RSL vs LA: Western Conference Championship --Sun Nov6--P/I/P

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so excited to talk about this. Big question of who RSL takes on. But also will Olave or/and Borchers be ready?

Go RSL!

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: RSL vs LA/NY: Western Conference Championship P/I/P

Hope we can remove L.A. from the title of thread and play the Western Conference at Rio Tinto. Don't think it will happen but either way we made it past Seattle so all is good.
    Also hope we get our back line back.

3. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One glimmer of hope is the Marquez/Juninho red card situation. That's a war of attrition that was clearly won by NY. LA will be hurt significantly by the loss of Juninho, while I think NY actually gets better without Marquez - that guy is complete ass on and off the field.

4. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia

How horrible is it that I find myself rooting for LA, to guarantee us a CCL chance next year - and the chance to compete against Mexican teams?

I know a NY win gives us another home game and a much easier path to the MLS Cup. But the league "championship" seems kinda empty to me when you can win it by only winning a couple of games. And the fact that the 8th-seed seems to win more often than the top seed doesn't help.

Anyway, I realize I shouldn't even be thinking such thoughts. Anyone else out there doing the same?

5. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Regardless of where we play one of the two HAS to play. Schuler proved he's no good on the right side of the field and Wingert isn't a CB. Add that to the fact that our team feels the need to boot the ball down the field if they're both out. Not to mention either Henry/Keene will need to be marked closely all match long.

Good news is that it'll be played on real grass either way and I'm confidant that at least one will be good to go.

6. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

Yeah - it could have been JK giving them both more time to get healthly rather than risking either since they had a 3 goal lead.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Know what I'm cheering for in the LA/NY game - a shit load of cards. Hopefully some key ejections. And some injuries. And for the game to go into OT - possibly even pk's

******** it. I don't care how healthy the team is that we play. it's the playoffs. winning against their "best" team or their "second" team or whatever shouldn't matter.

Hilario Grajeda will be the ref in the NY/LA game tonight.
    Go to the book early and often my friend.

For NY: Henry and Ream are on a yellow card. It would be massive for us if NY won the series yet both of them got booked in the process.

For LA: Sean Franklin is the only player on a yellow card. Losing him would be a hit, but not overly bad for LA.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Question: Are cards cleaned off the table now? Meaning that the only way someone could miss the MLS Cup is that they got a red card suspension in the WCF? It should be, but I have my doubts...

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd have to dig through twitter, but I thought I saw mention that cards were wiped clean after this round. So only a red in some fasion would cause you to miss the final.

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home

This is right.

So...hope it's an ejection-fest in Carson tonight. Players, coaches, fans, everybody!

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thank god
    The CCL final was retarded in this regard. At least MLS has something right in this playoff format

12. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lets hope that this game tonight goes 120 mins + a shootout. Lets get these teams as tired as possible.
    Lets also hope that if its NY then they fly back home and then fly back here to Utah.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was going to say that no team would be that stupid to fly that much before such a key game.
    then I realized which team that would be

yeah, very real possibility
    Go NY!
    I want 6 red cards.
    A fight.
    at least 4 stoppages in the game that are longer than 15 minutes so that there is an insane amount of stoppage time.
    OT.
    Penalty kicks to go to kicker number 18.
    The game to end at 3am ET.

Would be wonderful

14. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I agree with you I would want LA to win. That gives us a better chance to get to the CCL. If NY win, It is a must win for RSL to make it to CCL. LA wins we are in with out playing another game. win or lose against LA to make it to the championship I will be happy cause we are in the CCL.

15. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It doesn't matter which team (LA/NY) wins.

I am more concerned about which RSL team shows up. If the team from Saturday plays we will play for the Cup. If the team from last night show up...

16. RSLin2008

RSLin2008 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Utah

I'm torn, but tend to agree, mostly because qualification to the CCL has been the measuring stick for me. Qualify for it and the season is a success. Fail to qualify and it isn't.
    I also dont think home field advantage is all it's cracked up to be in the playoffs when you get a couple good teams together, the series we just finished not withstanding. :)
    On the other hand I understand the desire for another home game along with the extra day recovery for Olave/Borchers.
    Tentatively I'll be hoping for an LA win.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm leaning towards wanting LA. I don't see that 1 extra day rest being a key in getting borlave back, but playing LA after they only get 2 days rest? Sign me up. With only a 1 goal lead, I can see this game being very ugly and draining.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point(s)
    I find it funny that LA, the SS winners and the League's precious little item, has gotten the rather rotten end of the stick in the playoffs.
    1st - they get a bye just to have to fly all the way across the country to play their first game. The second to last game of the first round

2nd - they then have to fly all the way back home and play on 3 days rest against the same team.

3rd - if they somehow survive, they have to play on 2 days rest (the shortest of any team as they are the last game of the day)

Not that I am complaining, but it is rather funny to see LA actually get some bad luck in this wonderful playoff setup Garb and his league has created.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With neither of Borlave even making the 18 in last night's game I'm inclined to believe that neither are close to fitness/health. Which is VERY scary. I'd love to host. I think we have the players to pull it off. but... well, I want to be in CCL next year VERY BADLY

20. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm pulling for la. Especially if borlave aren't healthy. That way even if rsl falls apart they qualified for ccl which imo is much bigger than mls cup.

21. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

High of 38, low of 23 and partly cloudy on Monday if the WCF is played here. That's most likely a freezing to below freezing temperature at kickoff.

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

reasons to want LA to win tonight:
    1. automatic qualification for the CCL
    2. want the best possible matchup between teams, NY is shite and i hate playing those dbags.
    3. playing at the home depot center for the conference finals and if we win thats a big advantage as the MLS Cup is at the home depot center. its nice to get a little experience on a field in a competitive match immediately before a second competitive match.
    4. i would love to beat seattle, LA and then whatever eastern crap team to win the Cup, nobody could EVER claim that we didnt earn it. its a long long shot, but if the team that destroyed seattle on saturday shows up again on sunday/monday and then again in the Cup, i think we take this whole thing.

what i hope for tonight: the man in yellow to be dishing lots and lots of yellows and reds. then for the game to go all the way to pks with both teams finishing 10v10 or worse so they are good and exhausted. if LA wins we get them on 2 days rest, if NY wins then they probably fly back to NY and then back to SLC on 3 days rest. that crazy turnaround is a MASSIVE advantage. commmeee on pks.

23. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing I think MLS got right with this iteration of the playoffs is the rapid turnaround between games. Keeps things from getting dull

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

are you saying those 2 weeks before the superbowl aren't the most awesome thing ever?!
    or that the week that the NCAA BBall tournament suddenly takes in the final 4 isn't wonderful?!

GET OUTTA HERE!

25. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Best post-game interview: Robbie Russell

He's just geeked at the effort and grit, and it comes through in his voice. Give it a listen. Beltran's very articulate too.

I'm enjoying the win more today. They toughed that shit out, kept fighting, kept closing out, kept running.