikely for a 17-18 yr old to join any club of quality and play a first team game within the year. MLS has a strict rule while the other has no rule in fact encourages young players first team minutes when they earn them. Realistically he plays first team football around the same time in both leagues but one has a hard restriction while the other is dictated by talent and need. Like graduating from college and they negatively tell you the job market is tough and you won't get a job within a year or they could tell you encouragingly I don't know when you will get a job but if you work hard and keep positive it could be anytime, then they get hired a yr and a day later. What is better from a recruiting positive encouragement standpoint? If true I know why he left.

2. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Jozy and Juan played relatively regularly. I don't see why Rubin cannot.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And he's still about 16 months away from potentially playing his 1st MLS game (if he does sign), still will grow physically and he already looks like he'll have decent size.

I imagine even if he signed with Portland tomorrow, he'll spend most of 2013 in Bradenton (assuming we qualify for the WC) with some stints in Portland practicing with the 1st team and maybe playing with the reserves.

He's an early '96 like Junior Flores, so he wouldn't have to wait long after the U17 WC to go full time abroad.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. He certainly won't be signed by MLS (if he is) until after the U17 World Cup, which takes place next Oct./Nov.

There's a zero percent chance he plays in MLS during the 2013 season.

The question is whether he's allowed to sign for Portland or go into the draft as a GenAd prior to the 2014 season. That's a long way from now.....................so we don't really need to worry about his size at the moment.

The more likely scenario is that it's a moot point and he signs with a Euro team after the 2013 U17 World Cup.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will portland have a contract on him so they can get a transfer fee?

mls needs transfer money.

he has also looked like such a quality player. I hope he continues to grow.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No. He's not under contract with Portland in any way at the moment.

Just like FC Dallas didn't get a fee for Emerson Hyndman when he went to Fulham.........................

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats sad. sucky! MLS struggles with their youth oh well.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not really sad. Players like Mario Rodriguez, Stevie Rodriguez, and Emerson Hyndman weren't under contract with the league. So MLS didn't get anything. It's just the way the world works. Did McLean Youth Soccer get a transfer fee when Flores signed with Dortmund? Of course not. You can't get a transfer fee for a player when it's not actually a transfer. These players are free agents in every sense of the word. I don't necessarily think of that as a bad thing. It makes them more attractive targets for potential suitors. I'm more interested in assuring that our best players like Rubin get to the best possible training environments...........than the transfer fees.

If FCD sold Kellyn Acosta or the Galaxy sold Jack McBean, the league would get a transfer fee. Those players are under contract.

In Rubin's case, it's unclear to me whether he's ever actually trained with the Timbers themselves.

He was part of a youth team that aligned itself with the Timbers after he went to Bradenton.
    This is why there's this ongoing discussion about whether he's actually eligible for a homegrown contract with them or not.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Transfer money is how a lot of leagues make it happen is all im saying. it is how the brazilian league gets a lot of its money.

10. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Timbers may not get rights to him, but if you google his name is sure looks like they are claiming him. A lot 0f articles on the Timbers site about "Their" former U-16 standout winning young player of the year, and even a page telling Timbers fans to vote for their own player in the Young Player Award. Wonder what that means considering most on here have said he cant technically be a member of the Timbers HGs since his club didnt join the Timbers academy until after he had left to Bradenton.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/blog...ubio-rubin-score-two-and-assist-two-vs-brazil

With Porter coming in I wouldnt mind him joining Portland and playing for Porter. It has to be a draw for Rubin that Porter is there now as well. If Porter is smart he will jump on this kid now before Euro teams come after him, if they arent already.

11. radsoc

radsoc Member

May 24, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I don't know the kids name but the Timbers have already claimed homegrown status on a player that played with their affiliated youth teams before they became an MLS club.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Brent Richards

It's a grey area for them, as you can imagine. What do you do with current NCAA players like Hector Delgado that were at youth clubs in Portland prior to the Timbers existing as an MLS team? When Hector Delgado was there, his youth affiliate wasn't actually associated with the Timbers, but it is now. I believe Delgtado was turned down but Richards was accepted.............and I'm not quite sure I understand the difference.

Personally, I don't think it would be an issue with Rubin. He could go back to the Timbers after Bradenton, complete his term of service in the academy, and be ready to play.

13. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS will figure out a way for Portland to sign him if it makes $ense for MLS.

14. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely correct. There are agents and third party representatives that can demand training compensation for players developed by youth clubs. I don't think this has been explored in the US like it has in South America and Africa yet though.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/17/sport/football/football-facebook-teixeira/index.html

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

But we need to remember that the overwhelming majority of youth players in the United States don't want to sign a contract of any kind with a pro club, because that could destroy their NCAA eligibility. And for the same reason they don't want to sign with an agent or a 3rd party representative like Traffic. And for all but the elite players, NCAA eligibility is an important consideration. So it can't be "explored" in the US to the same degree as it is in Africa or the favelas of Brazil. And the non-MLS youth clubs would love some kind of compensation, but even that's tricky because they're not-for-profits in the eyes of the IRS.

This really isn't an issue for Rubio Rubin. After Bradenton he'll either sign with MLS as a homegrown. (thus MLS will get a transfer fee if he is sold) Or he'll sign in Europe.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be sad for MLS if they had spent a cent developing Rubin (or Hyndman) and he went abroad for nothing, but they didn't.

17. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Sorry for interrupting this always exciting discussion, but is Rubio actually good? Has anybody seen him? All his goals that I've seen are usually scored from 2 yards, he might be a new Chicharito or a youth team poacher. Who is he?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's certainly good for the U-17 level I can say that.

upper_v repped this.
  19. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I understand that, but there were good strikers for this level at any single U-17 team and the only one who came to NT from U-17 team was Jozy who was sitting on the bench.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that should tell you that we really have hardly any idea about what Rubin will become.

21. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I'm not asking about his future, what is he now? It's difficult to say who will be a good forward, pretty easy to say who will not.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused then. Right now he's a very good forward for the U-17 team.

23. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Have you seen him play? I haven't. What kind of forward he is?

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just on a couple times on the computer. He's a smaller skilled forward.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Platini wants to eliminate this. the english FA already severly punishes teams that participate in these things.

QPR almost got cancelled out for their promotion because of working with third party stuff.

its going to die out eventually although brazil is so heavily dependent on it to keep their younger players there. europe wants to kill it.