RSL v Chivas de Estados Unidos. 3/24/12. 7pm. P/I/P

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Beckerman what he would do if Olave showed up at his door with clippers?

2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My question: Is transcendentalism antiquated, or does it in fact have a place in the modern era?
    Thanks

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Javier and Kyle when are they going to bring back the Javi y Kyle show. Miss that so much.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask them, "What is the one thing you wish Jason Kreis would quit talking about." I have no idea if there is something Kreis beats to death, but it might prompt fun responses.

5. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I second this question!

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think out enthusiasm for someone we expected nothing from - and who has played fairly well - obscures how much less he is able to do at this stage than Will Johnson. I don't think there's a chance Sebastian stays in when Will is back.

7. SamsungUnited

SamsungUnited Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree that Tian will probably not stay in when Johnson is back, BUT, I think that it would be awesome to see him, johnson, and grabs rotate possibly between the 3 to keep them all fresh and fighting for the spot.

Honestly, johnson gives the ball away way more and doesn't have near the creativity and ball skills as sebas.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt we see any changes from the lineup we've seen the last two games. We've played well and have been able to get minutes to guys on the road to recovery.

It does make it an interesting question, though, as to what Kreis should do once all these guys are healthy.
    Has Sebastian really been bad enough in the middle to lose his spot to Johnson?
    Has Gil not done enough to start over Javi for awhile?
    Is Paulo and Espy proving to be a better combo than Sabo and Espy?
    Why in the hell would you bench Schuler? The guy made best XI last week and honestly has been nothing but solid for us in his two starts...

Problems Kreis will like to have, but problems nonetheless.

9. HeBeGB

HeBeGB Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Frankly, these are all good problems that need addressing... all of which speak to our depth. Which, IMO, obviates the fact that we need to make a run at all cup competitions this year (including the SS!).

We could be experiencing the other side of the pitch with CD Chivas... they seem to be a sinking ship!

10. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like JPA may be out of the line-up for the Goats on Saturday ...

mlssoccer.com (in Spanish)

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the supporters shield is Kansas City's to lose
    go look at their schedule, it is built for them to win it.

12. Ender16

Ender16 Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with this...I was just talking to my co-worker about it actually.

With the east teams playing the crappy east teams more often and us playing teams like LA, Seattle, Dallas, etc...they have a huge advantage!

That being said...if we somehow pull it out, it would be that much more awesome!

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be incredible, it would also mean KC laid a complete and utter brick.
    look at this schedule:

West Opponents
    Host: FCD, LA, RSL, SJ
    Travel: PDX, VAN, SSFC, CUSA, cRap

East Opponents
    Host 2x's: HOU, CHI, TFC, NER
    Travel 2x's: MON, CLB, NY,
    Home/Away 1x: DCU, PHI,

Whats even more important, though, is that they will have played all of their games against Western Conference teams by June 20 (@ SEA). After that, it's all against Eastern Conference teams.

Unless the East turns things around, KC is going to run away with this thing by late July

14. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it happens. I hope KC wins the Supporters Shield in a runaway...and then gets boat raced by the first Western Conference team they face in the playoffs. Maybe that would show The Don how silly this unbalanced schedule thing is.

15. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no mixing of conferences this year. The first WC team they would face would be in the MLS Cup at Livestrong Park. And I think that would be a tough game for anyone.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is my least favorite part of the unbalanced schedule.
    Not only does KC get an easier route to the SS, but then they get home field advantage because they played better in the unfair setup.

I'm fine with an unbalanced schedule so long as the Cup is at a neutral (or two-leg) location.

This is all a moot point, though, as I guarantee that KC gets knocked out of the playoffs before the Cup because of their youth. A team like Houston, like we saw last year, that has veterans on the squad will always be favored even on the road in my book during the playoffs.

Also, crazy shit happens in the playoffs. Like NY beating Dallas last year. Just weird

17. Ender16

Ender16 Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I hadn't looked at it that close, but they get all the best teams at home as well? That is crazy. I was just thinking about the numbers...

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, the league really ********ed this one big time. an east team is perfectly capable of running rampant through the garbage east and winning the SS which is essentially meaningless....except that the team that wins it gets home field advantage for the playoffs and MLS Cup if they make it. how they could allow this when there is such a disparity between conference is mind boggling. i've come to expect it from garber and his chronies though.

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly why they did this, to do what they could to bring a more balance appearance to the east and west.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Proving I'm from Utah, raised a Jazz fan, and can formulate an incredibly awesome conspiracy theory)

Don: "LA got their MLS Cup. Now I need to find a way to get NY one. How can we do this?"

Assistants: "Well we can go unbalanced. Some people won't like it, but most will at least sympathize when we throw out the travel distance numbers."

Don: "I like it, but how does that get NY the MLS Cup?"

Assistants: "See, this is where we pull a quick one. While everyone focuses on the unbalanced schedule, we reformat the playoffs so that the West has to play itself and the East has to play itself. This was, all New York has to do is win the East. They won't have to play a West team until the final."

Don: "Good, that can get them there. But how do we make sure they win it?"

Assistants: "Easy, we have the team with the better record host the final. After the West kills itself during the season, teams like New York will have a bloated number of wins because they get to play worse teams more often."

Don: "DO IT NOW!"

1 person likes this.
  21. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    From 2005 to 2011 only one Eastern Conference team won the MLS Cup (Columbus).

In fact since 2000, only TWO Eastern teams have won the Cup. Not hard to see why the changed things up.

22. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love it! :D

23. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the part where they don't mix east and west teams in the playoffs, thereby ensuring that the eastern champion doesn't have to play a good team until the finals. They will arrive at MLS Cup refreshed and ready (and likely with home-field advantage). Meanwhile, the western champion will have run themselves ragged plowing through a murderer's row playoff schedule. They will arrive at MLS Cup spent, injured, and road-weary.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    middle paragraph

25. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just get a single table already? They can even keep the unbalanced schedule if they want. Doesn't the NFL have the stronger teams playing a stronger schedule when they play their non-division, non-conference opponents? Why can't we do something similar?

I don't get it.