RSL vs cRapids 4.7.12 6 pm pacific....7 pm that other timezone.

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Apr 4, 2012.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Overall it was a pretty good game especially after the CO decided to start playing for the last 20 minutes or so.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I am not sure that clamoring too loudly for reviews of every play. Why not a post-match suspension to Fabi for an intentional handball that led to a goal? Why not some other things that could impact us, too?

That said, the head shots to Gil are ridiculous. But those I think are different than most events we've mentioned as possible fines/fouls.

3. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you see that handball as intentional? I'm trying really hard not to be a homer on that one and it just doesn't seem intentional to me. It appears to be him trying to move through traffic and his hand catching the ball or the ball catching his hand (however you choose to look at it). Should it have been called? Yes. Is it a "post match fine worthy" foul? No.

On the other hand, a blatant attack on a player who was doing absolutely nothing to provoke it at the time (his retaliation is another thing entirely) seems like something MLS should look in to.

RSL plays a physical game. No one should deny that. We've even had our hair brained moments (kyle's "headbut" from last year). But the TWO attacks on Luis were un-excusable. Things of that nature should be looked at, IMO.

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I have no idea why Fabi would be fined or suspended for the handball. If it was intentional or that matter even visible it should have been called by the line judge or the center ref.

Was it a handball? Yup. Should it have been called? Sure, if they even saw it.

Most importantly should it have even been a goal? NO. Not if Pickens keeps playing instead of waiting to be bailed out and it should have been cleared anyway. It fell right in front of a crapid.

Watching the replay I think Fabi had his arm out to fend off the defender as much as he had it out to play the ball. If the Portland player last week doesn't even get a yellow for dribbling in the box Fabi seeing anything for his play would be interesting to say the least.

I thought Gil and Velasquez did a pretty good job not retaliating for some of the abuse they took during the game. Velasquez especially after the elbow early that didn't include the double face grab and histrionics. He was a stud and took a lot of punishment for making a few players look silly.

5. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think it was intentional, but it gave us one hell of an advantage, and once you go down the path of reviewing everything, there's no shortage of what might be deemed particularly impactful on a game and deserving of suspension.

7. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the line to draw is pretty easy. You look for intent to cheat and/or very dangerous. Now what qualifies under those two parameters may be debatable, but Espy's handball was neither.

8. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to watch it before it was taken down. If those two get away without suspension after Atiba got a retroactive one I'll be a little shocked. But we all know inconsistency is the only thing consistent, so I'm sure nothing will happen.

10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the replay of the Gil, Moor, incident and the funniest part of the replay was the two totally worthless homer's on the colorado feed who both chimed in how it was Gil who initiated the entire incident. Total joke. What set off the play was the foul by Johnson then Gil dribbling the ball in front of Moor who probably felt Gil was showboating at Colorado's expense.
    Mullen took a shot, proving he is truly a worthless piece of shit.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil did nothing other than juggle the ball. Mullan didnt even attempt to grab the ball before flying off the handle. He's a grade A hack.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was a Colorado fan, I might easily see intent in that handball. The positioning of the arm + the advantage it gained = not as cut and dried as it is on the fan of a team's end.

I raised the question not to draw similarities between Espy's handball and the Gil incident, but other plays folks were discussing that should be reviewed. Absolutely the Gil incident is in a class by itself, but beyond that sort of play - we'll suffer more than we;ll benefit from additional scrutiny down the line IMO.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was a Colorado fan, I might easily see intent in that handball. The positioning of the arm + the advantage it gained = not as cut and dried as it is on the fan of a team's end.

I raised the question not to draw similarities between Espy's handball and the Gil incident, but other plays folks were discussing that should be reviewed. Absolutely the Gil incident is in a class by itself, but beyond that sort of play - we'll suffer more than we;ll benefit from additional scrutiny down the line IMO.

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additional scrutiny of this match or others in the future?

Yes we benefited from a non hand ball call on the Espy goal, but scrutiny into the conduct of both teams in this match would result in more discipline and fines being handed out to Colorado than RSL.

15. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After having a long, 1-on-1 conversation with Espy about the play, I am 100% sure it was unintentional. I know that because the first thing he told me is that it was for sure a handball and he can't believe it didn't get called. He has no reason to lie, and the fact that he admitted it was a handball and the goal shouldn't have counted tells me he wasn't lying.

Oh, and if I was a Colorado fan, I'd probably drink a cup of Draino.

16. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Just one cup? :rolleyes:

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he did get off, that's lame. And Mullan's late attempt to trip Gil was just as bad as what Joseph did. He should get suspended too. He's probably lucky Gil is more of a man than Mullan is and didn't make it look that bad by rolling around on the ground for 10 minutes afterwards.

19. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did have obvious red marks on his legs though...after he rubbed them for a few minutes. :rolleyes:

20. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You have to remember that the game that the incident occurred in was last Thursday. The DC may *not* have not reviewed the weekend's games yet.

Personally, I think this whole DC postmatch review is trending to a very bad place (if it isn't there already).

EDIT: Although, I must say, that tackle was horrific and should have garnered a red.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so long as the DC keeps to really bad tackles that were missed and off the ball shit that should get you ejected, I'm fine with it.

I don't think they've taken on anything different this year. So, so far, so good

22. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Seattle-Colorado game, Kimura just went down on a slight push from Eddie Johnson while waiting for a free kick. Seems to be a trending thing for him to go down on the slightest contact.