RSL @ The EarthQuacks, 3/3/2013 @ 8:00 PM UST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    We should admit it. Really SJ is no match for a 11 man RSL team. 10 maybe, 9 definitely. Refs didn't do SJ any favors. Pretty well officiated match, but funny how they have Mansally a yellow for delay, but minutes after the one SJ dude clipped Findley and got a yellow. He fouled, and then carried the ball down the field. Should have been his second yellow. No?

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts on the match:
    • The first 30 or so minutes of this game were all SJ. Honestly, I have no idea how they didn't score - especially given how they seemed to score at will last year.
    • Once we settled in, though, we showed good promise and (get this) we actually shot the ball from outside the box on occassion. It was like I was watching a different team.
    • Kenny Mansally isn't MLS starting material. I'm not even sure he is MLS quality period. The guy was passing the ball more to San Jose than RSL and got burned on multiple occassions. We're going to be giving up goals with him out there this season.
    • The other 3 defenders did well to cover for Kenny. Schuler, in particular, was just a beast. So long as he can find a way to stay healthy, we're awesome in the back.
    • In the middle - I'm not a fan of Stephenson starting. I think the guy will be good roster rotation and such long-term, but to be a midfielder in our system is pretty damn demanding. Our midfield wasn't at it's best (or even close to, especially in the first half) and it was largely in part to Stepehenson's speed (or lack thereof) and sloppiness with the ball
    • On the flip side, Velasquez was terrific. As he got more involved in the play - became more centrally focused - RSL improved. This kid is so damn fun to watch play. I really hope Kreis is playing him at RM purely so that when Javi is back (knock on wood) the both of them can be out there.
    • We really need to make a chant about how all Sabo does is score goals. Serioulsy, it's all he does
    • Plata, in my opinion, is better utilized as a super sub. His speed and tenacity will be awesome (as we saw) at around the 60th minute. He'll bug the crap out of defenders who have had to deal with the size of Sabo or the speed of Findley all game.
    • Also, I love the play of Yordany in situations like that - up a goal and preserving the lead. The guy just flows with the play so well. He isn't good as a starter if KB is starting too, but in the game situation like that (which we hope to be in quite often) he is the best option.
    • Lastly, lets all remember this is just one game. We beat LA at their place to open the season and then followed it with a loss at home to ********ing Chivas. It's a long season and we're off to a good start, but you win nothing in March.

SoccerPrime, ShaggyReAL, TheBiff and 5 others repped this.
  3. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

This post gets an "A".

4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we are say---ing is Sabo scores Goals.

Mansally is an experiment - a guy learning a position. He has enough athleticism, speed, agility to make up for some of his mistakes. I don't think it's near time to give up on him. If Kreis wanted conservative he'd have Palmer in there, but clearly he saw something in Mansally (pace) he liked. Dude can pass the ball, he just freaked a little in that game. Positioning - of ALL things - can be taught. I'm not saying he was man of the match. I just do not think it's time to set him on fire...and I loved how Kenny got his head/body/legs in the way of passes many times. He was extremely active and disruptive (both ways).

Same's true with Khari. I really appreciated the pressure on SJ's back line - which is pressure that Javier rarely, if ever, has applied since his bad injury. That made a difference in this match. It's not pretty, it's not classic AM, but he was a thorn in San Jose's side and contributed some aggression and toughness to the effort that stemmed SJ's tide (just barely) before leaving RSL fresher and able to take advantage of a more open field in the final 30.

pcny, RSLer, d1ddy and 1 other person repped this.
  5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Reserves win 1-0 with a goal from the Lobo

TheBiff, d1ddy, UPinSLC and 1 other person repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny has been with the squad almost a year now and he is making the exact same mistakes he made when he got here. I know it takes time, but when you routinely geat beat on a weak side run it might be time to turn the page. I was really hoping he was our answer to LB depth, but I just don't see it. Athleticism is great, but the dude is relying on it so damn much right now to not be a complete fool out there.

Stephenson, on the other hand, I'm willing to wait on. He just came in and I thought he was a pretty good player while at San Jose. If we're healthy as a unit, though, he is going to be bench material at best. I like his size and vision, but he lacks pace and seems sloppy with the ball (not just based on this games observation)

8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mattymatumbo

Mattymatumbo Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think they just had twins. There was a bunch of congratulatory tweets up a week or two ago. Andy's wife had/has cancer, unless that's two RSL families unfortunate enough to deal with that disease.

Edit: Yes, she had twins. http://www.rslsoapbox.com/rsl-inter...turn-to-camp-captain-left-out-of-us-wcq-squad

SoccerPrime repped this.
  10. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah, I feel this is important. It's easy to say that plata should be the starter after his amazing debut, but we need to remember that he came in as a sub. What if we had started him and subbed in Findley? Who knows if Findley would have done something similar as a sub.
    We still need more time to figure out this team.

I am happy that we seem to have more than 2 good forwards. I hope our strikers really compete for a spot in the starting XI.

11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That article you reference is from over a month ago...

Obviously something else is going on. I hope Ned's wife will be okay.

12. standard

standard Member

Aug 10, 2009
    central Illinois
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then disregard what i said about cancer, hopefully.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch what Rimando said after the game with his interview with Dunny and Bill?
    He hoped that the Grabavoy family was doing well but I don't think I caught all of it.

Regardless, hope all is well. Ned seems to be one of the genuinely great guys both on and off the field in this league.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I don't know if I've seen Nat beat on more than a couple occasions on a header in all the years he's played for RSL. You're on a high.

15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I hear Ned's wife is having complications resulting from the birth of twins. Can't confirm it though.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am ecstatic for the win last night, its sad to think of Ned's family. I hope they are okay.

17. GoReal

GoReal Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Orem, Utah
    The only thing that can be won in March are the games in March! "One game at a time." is more than a cliche term.

BalanceUT repped this.