RSL vs. Toronto FC at the RioT - March 29, 7:30

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 2nd Mouse, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC (2-0-0) will pay a visit to Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah to take on Real Salt Lake (1-2-0) on Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 7:30 pm MDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    Last Match vs. Real Salt Lake
    • June 29, 2013 vs. RSL - TFC 0 RSL 1

I stole most of this from the Toronto board, since they've already got a thread going for this weekend's game. Don't tell 'em.

Not feeling real good about this one. The TFC folks seem pretty reserved and pessimistic about their chances. I would say they're embratsu-ing, but their record so far doesn't exactly suck, so there's not much suck for them to embrace. With our injuries, it seems like a prime opportunity for them to come in and steal a win.

What say?

2. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I was wowed by the LA boards type intro at first but then I saw they used the ReAL logo. :mad:

3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I know TFC is looking better this year, but they've got so much historical suck to embrace it makes Real Salt Lake look like Real Madrid.

Still, since we don't have goal scorers to play this game, I think it ends 1-0 (either team) or 0-0.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has 0-0 written all over it if you ask me.
    Bradley will own our midfield if they play like they did for a majority of the game against LA.

We need to see an offensively inspired midfield. In fact, I would say that our midfield might need a little tweaking. I'm calling for Mulholland to start. Not sure if I would put him over Ned, Gil, or Javi at this point (you keep KB). None of those 3, though, earned their starting spot based on last weeks game.

I also wonder if this is a game where you see a formational change. do we go to a 4-5-1? Double holding mids in Grossman and Kyle? Put Mullholland on the pitch with Gil, Grabs, and Javi?

I dunno, nothing really sounds exciting when I think about how we'll approach this game

5. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Plata tweeted he's out for 3 weeks and I doubt it will happen but we all know LA is calling for Sabo to be suspended, is Benji Lopez available to play with Olmes?

Toronto aka Defoe has had a good start but other than him and Bradley theres still a lot of holes in Torontos system. hopefully we can find them and exploit them this weekend. I just hope Morales is in the zone and works Bradley.

6. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  7. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's never a good idea to guess what the MLS DC is going to do, but I don't think there is enough evidence to suspend Sabo. Maybe there is a difference camera angle that they didn't show us, but for the video I saw it would be hard to judge anything other than a late challenge which he already got a yellow for. I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, just saying it is hard to tell from the evidence.

If he plays I'd like to see us try a 4-5-1 with Ned and KB in front of the back line and Gil and Dutch and the wings and Javi the in middle. If Sabo is suspended then forfeit the game... Not really, I'm just super down on Garcia after Saturday. Maybe try Gil up top with Garcia.

One bright spot from Saturday is that the defense (read Schuler) mostly did really well. Obviously they had some mistakes, but I can't remember too many good chances for LA. I huge improvement from the first to weeks where Rimando had to stand on his head to keep us in it. I think we have a good chance of getting a shut out, if we don't make any stupid mistakes. (Defoe obviously makes you pay if you mess up in the back)

8. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Schuler being back gives us a chance at a point at least. I know that's not what we want to see at a home game, but no one up front is giving me any confidence we're going to score. I'd rather stick to the 4-4-2 if possible, unless we we were to try an "offensive" 4-5-1 ( don't play grossman with beckerman, way too much confusion)

Beckerman
    gravaboy mullholand
    Gil Morales

9. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

4:30 mark. Multiple angles.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple angles, but I didn't see any real contact. Sure you could assume that the Galaxy player falling to the ground was touched by Sabo, but you could also watch the video and assume that Sabo really didn't touch him and that the Galaxy player was "simulating". There wasn't a clip in super-duper slow motion showing what actually happened. How loudly The Bruce screams and stomps his little feet will probably determine whether Sabo is suspended or not.

Watching Javi go cleats up on Donovan (if it had been anyone else, would anyone besides the Galaxy really care?) reminds me of a game where Espindola did the exact same thing and got shown a red card. Why Javi didn't is the enigma of what happens in an MLS referee's mind.

Thanks for showing that RSL should watch out for Jackson. He seems to be Toronto's version of Lenhard.

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Jackson is likely getting suspended for at least one game

12. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    RSLer, Lizzie Bee and Ismitje repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman vs Bradley. Nuff said.

14. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't seen the video from the other angle when I posted. It looks like he comes in late and a little high and catches the foot. Really well sold by Dela Garza. IMO. I hope he doesn't get suspended for it but who can know.

Javi probably should. That was straight up moronic. The USMNT fan in me was glad Donovan saw him coming in and got out of the way...

15. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually only allowed one shot on goal. Too bad it went in.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  16. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other angles don't give any sense that there is more or less to Sabo's foul than was seen by the ref, therefore, I doubt the DISCO gives more penalty. But, Javi might be in for a suspension. I remember at the time wondering how he got away with that one.

JLaw repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the Javi tackle should be the one LA peeps are bitching about. That was a dumb tackle that really could have messed up Donovan.

If Sabo gets suspended it'll prove just how consistent the DisCo is... in that they aren't.

18. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    any video of the javi incident?

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go to 5:30 of the above borg yell video

20. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref saw the play and made the call so not only would an additional suspension show inconsistency but also it will basically be saying "yeah those 'PRO' refs, that we fought so hard to get back, can't get anything right."

21. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    FWIW:
    Real Salt Lake vs. Toronto FC
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9:30 pm ET)
    REFEREE: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Fabio Tovar
    4TH: Drew Fischer

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably be able to watch most of the second half. I have a free day in NYC, but with no Red Bulls game until Sunday, I am catching the train to Philadelphia to watch the Impact and Union play. Couple free hours in Philly besides and I am a happy MLS fan. I'll be even happier if I get back to my hotel in New York and things look good for the home team.

SoccerPrime and RSLer repped this.
  24. Jester4422

Jester4422 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The word on the twitterphere is that Sabo will not be suspended and Jackson will be.

25. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news. Maybe some miracle will happen like a bad back pass and Sabo can get a goal! I think that's our only hope!